Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default CD wont insert / eject Macbook pro?

CD slot just wont accept a CD. Nothing happens when I push the eject button. Is there something I can check? Drivers need reinstalling etc? Pretty sure theres nothing inside jammed. Don't have kids etc. Any help appreciated

Shut the machine down, then restart while holding down the eject key on the keyboard while the machine starts up to forcibly eject and disks that might be stuck in the drive. If the eject mechanism keeps try to eject and cannot try sliding another optical disk part way into the slot to force the stuck disk down a little then remove the disk and the stuck disk should eject.

The other thing you could try is a PRAM reset, power off the machine then hold down the command + option + p + r keys and power the machine one, wait until after the second startup chime then release all four keys and let the machine start up. Once OS X has started try putting a disk in your drive again.

I suspect if none of the above options work then you may have a faulty optical drive and it would need to be replaced (assuming you actually need one these days), one option is a cheap USB optical drive - but keep in mind that I have read that you cannot install Windows for Bootcamp from anything other than an internal optical drive if your machine supports one.

Appreciate Ur help. Have tried all that to no avail. Incidentally the drive has been dead since upgrading to Yosemite, apparently a common issue many others have experienced. I upgraded to El capitan hoping to solve it. Of course the drive could be physically dead I guess. Just nothing. Machine doesn't even recognize the drive in disk utility. Anything else I can try? Mainly use the disk drive for burning DVDs

I have a similar problem. Imac running El Cap. DVD I have used many times, I loaded it and get a message "Supported disc not available". Can't eject via the player or the eject key. Tried turning off several times. Each time I tried a variation of the mouse wheel and eject button.Also tried logging off and back on. Non of these work and the disk doesn't show in finder. Any bright ideas guys?

Geoff