Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I've been a member of AppleTalk for awhile, but have never been active on the forums. But given MacTalk is dead, I am/have just moved over there.

    I'll still visit MacTalk on occasion, but I think it's time to move on given that Niche must want MacTalk to die.

    See you all at AppleTalk.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Status:........Awesome!
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    For the record, I've permanently moved to AppleTalk as well, in case anyone is looking for me.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    The only way to achieve what we all want is to create a new forum, move everyone over there and stop coming to MacTalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye View Post
    Not really - to some of us it felt a little like an exclusive club than a new welcoming community.

    But I agree that the best way to move MacTalk forward is to create try and get everyone to move elsewhere.

    It's a 50/50 split and personal preference, but I preferred the site under the guidance of Anthony. Some found his methods and content crude at times, but it was better than the wound-tight nature of communities like MacRumors or AppleInsider. You could talk with other Australian Mac fans on the forums and then meet with them for drinks at a pub, which to me was "MacTalk culture in a nutshell". It was as much about the people coming together and networking as it was the news and events that the site would report on to give them something to discuss. It's not often you can come to a community for information, for personal advice and for a laugh and have it excel at all three at once.

    I chose to remain on here instead of moving across to AppleTalk because I believed at the time that AppleTalk was looking to break away from that image, instead becoming a more serious publication with a more "upmarket" discussion forum. It's an extreme example, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but you probably wouldn't have Inappropriate Wednesday on AppleTalk.

    Perhaps that's where the sense of exclusivity around AppleTalk came from. MacTalk in comparison was just that open and fair game, and it was actively encouraged by the owner. Drawing the crowds across from MacTalk who were used to this style for so long is perhaps somewhat of a difficult sell.


    Also it wouldn't hurt to admit now that in the ideal scenario, we would have taken control of the MacTalk name from Niche. I wanted them on board, but the more we worked with them and the more roadblocks I came across to perform even simple tasks, the more I wanted them to just be out of the picture and just let us get the job done. In hindsight the best solution would have instead been to move our efforts elsewhere, leasing out a server, registering a name and building something entirely new - a spiritual successor to MacTalk. It would have provided us with the freedom to create our own look and feel, community culture and run our own content with our own set of standards, and it would have saved us a lot of wasted time over the last 18-24 months.

    I've thought about it numerous times and still think it's not that bad of an idea. I haven't pursued it because there's no fun in doing this without others on board. I run a discussion forum at the moment that, while it is successful, isn't fun to manage because I essentially do all the work, from the design, to the maintenance, to the community management. Building communities requires a bunch of people equally as passionate about a common topic and all with a common goal in order to make it work. Anthony for example would always continue to rapidly push MacTalk forward, and it wasn't unheard of to visit the site and find something had changed overnight, simply because he and the administration felt that it would be a good move.

    Nonetheless, despite all the challenges, I love building something that people will love. I wish I could have had the opportunity to do the same here.


    Despite all the optimism and determination, I have to concede defeat. The only solution to this problem I can possibly see is for MacTalk to break ties with Niche and enter the hands of someone that genuinely cares about the site and building something awesome out of it, or for the MacTalk community to break ties with MacTalk, at least in name, and move onward to a successor. The remaining community leaders, contributors and moderators here could better leverage their skills and talents without the restrictions and slow pace of activity that we have under the current owners of this site.
    Last edited by iMic; 15th September 2015 at 04:30 AM.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMic View Post
    Despite all the optimism and determination, I have to concede defeat. The only solution to this problem I can possibly see is for MacTalk to break ties with Niche and enter the hands of someone that genuinely cares about the site and building something awesome out of it, or for the MacTalk community to break ties with MacTalk, at least in name, and move onward to a successor. The remaining community leaders, contributors and moderators here could better leverage their skills and talents without the restrictions and slow pace of activity that we have under the current owners of this site.
    I think you need to recognise and accept that this forum has always and only been seen by Niche Media as a means to an end. That is, a base for throwing advertising out there. It is an ad farm, nothing more, nothing less. Not wishing to denigrate the efforts of those still hanging in there... a waste of good time and talent which would be better spent at Appletalk.

