Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Lightbulb What's the oldest Mac you still continually use and what do you use it for?

Recently I took my upgraded 2011 17" MacBook Pro with me to an event to use for video editing. I've replaced both the HD and optical drive with SSDs and maxed the RAM to 16GB. I'm typing on it now as I have packed up my iMac in preparation for a move.

I still have a 2016 MacBook Pro which has had the HD upgraded to a Seagate hybrid, but due to its RAM and graphics limitations, it was employed for quite a while as a NAS system, with a bunch of Firewire 800 and eSATA drives attached (via an Expresscard).

At least one of the old MacTalk members was a pure PowerPC guy and refused for years to use any Intel machines. That must have made web surfing quite torturous for him in the last few years!

I thought I'd drop by and see what old machines those of you around still use and what you use them for.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

I still have an old 15" MBP Core Duo from 2006 running Snow Leopard, it's a spare machine for guests who want to get online mainly, apart from that it sits in a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    Recently I took my upgraded 2011 17" MacBook Pro with me to an event to use for video editing. I've replaced both the HD and optical drive with SSDs and maxed the RAM to 16GB. I'm typing on it now as I have packed up my iMac in preparation for a move.

I still have a 2016 MacBook Pro which has had the HD upgraded to a Seagate hybrid, but due to its RAM and graphics limitations, it was employed for quite a while as a NAS system, with a bunch of Firewire 800 and eSATA drives attached (via an Expresscard).

At least one of the old MacTalk members was a pure PowerPC guy and refused for years to use any Intel machines. That must have made web surfing quite torturous for him in the last few years!

I thought I'd drop by and see what old machines those of you around still use and what you use them for.
    I quite frequently use my 2008 white MacBook for various things, it goes with me when I go on holidays as I don't like taking my MacBook Pro, I use it to convert VCRs to DVDs and a host of other things. my various PPC Macs have various uses, and some times I just like using an iBook - it runs spotify and I have various enhancements installed to make browsing the web bearable.

What about iOS devices? My iPad 2 is still my main iPad and given iOS devices age faster than Macs, that makes it fairly dated. my 3GS is still my 'garage and music phone' so it also still gets used.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I'd be lying if I claimed I am still using my fully working Quadra 840AV really it's pretty useless for anything practical. I could be surfing the net with that ancient Netscape browser ... but it's so s-l-o-w and so limited. MacOS 8? ugh.

This computer, my 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro, is the oldest in current use and is used many times during a typical day. My other machines are a near new Mac Pro and iMac. I hardly never use the Mac Pro since the Retina 5K iMac is such a magical high performance computer. About the only thing the Mac Pro is good for nowadays is X-Plane because of all those eight processor cores which X-Plane loves so much.

Mobiles? The oldest of those in current use is perhaps the iPhone 5s, as the iPad Air 2 is newer. I never use the iPhone as a phone I don't need a mobile phone any more. It just comes to the supermarket with me because it has my shopping list. I've an iPod touch somewhere I should be using for shopping, if only I could find it. It's amazing the mobile paraphernalia one no longer needs when one has retired.
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

Daily work machine is a 2009 Mac Pro.

My laptop is a 2009 13" MacBook Pro (hand me down from the wife). It recently replaced a 2006 MacBook due to a failed battery (not economical to get a new one).
    Something about Jimby.

Still use a 2008 macpro. Massively under utliised for what it is, but mainlyused as a media server/ storage, and also email plus web browsing. Its left running all the time, unlike my MBP

I have an original LC, about 1991 vintage with 128MB hard dive and 8MB of memory (yes MB) running System 7.0.1 which I use from time to time with my Apple Quicktake 200 Camera. The camera required an operating system between OS 7.0 and OS 9.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 22nd September 2015 at 09:44 AM.

2009 MacBook white C2D (unibody). I installed Windows on it to do some work for my partner. Runs like a charm still
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

At about Core2Duo the CPU got to the point that it really did pretty much everything normal humans need. While they aren't nearly as efficient as modern machines they are still more than capable for web browsing and email which is all the average user does. This means pretty much anything from late 2006 onwards is still a pretty capable machine. Thrown in an SSD and Max out the RAM and these machines still move along pretty damn well.

In Apple terms, anything 2008(ish) onwards is capable of running the latest OS (Yosemite at the moment), although you need a 2012+ machine to get all the handoff goodness. It also helps that Apple's design has changed so little that there isn't even a visual reason to upgrade a lot of machines!

People who need to do particular CPU intensive tasks will want new machines, but the rest of us would be just fine on older hardware... something I'm starting to realise more and more.

In my world I have a 2010 2.4GHz C2D Mac Mini running HTPC duties as the oldest machine still in active (and daily) use. My wife (and son) are still both using 2011 MacBook Airs and have no need or desire to upgrade unless they physically fail.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    At about Core2Duo the CPU got to the point that it really did pretty much everything normal humans need. While they aren't nearly as efficient as modern machines they are still more than capable for web browsing and email which is all the average user does. This means pretty much anything from late 2006 onwards is still a pretty capable machine. Thrown in an SSD and Max out the RAM and these machines still move along pretty damn well.

In Apple terms, anything 2008(ish) onwards is capable of running the latest OS (Yosemite at the moment), although you need a 2012+ machine to get all the handoff goodness. It also helps that Apple's design has changed so little that there isn't even a visual reason to upgrade a lot of machines!

People who need to do particular CPU intensive tasks will want new machines, but the rest of us would be just fine on older hardware... something I'm starting to realise more and more.

In my world I have a 2010 2.4GHz C2D Mac Mini running HTPC duties as the oldest machine still in active (and daily) use. My wife (and son) are still both using 2011 MacBook Airs and have no need or desire to upgrade unless they physically fail.
    I totally agree. A post 2008 Machine with an SSD, 4GB/8GB of RAM + a reasonable graphics card is more than useable for most general users. I have a number of people that I provide computer consultancy/ help to are on 2008/2009 machines. The key difference is really in battery life - as you said the older processors are not overly efficient.

Apple's choice of the 2015 Retina Macbook running at circa 2011 Macbook Air performance levels demonstrates this more than anything.

Makes me feel a little safer about my purchase of a Non Retina 2012 Macbook Pro+ SSD - I ended up not paying a cent due to a long and complex Applecare story but anyway.

Funny thing is that Microsoft has gotten better at supporting older hardware. My 2008 Macbook (White) runs Windows 10 as good as if not slightly better than OSX Lion. Apple decided not to write the driver for the X3100 integrated graphics card under 10.8 and above thus Lion is the last supported version of OSX. Disappointing that Microsoft can deliver updates for an Apple Product that Apple can't/
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Until recently my daily desktop was my QS2002, but now I'm building a more "modern" setup on a MacPro 1,1 and migrating my FinalCutStudio2 suite across.

The oldest machine that has a dedicated use, is my 1998 G3 Bondi Blue iMac which runs 9.22 so I can read the CDs used by my favourite camera, a Sony Mavica CD300.

I have a 2007 MBP that I use when I need a laptop. Has 4gb of RAM and an SSD drive. However the SSD is limited by it only being SATA 1. Still quite zippy though. Running El Capitan beta on one partition and Snow Leopard on the other for when I want to play older games.

I also have a 2004 G5 running Leopard Server that I use occasionally. I have an XServe RAID attached to it with 7 TB's storage. It's too power hungry (and noisy) to leave on all the time, but it is a handy place to dump files temporarily when I need to format one of my computers.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**