Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Apple TV 4 now available

A bit more than the guesstimate. $239 and $349. But with the recent $ adjustment that's seems about right. Bloody Aussie dollar. Still will grab the 64gb one. At least we get the proper remote down under.
    iMac 27" i7, 16GB RAM Late 2009 running El Capitan, iPhone 6 64GB and iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G, ATV2

Ludicrous pricing here in NZ $299 and $399 and no drop in price for the old model.

I'll spend my money on a couple more Raspberry Pi's and run Plex instead for media

Not cheap! 32GB model is 1.81 x that of US price, 64GB model is 1.75 x that of US price. 1 $US currently buys 1.39 $Aus.

I think I'll wait until the reviews of real use come out and see if the 32 GB will do me. Hope Plex and catch-up TV apps arrive soon as well.
    Last edited by SteveClark; 27th October 2015 at 10:06 AM.
    MacBook Pro 13", 64gb iPod Touch 5G

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    Ludicrous pricing here in NZ $299 and $399 and no drop in price for the old model.

I'll spend my money on a couple more Raspberry Pi's and run Plex instead for media
    Ha! The main feature I'm looking forward to is finally being able to run Plex (instead of PlexConnect). :P Secondary feature I'm looking forward to is Infuse or similar apps. Then more catchup services maintained regularly similarly to how iOS apps are.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveClark View Post
    Hope Plex and catch-up TV apps arrive soon as well.
    There's confirmed at least one (probably more) third party Plex clients submitted. The Plex twitter account tweeted something that suggests they'll be ready at launch too. iMore (or someone) asked who would be ready for reviews on launch day, Plex responded saying them - though they could just be planning to get a prerelease/dev testing version to iMore for said review. So between that and me presuming XML apps on the ATV3 will be ported over, I should be set to switch over to the ATV4 as soon as mine arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Sheep View Post
    Ha! The main feature I'm looking forward to is finally being able to run Plex (instead of PlexConnect). :P Secondary feature I'm looking forward to is Infuse or similar apps. Then more catchup services maintained regularly similarly to how iOS apps are.

There's confirmed at least one (probably more) third party Plex clients submitted. The Plex twitter account tweeted something that suggests they'll be ready at launch too. iMore (or someone) asked who would be ready for reviews on launch day, Plex responded saying them - though they could just be planning to get a prerelease/dev testing version to iMore for said review. So between that and me presuming XML apps on the ATV3 will be ported over, I should be set to switch over to the ATV4 as soon as mine arrives.
    Me too. For a good Plex it will be worth it alone. InFuse is quite nice but I always go back to Plex. It just looks a lot nicer an it's metadata collecting is way better. Got some really odd choices with inFuse. Also if Plex occasionally gets it wrong it's very easy to correct. The only problem I've had with PlexConnect is if you turn on your VPN it loses connection and have to turn off the VPN. Then log out and log back in to Plex.
    iMac 27" i7, 16GB RAM Late 2009 running El Capitan, iPhone 6 64GB and iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G, ATV2

I use Infuse on my iDevices for things my ATV uses "Home Videos" for. I'll be glad to be rid of the "Home Videos" section in Plex and just using Infuse or some other program that can browse the LAN. Hoping LiveStream.com get a client up and running before the next AIHL season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by PCKid View Post
    Me too. For a good Plex it will be worth it alone. InFuse is quite nice but I always go back to Plex. It just looks a lot nicer an it's metadata collecting is way better. Got some really odd choices with inFuse. Also if Plex occasionally gets it wrong it's very easy to correct. The only problem I've had with PlexConnect is if you turn on your VPN it loses connection and have to turn off the VPN. Then log out and log back in to Plex.
    Give the Plex/PlexConnect host a static IP, specify the IP's to use in settings.cfg and atvsettings.cfg, Bob's your uncle. I've always got a VPN running on my Plex/PlexConnect server, so the autodetect tended to pick up the VPN IP's rather than the LAN IP's until I did this.

Unfortunately its a no go from me. $349 is too much for a deice that is already outdated for my needs (No 4K)
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Give the Plex/PlexConnect host a static IP, specify the IP's to use in settings.cfg and atvsettings.cfg, Bob's your uncle. I've always got a VPN running on my Plex/PlexConnect server, so the autodetect tended to pick up the VPN IP's rather than the LAN IP's until I did this.
    thanks for that. But where are those two configure files kept?

