Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Spammer taken my name! Can anything be done?

Today I received spam emails from a gmail address which has been created by taking my name, which happens to be my hotmail address prefix. Make sense? Now some spammer is Sending out spam with my name on it. I am a bit freaked out! Can anything be done?
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

Nothing can be done, you're not the only person in the world with your name (or at least it would be extremely unlikely!). You may also find that the actual email address does not exist, spammers often use email header forgery. What happens of you go to GMail and try and create the account?

When I try logging in to google with the gmail address the spammer used I was actually able to log in by resetting the password, as the recovery email address was one of my valid emails. Weirdly, after I logged in, google showed my logged in under the recovery address, not the gmail address I used to log in with. When I then went to gmail and tried to create the email account that the spammer used, the username was taken.

I am confused! I am hoping it was just a spoofing attack, but am not sure.
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets