Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Exclamation Need Help - MacBook Pro not starting up.

Hi all,

I've searched the net for hours on end trying to find a solution for my following problem.

I've got a MacBook Pro 15" 2012 era.

Not long ago it was jamming up while I was using it and displaying lines on the screen. I first tried reformatting, it jammed up in the middle of this so I believe I am left with no operating system at the moment. I then decided to replace the RAM, same thing kept happening. When I hold down Command + R on startup, it shows the Apple logo with a loading bar under it for a minute or two and then the screen goes white and shows nothing.

If I don't hold Command R on startup, it shows the loading bar and then goes to a circle with a cross through it (I've read on this and this is probably because it doesn't have an operating system.

I've also tried loading El Capitan onto a USB stick and holding option and trying to boot from the USB, but the same white screen shows up.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, I'm now thinking it might be a faulty HDD but I don't wanna go buying a new one and be back at the start.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
     20" iMac (2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM)
     iPod Video (White - 30GB)
     iPhone 3GS (Black - 16GB)

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

It's probably a faulty logic board. You need to take it to Apple.

It probably won't help as I suspect the motherboard as well, but have you tried zapping the PRAM or an SMC reset?