Can't say I see myself paying that much for an Apple TV. Also really interested in just how expensive the iPad Pro will be when it prices.

Think i I can survive with my current gen Apple TV and streaming from the iPad when I need it.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Unfortunately its a no go from me. $349 is too much for a deice that is already outdated for my needs (No 4K)
    A lot of people are saying it's outdated from release, myself included. Prior to the announcement I posted elsewhere saying any company that releases a media server/gaming console that isn't 4K from anytime from mid-year this year onwards is doing themselves and their customers a disservice, and putting themselves behind the game. I still stand by that. Even though I don't have a 4K TV myself and don't plan on one any time soon (I only upgraded this year from a CRT to a 140cm 1080p LCD TV) I still think it's ridiculous Apple didn't give the ATV4 BT4.2 (it only has 4.0), 4K, HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2. I'm still getting one though as I've been hanging for native non-itunes players and iOS-style apps for a LONG time. The lack of these things was even part of why it took me so long to upgrade my TV and get an ATV3. Game controller due tomorrow, 64GB ATV4 due Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by PCKid View Post
    thanks for that. But where are those two configure files kept?
    On my OSX Plex/PlexConnect server those two files are in /Applications/plexconnect-master/

Actually, it's just settings.cfg that needs to be modified. I'm actually looking at the files now (before was speaking from memory). The settings you need are:

enable_plexgdm = False
    ip_pms = *LAN IP Address of Plex Media Server*
    ip_dnsmaster = *LAN IP Address of home router or DNS servers accessible both with & without VPN*
    enable_plexconnect_autodetect = False
    ip_plexconnect = *LAN IP Address of PlexConnect Server*

Everything else, what it puts in there to get working already will be fine.

Cheers

A lot of people are saying it's outdated from release, myself included. Prior to the announcement I posted elsewhere saying any company that releases a media server/gaming console that isn't 4K from anytime from mid-year this year onwards is doing themselves and their customers a disservice, and putting themselves behind the game. I still stand by that. Even though I don't have a 4K TV myself and don't plan on one any time soon (I only upgraded this year from a CRT to a 140cm 1080p LCD TV) I still think it's ridiculous Apple didn't give the ATV4 BT4.2 (it only has 4.0), 4K, HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2. I'm still getting one though as I've been hanging for native non-itunes players and iOS-style apps for a LONG time. The lack of these things was even part of why it took me so long to upgrade my TV and get an ATV3. Game controller due tomorrow, 64GB ATV4 due Tuesday.

On my OSX Plex/PlexConnect server those two files are in /Applications/plexconnect-master/

Actually, it's just settings.cfg that needs to be modified. I'm actually looking at the files now (before was speaking from memory). The settings you need are:

enable_plexgdm = False
    ip_pms = *LAN IP Address of Plex Media Server*
    ip_dnsmaster = *LAN IP Address of home router or DNS servers accessible both with & without VPN*
    enable_plexconnect_autodetect = False
    ip_plexconnect = *LAN IP Address of PlexConnect Server*

Everything else, what it puts in there to get working already will be fine.
    I'm glad you also think it should have 4K support.

I've been told numerous times everywhere that 4K doesn't matter, 4K is a gimmick blah blah blah. A lot of Apple fans will go out of the way to shoot down technology that Apple doesn't support, then turn around the other way when apple inevitably supports it with the next version. The fact is that 4K TVs are getting adopted at a slow but certain place, there will be more and more 4K content available and the 6S records in 4K so why is there no support?

The reason is so they have a selling point for the Apple TV 5, and so they can cut costs for higher profit margins (Tim Cook's favourite activity).
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Yep, Apple is all about profit and mediocre products now. They no longer produce items with the 'wow factor' (other than - wow that is expensive!).

This long time Apple user won't be spending any more of his hard earned cash on Apple gear.

Case in point why get an Apple TV for Plex at $299 NZ when I can get a $89 Raspberry Pi 2 that will do it just as well.

The fact is that 4K TVs are getting adopted at a slow but certain place
    If you want a high end screen/TV these days it's only available as 4K. That's more than enough reason as to why any devices that use a TV as a screen or out put should support 4K as a minimum from this point on.

