Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Has Mactalk died?

Is this place still alive? No news or views for ages and seems to have died? Whats up?

It's dead. If you want familiar names and some discussions I'd recommend you take your bat and ball and head over to appletalk.com.au.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Part of the reason it died is that google now points to another site and niche hasn't bothered to fix it.

As people said, head to Appletalk.com.au
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Part of the reason it died is that google now points to another site and niche hasn't bothered to fix it.
    It seems that Niche pretty much killed the site. Didn't they... you know... pay for it?

MacTalk is essentially shut down. The members made that decision several months ago. The initial exodus started last January, but the members were gracious enough to stick around for an additional 18 months while we attempted to enact a rescue plan. It wasn't successful, and all work on the site has since been halted.

Those primarily involved with MacTalk have since thrown their support behind AppleTalk Australia, which now serves as the main gathering point for former MacTalk members. They have done an exceptional job of recapturing the spirit of AppleTalk and MacTalk in earlier days and I highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThankDog View Post
    It seems that Niche pretty much killed the site. Didn't they... you know... pay for it?
    A not-insignificant amount at that. It's become mostly a write-off now.
    Last edited by iMic; 31st October 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cybs View Post
    Is this place still alive? No news or views for ages and seems to have died? Whats up?
    News will be starting up very soon again for those who want to stick around here. Its my job, I have had various family and other circumstances which have kept me from having the time over the last month.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by iMic View Post
    MacTalk is essentially shut down. The members made that decision several months ago. The initial exodus started last January, but the members were gracious enough to stick around for an additional 18 months while we attempted to enact a rescue plan. It wasn't successful, and all work on the site has since been halted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    News will be starting up very soon again for those who want to stick around here. Its my job, I have had various family and other circumstances which have kept me from having the time over the last month.
    Good luck Oldmac, I seldom call in here anymore, been around for a few years now, but like others, just lost the interest since "it all changed"

Everyone has set up over at appletalk.com.au for those of you who have yet to make the migration :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iMic View Post
    A not-insignificant amount at that. It's become mostly a write-off now.
    That seems like a very poor business decision.

I don't like AppleTalk's forums structure. It's too much like a mobile email app. That's great for my iPhones. Not so great for my 23" monitor.
    iPhone 6S Rose Gold 642GB | iPhone 5C Pink 32GB | iPhone 4 White 32GB | MacBook Pro 2013 | Time Capsule 1TB |