Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Dear Tim, I want my money back

On Friday evening I sent the email below to Tim Cook, in the hope that by going directly to the top I can get this situation resolved as to this point I have been deeply disappointed with Apples handling of these issues. I don;t hold much hope but having an almost useless piece of equipment that cost well over $1000 is far from acceptable.

Hi Tim

I am not normally one to write emails in such a tone as this one but I feel like I have been let down majorly by Apple and I have no option but to approach you directly for your assistance.

I've had a plethora of issues with my iPhone 6 since iOS 9 was released and Apple just don't seem to care, they keep blaming the hardware when it is very clear to me that this is not the issue.

The issues are:

Auto-correct - its suggestions and automatic replacements are laughable and make no sense at all in most cases, resetting the keyboard dictionary resolves the issue for a week or two and then the problem reoccurs

iMessage - extremely slow to send messages and messages are often not actually delivered and it fails to give the option to send as a text message, this happens on both Wifi and cellular connections and does not appear to be network related as other applications which are reliant on Internet connectivity work without any issues.

Freezes and lack ups - both the entire phone and random applications lock up from time to time and the only way to resolve the issue is to hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons until the Apple logo appears then release the buttons

Siri - this service is a total joke, its ability to recognize what is said and act accordingly is pathetic. eg. I ask it to "call my wife" sometimes it works and other times I get "I'm sorry I don't know who your wife is", even though it has been told and responded to the same request phrased in exactly the same way in the past (often that same day or even a few minutes before)

Finger print reader - the reliability of the fingerprint reader on the phone is terrible! When I raised the issue with Applecare support their response was "you might need to retrain it to recognize the finger". Yes that works for a while but needs to be done again about every 2 weeks.

Sorry Apple but that's a fail and you support or downright terrible.

I have raised theses issues with Applecare Support on no less than 3 occasions and they are of the opinion that there is a hardware issue with the phone, if that were the case why did I not have these issues until iOS 9 was released? It is very very clear that these are software/firmware issues and these have made the phone more or less unusable and as such I would like my money back as the device is clearly not suitable for the purpose for which is was sold and this is my legal right under NZ Consumer Laws.

When I said this to Applecare their response was that they only refund in the fist 14 days of purchase, this is in breach of NZ Consumer Laws and if I cannot get a suitable outcome to this I will have no option but to seek guidance from the NZ Commerce Commission taking this further and have the purchase refunded in full so that I can buy a phone that works.

If you, or an Apple representative would like to contact me regarding these issues please feel free to reply to this email or alternatively you can call me on +xx xxx xxxxx

Regards
    Last edited by MadKiwi; 22nd November 2015 at 08:32 AM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    On Friday evening I sent the email below to Tim Cook, in the hope that by going directly to the top I can get this situation resolved as to this point I have been deeply disappointed with Apples handling of these issues. I don;t hold much hope but having an almost useless piece of equipment that cost well over $1000 is far from acceptable.

Hi Tim

I am not normally one to write emails in such a tone as this one but I feel like I have been let down majorly by Apple and I have no option but to approach you directly for your assistance.

I've had a plethora of issues with my iPhone 6 since iOS 9 was released and Apple just don't seem to care, they keep blaming the hardware when it is very clear to me that this is not the issue.

The issues are:

Auto-correct - its suggestions and automatic replacements are laughable and make no sense at all in most cases, resetting the keyboard dictionary resolves the issue for a week or two and then the problem reoccurs

iMessage - extremely slow to send messages and messages are often not actually delivered and it fails to give the option to send as a text message, this happens on both Wifi and cellular connections and does not appear to be network related as other applications which are reliant on Internet connectivity work without any issues.

Freezes and lack ups - both the entire phone and random applications lock up from time to time and the only way to resolve the issue is to hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons until the Apple logo appears then release the buttons

Siri - this service is a total joke, its ability to recognize what is said and act accordingly is pathetic. eg. I ask it to "call my wife" sometimes it works and other times I get "I'm sorry I don't know who your wife is", even though it has been told and responded to the same request phrased in exactly the same way in the past (often that same day or even a few minutes before)

Finger print reader - the reliability of the fingerprint reader on the phone is terrible! When I raised the issue with Applecare support their response was "you might need to retrain it to recognize the finger". Yes that works for a while but needs to be done again about every 2 weeks.

Sorry Apple but that's a fail and you support or downright terrible.

I have raised theses issues with Applecare Support on no less than 3 occasions and they are of the opinion that there is a hardware issue with the phone, if that were the case why did I not have these issues until iOS 9 was released? It is very very clear that these are software/firmware issues and these have made the phone more or less unusable and as such I would like my money back as the device is clearly not suitable for the purpose for which is was sold and this is my legal right under NZ Consumer Laws.

When I said this to Applecare their response was that they only refund in the fist 14 days of purchase, this is in breach of NZ Consumer Laws and if I cannot get a suitable outcome to this I will have no option but to seek guidance from the NZ Commerce Commission taking this further and have the purchase refunded in full so that I can buy a phone that works.

If you, or an Apple representative would like to contact me regarding these issues please feel free to reply to this email or alternatively you can call me on +xx xxx xxxxx

Regards
    The above problems aren't widespread (I.e. Not every user) so my guess is that it is something unique to your install. As an example, I have none of the above issues.

Have you tried a fresh install (not from backup)?
    Redownloading iOS in case it's a corrupt download?
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

The phone has been DFU reset twice with a clean install (and download) of iOS 9.1 set up as a new phone each time.

I have had issues ever since iOS 9 - none of which occurred with iOS 8, especially with auto correct offering ridiculous suggestions and the finger print reader being FAR from reliable.

Phone is a very simple set up, no unusual apps or configuration.

I suppose that there is a slim chance that some sort of hardware issue occurred around the same time as iOS 9 was released so may just end up having to take the phone in to an authorised repair centre here (we have no Apple Stores in NZ) and see what happens. I have AppleCare+ on the phone after all.

You need to try AppleCare's proposed solution, which means they will repair or replace your phone. If your problem is not resolved after taking their process as far as you can go, then you have grounds for complaint. You convincing yourself that it can't possibly be hardware is the roadblock at this point.

Fair point, I'll try and get it in to a service center this week (assuming I can get in to town during working hours)

Yep, faulty equipment is a PITA - I've had three electronic devices fail in the past 6 months and it's a real time sink. Practically unavoidable though, and dealing with other companies' faulty products and customer service can help one to appreciate just how much Apple stand out. Not always I know, but I've always had good results myself and found them very keen to keep me happy. The contrast between them and Samsung, for e.g., is like night and day.

Yes very true. I have had no end of issues with Samsung with my daughters tablet as well as issues with our Samsung TV that at 4 years old has had 2 HDMI inputs die - this should be reasonably covered under the Consumer Guarantees Act here in NZ as the life time of a TV should be well over 4 years, Samsung don't want to know about it and I'm still waiting for a response from the retailer (Harvey Norman).

Apple on the other hand have indeed been more than willing to have things checked out on my iPhone so when I get the chance to get another phone to use for the time mine is away and get it in to a service centre I will.