The reason is so they have a selling point for the Apple TV 5, and so they can cut costs for higher profit margins
    A cynical person would say that now they have an app store for ATV's they're going to have to have a regular release cycle with updated specs, so they're saving 4K to be bonus features and selling points for future ones for people who wouldn't otherwise be upgrading.

IIRC HDCP2.2 only just came out, HDMI2.0 isn't that widely supported as yet. Most companies who do 4K do it through HDMI1.4 which only supports a 30Hz refresh rate. Theoretically/supposedly a 30Hz refresh rate isn't visible to our eyes, yet most people can see something offputting when you have that. Most people prefer 50/60Hz refresh, which will come when HDMI2.0 is more standard - that's possibly and less cynically what Apple are waiting for. That and iTunes online to be ready with 4K content.

Case in point why get an Apple TV for Plex at $299 NZ when I can get a $89 Raspberry Pi 2 that will do it just as well.
    I want one device plugged in to my TV to do everything. For me "everything" includes AirPlay, which is why I held out for an AppleTV. Originally it was a BeyonWiz PVR in a TV for TV & local media from a file share. Then it became a computer because I was watching more online content and less live tv. Now on top of local media from a file share (now available via a plex server) I get a lot of content from apps on an iOS phone which I can't chromecast so it has to be airplay. Local iOS apps on the ATV would be even better. With the number of hours use I'll get out of it, I'll happily spend the amount Apple is asking for the accessibility I want and single device convenience.
    Last edited by Bastard Sheep; 29th October 2015 at 06:51 AM.

Tassiecelt Guest

Yep, Apple is all about profit and mediocre products now. They no longer produce items with the 'wow factor' (other than - wow that is expensive!).

This long time Apple user won't be spending any more of his hard earned cash on Apple gear.

i agree, Apple is not what it was.

agreed xbox one is much better value and is cheap, APPLE TV is a complete fail for Australians and NZers you can get xbox one now for $349 dollars ! it makes the apple TV look like a JOKE, you can run plex ON XBOX ONE, run any media to it, it upscales , has blue ray player and it plays kick arse games... whats the apple TV do ??? not much !!!
    visit my blog.......
    Follow my twitter at http://twitter.com/normandy_sr2
    Follow my PING @ Normandy SR2

I'm not saying the new Apple TV is good value (it isn't) but the XBox one isn't perfect either.

There's still no Presto client for it, Bigpond movies aren't available on it and other Aus specific stuff is missing too.

Instead I spent $109 and bought a Telstra Roku 2 which gives me STAN, Presto unmetered (I use Presto more than Netflix), it's got Bigpond Movies (unmetered) and it's got 3 Aus catch up TV services (soon to be all 5).

Given that I'm on a Telstra only exchange I don't get many high quota decent ISP choices so unmetered and Telstra is a decent combination.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

That right there is why there's so many devices. No one device is perfect. No one device suits everyone. Horses for courses. Look at what they offer, what you want out of a device and get the one that best suits you.

For me AirPlay is essential. I made that decision after a lot of reading around and before I even got an ATV3 and it's just been confirmed since getting an ATV3. PlexConnect filled a gap in the ATV3 that dedicated apps will fill better, and dedicated apps will also mean less need to use AirPlay but it will still be a must.

I wonder if the AFL TV Subscription will be available for the new Apple TV. Can anyone confirm it is available on other platforms? Last season I mirrored it from my iPod Touch. Usually fine but sometimes unwatchable.
    MacBook Pro 13", 64gb iPod Touch 5G

That right there is why there's so many devices. No one device is perfect. No one device suits everyone. Horses for courses. Look at what they offer, what you want out of a device and get the one that best suits you.

For me AirPlay is essential. I made that decision after a lot of reading around and before I even got an ATV3 and it's just been confirmed since getting an ATV3. PlexConnect filled a gap in the ATV3 that dedicated apps will fill better, and dedicated apps will also mean less need to use AirPlay but it will still be a must.
    Slightly unrelated but since ios 9 whenever i try to use airplay to my ATV 2 all I get is audio. Can't find a lot googling it but seems i'm not alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast