Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default A year without a new iPad ?

February is almost upon us and not even rumours or sneak peeks for possible features. Nothing at all. Given that the march show is about when they would show a new one it's looking like the iPad Air 2 may be with us for another year. Thoughts anyone?
    iMac 27" i7, 16GB RAM Late 2009 running El Capitan, iPhone 6 64GB and iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G, ATV2

I suspect that the iPad Air 2 will stay with us until they can produce a Force Touch display in relevant numbers for the iPad which is probably (from what I have read) 6-12 months away.

Quote Originally Posted by PCKid View Post
    February is almost upon us and not even rumours or sneak peeks for possible features. Nothing at all. Given that the march show is about when they would show a new one it's looking like the iPad Air 2 may be with us for another year. Thoughts anyone?
    I think there will be something new in Mach but it will be very similar to the Air 2. No new form factor. I think Apple may have things a bit more under wraps at the moment. I'm expecting the Air 2 body with an A9X, new touch ID, etc.

Anyway, thats what I hope, as I have family members who are clinging onto iPad 2's, but I can not justify recommending the iPad Air 2 at this point.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I think there will be something new in Mach but it will be very similar to the Air 2. No new form factor. I think Apple may have things a bit more under wraps at the moment. I'm expecting the Air 2 body with an A9X, new touch ID, etc.

Anyway, thats what I hope, as I have family members who are clinging onto iPad 2's, but I can not justify recommending the iPad Air 2 at this point.
    I'm the same. Have an iPad Air original. Still fine as Air 2 didn't give me any reason to upgrade. But my wife has an iPad 2 running the last version of iOS 6 and it runs fine but battery is lasting less and less and she really needs an upgrade but unless it dies completely no reason to upgrade. I use it occasionally and it's still an amazing piece of technology. For her needs it lacks nothing. Me I'm a gamer so I buy the hardware to play the game. Meaning if a game that I had to have that wouldn't work on the first Gen Air or was slow on it I would upgrade. Otherwise no need to. So far none of them have needed an upgrade. They are mostly games that need a fair bit of processor power. Turn based war simulations and RTS games and the Air is just fine. There would need to be a significant jump in the next one for me to even swap out the Air. Therin lies the problem for the iPad I think. Really what more can they do to it? Personally I have never used the camera in it. I have an iPhone for that. What I would like to see is an OLED screen that you can read in bright sunlight and better battery.
    Last edited by PCKid; 25th January 2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    iMac 27" i7, 16GB RAM Late 2009 running El Capitan, iPhone 6 64GB and iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G, ATV2

There are rumors around of an iPad Air 3 but I wouldn't get too excited, many web sites are saying 'rumored to be the same form factor as the iPad Air 2 (but with improved specifications)', although some differ.

iPad Air 3 release date, new features, specs, UK price rumours - News - Macworld UK
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    Force Touch display
    I never use Force Touch on my iPhone 6S. Not a feature I care about on an iPad.
    Late 2015 - 4.7" iPhone 6s (Silver), 1.8 GHz 16nm TSMC A9, 128GB, iOS 9.2
    Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

Which all ties in nicely to Apple's perceived problems at the moment. Not enough of us thought we needed to update our phones and not enough think we need to update our iPads.

I managed to to pick up an Air 2 last year when Officeworks was doing the 64GB at the 16GB price, so I suspect it will be a fair while until I upgrade that again.

Toss in the cost factor and it might be when I do upgrade it isn't even an iPad I get.

As an aside I saw someone with an an iPad Pro in the wild the other day and my first thought was that just looks stupid and way to big for a tablet.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Which all ties in nicely to Apple's perceived problems at the moment. Not enough of us thought we needed to update our phones and not enough think we need to update our iPads.

I managed to to pick up an Air 2 last year when Officeworks was doing the 64GB at the 16GB price, so I suspect it will be a fair while until I upgrade that again.

Toss in the cost factor and it might be when I do upgrade it isn't even an iPad I get.

As an aside I saw someone with an an iPad Pro in the wild the other day and my first thought was that just looks stupid and way to big for a tablet.
    The latest rumours are that the Air 3 will have 4GB of ram, a 4K display and better battery life. Honestly I think a 4K display on an iPad Air is overkill and will drain resources unnecessarily.

I'd be more than happy with an A9X + 4GB of ram + better battery life. I think the stronger metal used on the 6S would also possibly be a good addition possibly to solve the Air 2 screen vibration issues.

I think at the end of the day, if the Air 3 has 2GB of ram, its not a sale for me. I feel the best way to ensure longevity is to buy the devices that have CPU + GPU + RAM improvements. The best lasting iPhones and iPads have had this.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Honestly I think a 4K display on an iPad Air is overkill and will drain resources unnecessarily.
    It might be useful if one can mirror the display to a 4K TV but for people who use the iPad for viewing I agree it's a waste of $ and resources, and honestly who's actually got the bandwidth to stream 4K on their connection anyway? A lucky few...
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    It might be useful if one can mirror the display to a 4K TV but for people who use the iPad for viewing I agree it's a waste of $ and resources, and honestly who's actually got the bandwidth to stream 4K on their connection anyway? A lucky few...
    They could implement mirroring to a 4K display ( through a 4K Apple tv) without putting a 4K panel on the iPad. I have both a 4K display (Well my family) and enough speed to steam 4K content alright, so it would be good to be able to stream 4K video from the iPhone onto the Apple TV.