Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default FTTP - NBN modem/router and Airport extreme

Hi All,

Looking for some advice and pointing in the right direction.

1A) My understanding is: if you have FTTP that you don't require a modem/router any more, you only require a router - Is this correct?
    1B) If I still require a modem/router - does anyone have any suggestions?
    2A) If I don't require a modem, then the best suited to my Apple products is the Airport Extreme? However, what other options are there? I have heard that the Sinology 1900 router is Mac and NAS friendly - does anyone have first hand knowledge?
    2B) What routers do you suggest/recommend for use with FTTP NBN service - apart from what is provided by the ISP?

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this - please feel free to move as required.

Looking forward to your feedback/advice.

Cheers
    Blaz
    MBP 2011 / IP6s / iPad Air 2

Quote Originally Posted by Blazbo View Post
    1A) My understanding is: if you have FTTP that you don't require a modem/router any more, you only require a router - Is this correct?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazbo View Post
    2A) If I don't require a modem, then the best suited to my Apple products is the Airport Extreme?
    That's what I'm using for my FTTP connection - 5th Generation Extreme - Works well.

Note. Depending on your RSP, the PPPoE authentication (Connection login name & password) will be done either in the FTTP NTD or in the Airport Extreme. If PPPoE authentication in the Extreme then be aware that the Extreme does not support IPv6 routing over PPPoE

Quote Originally Posted by Alan53 View Post
    Yes
    Note. Depending on your RSP, the PPPoE authentication (Connection login name & password) will be done either in the FTTP NTD or in the Airport Extreme. If PPPoE authentication in the Extreme then be aware that the Extreme does not support IPv6 routing over PPPoE
    Thanks for the heads-up A53 - much appreciated.
    Could you elaborate/explain the RSP/PPPoE/NTD/IPv6 etc quote above please? I'm only computer friendly not savvy

Thanx again,

Blaz
    MBP 2011 / IP6s / iPad Air 2

RSP = What NBN Co (Wholesaler) call the Retail Service Providers retailing Internet, Telephone, Pay TV, etc. services on the NBN
    NTD = Network Terminating Device - The box installed in the house - Converts the 2.5Gbps fibre optical signal to the Ethernet signal running at whichever 12/25/50/100 Mbps service you are paying for.
    PPPoE = Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet - Used for authentication of user name and password.
    IPv6 = Internet Protocol version 6 - The future Internet protocol replacing IPv4, currently an option with some service providers. For more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
    With your apparent lack of knowledge I would not worry about IPv6 at this time.