Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Dell Ultra HD 4K - P2751Q

Hi MT,

I'm slowly setting up a home recording studio which I plan to run off a specked out Mac Mini. With that specked out Mac Mini, I also plan to have dual monitors and was looking at the Dell 27inch Ultra HD 4K monitors.

The monitors come with daisy chain capability and so I was wondering if this daisy chain technology will work flawlessly with the Mini or will I need to connect both monitors to the Mac?

I like the idea of daisy chaining as it only requires one screen connection to the Mac.

If anyone can shed some light that would appreciated.

Cheers,

Warren.

It would depend to some degree on what model Mini you're talking about, but I don't think any monitor output on any Mini will drive two monitors of that type. I'm not even sure any Mini will run two of those monitors at all.

What model Mini are you using, or wanting to use, and what is the resolution of the monitors?

As far as I know, a mini won't drive a 4k monitor at all, although I suppose it might at a lower resolution. It *can* run two thunderbolt displays, you'd be better off with that, or getting a 5K iMac and one Thunderbolt or the Dell screen. I'm just not sure that any other Mac will do what you want (apart from the Pro, of course). If money is no object, get the Mac Pro.

Dad has the latest Mac Mini and it's driving his 28" Samsung 4K display just fine so I assume there shouldn't be an issue with driving two monitors.