Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question New router blocking Mac App Store?

I just added an ASUS router to my iiNet Bob Lite modem. All seems to be working well, despite dual NAT setup apart from the Mac App Store. How can I get it back?
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

Why are you double NAting? This shouldn't be necessary and can cause issues with a number of apps and services.

When you say its blocking access to the App Store, what is actually happening? Do you get any errors displayed?

I am not double NATing on purpose, only I have been told that putting Boblite in bridging mode would disable my VOIP which is working through it. Not sure how to use the new router while keeping VOIP going on Bob.
    When i go to mac App store, the store window opens, but no content is loaded within the window. I only see the menu icons across the top. There is the loading progress icon spinning away, but nothing ever loads. No error messages. So far, this is the only site or app I have had trouble with.
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

I just plugged the router into an ethernet port on Bob, ran the setup utility for the router, connected all my devices to new IP addresses and disabled wifi on Bob. Everything is working ok I think except the mac app store.

Cant you turn off the routing on the ASUS so it just acts as a wireless access point?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

I don't know - I bought the router for the awesome parental controls and QoS monitoring. If I turn off the routing will I still be able to control my kids ??? lol

It should still do that running as a pure AP

Sucks that it kills the VOIP in bridge mode, can you run an alternative VOIP ATA?

I've used the Linksys SPA 3102 in the past and it always worked perfectly. You can get a second hand one dirt cheap on eBay. (will pull it out soon too).

linksys spa 3102 | eBay
    Drive a VW?

Maybe, if I knew how to set it up! Any clues? That model is a voip gateway with router - will that create yet another NAT problem? Do I need the router functionality? Will a VOIP adapter work too? They are cheaper. Thanks so much for helping!

I found one starting for $1 so I put a bid on. Worth a try!

Assuming the BobLite is your basic modem / router / VOIP all in one device there should be no reason you can't have three seperate devices.

Bob as the modem, ASUS as the router and Linksys as the VOIP device. While it's three seperate plugs it also means if any one dies or is replaced it's that much easier since everything else should just plug in.
    Drive a VW?

Thanks, I will give it a try. I have just had a major Mac meltdown however- thought I would do a restart as I hadn't done one in a while to see if it would fix anything. Opposite. Computer got stuck on the grey boot screen with empty progress bar! No luck restarting I do have a backup but not of the pile of work I did today so I am re-installing El Capitan now. I had not rebooted since upgrading. Bugger! I think I have a bug to report....

OK, so recovered computer from startup crash with some help from Terminal and Apple Support Discussion. App store is now working again. Go figure. I am sure that isn't the last we'll see of the Double NAT blues, though, so installing a VOIP gateway is probably still a good idea. Thanks for your help!

If you need a VOIP ATA adapter, I think I have a couple lying around. I will be in Sydney next week for the VMWare vForum conference on Wed & Thurs. Happy to bring one along for you if you are prepared to meet me at the conference. Think is at the Star Event Centre.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Thanks, I have a bid on one on eBay already - will let you know if it falls through.