Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default I want to learn Swift

I'm keen to learn Swift with an eye on getting back in to programming.

I used to code in Pascal, various forms of BASIC, shell scripts, AWK and a little Perl many years ago (and still dabble from time to time)

Basically I'm after some advice and recommendations from other people who have found good training material on learning Swift programming.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    I'm keen to learn Swift with an eye on getting back in to programming.

I used to code in Pascal, various forms of BASIC, shell scripts, AWK and a little Perl many years ago (and still dabble from time to time)

Basically I'm after some advice and recommendations from other people who have found good training material on learning Swift programming.
    Apple have an iBook on swift - not sure how good it is though. I'd like to learn swift but I have the most basic programming knowledge. I did Visual Basic at school in Year 11 and 12, plus small amounts of Java but I'm literally clueless on how to get into Swift.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Lucky you to be able to learn a programming language at school, when I started high school we had one Apple IIe computer in the whole school and you had to book time to use it :-)

I did teach myself programming at home on my BBC Model B and also did some programming in Apple Basic on the IIe as well (may I should change my name just just plain OLD)

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    Lucky you to be able to learn a programming language at school, when I started high school we had one Apple IIe computer in the whole school and you had to book time to use it :-)

I did teach myself programming at home on my BBC Model B and also did some programming in Apple Basic on the IIe as well (may I should change my name just just plain OLD)
    As much as I do complain (We used Visual Basic Studio 1996, in 2013), I should be glad I did get to do some programming. Its entirely possible I'm just not in the programming frame of mind as all attempts to teach myself other languages etc failed :P
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5