    I'm gone. Logging out.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I think you need to recognise and accept that this forum has always and only been seen by Niche Media as a means to an end. That is, a base for throwing advertising out there. It is an ad farm, nothing more, nothing less. Not wishing to denigrate the efforts of those still hanging in there... a waste of good time and talent which would be better spent at Appletalk.

    I don't doubt it. Where the frustration comes from is that I and others felt that our strategy would have been significantly better for the brand and more profitable in the long term compared to the current long term plan for the site, it required little effort on their part in comparison to their other publications, and even that proposition didn't sell. I couldn't have made it any easier. Perhaps we didn't pitch it that well, but there weren't exactly that many opportunities to make those pitches either. A Skype call or two doesn't cut it, especially when we were working with the assumption that MacTalk would require nothing short of a ground-up rebuild requiring consistent input from all involved parties.

    I'm disappointed because so much work was already done for MacTalk that never had the chance to be put into practice, so much dedication from those involved and now it won't reach any form of completion. Since AppleTalk is almost certainly set to win this race with no effort in MacTalk whatsoever from Niche, that work will almost certainly be scrapped.

    Perhaps if AppleTalk could use a few more hands on deck, then I'll come across. I'd like to see it become something reminiscent of what MacTalk used to be from a social and community standpoint.

    At least I still have those old MacTalk Podcasts. A reminder of better times.
    Last edited by iMic; 16th September 2015 at 12:17 PM.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castlemaine area.
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Not wishing to denigrate the efforts of those still hanging in there... a waste of good time and talent which would be better spent at Appletalk.

    I'm gone. Logging out.
    I've recently registered an account at Appletalk and the last few days I've made more posts there than here but I'm going to keep checking in her for a while (probably until the death twitches stop).

    I have to say one point in favor of here (and it's the only one I can think of at the moment) is I dislike the forum software Appletalk uses
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

  7. #67

    Default

    I can't believe how badly Niche have managed MacTalk as a result of having no vision, an inability to listen to what smart people are telling them and a total of skill regarding hosting a community website. It's been over 4 years since Niche took over and during that time its been an embarrassing shit-show.

    The only good thing they did was try to get Peter Wells (fulltimecasual) involved for a few months, but Niche even fucked that up due to their incompetence and refusal to listen to Pete's ideas. iMac600 has tried so hard to get Niche to do something, anything, with MacTalk at a grass roots level and the dickheads at Niche don't want to listen. Even when I sold MacTalk to Niche, I included a fairly detailed list of ideas of where MacTalk should go and how it can make even more money if they tried. None of those things eventuated.

    MacTalk is practically the same as it was back in 2011 and its death is certainly not the result of nobody caring. It's 100% Niche's incompetence and it upsets me every time I think about it.

    When I agreed to sell MacTalk to Niche, it wasn't because they were the highest bidder. Other media companies offered more cash. It was because Niche had a history of Apple related activity with Macworld and had a handful of motivated staff who seemed genuinely passionate about Apple. I thought they would take that passion and knowledge and drive MacTalk into a new path that I couldn't.

    I totally misjudged Niche. This was a huge mistake. The impression of Niche I had was obviously wrong once the dog and pony show was over. As a result, something I loved and cared for is now gone. What was once a great community, where I made many friends and learned heaps, now has a goddamn Adult Friend Finder re-direct on it and doesn't even work on my Optus NBN connection. Clearly nobody at Niche gives a shit. They wrung all the ad money they could out of it (which surely wouldn't have been enough to cover the sale) and left it to shrivel up and die. Disgraceful act from Niche and it's partially my fault.

    To all the MacTalk faithful still left, I'm really sorry and I wish I could have sold it to someone else. Or even just taken a break rather than sell it. Good thing is, AppleTalk exists: AppleTalk | By and for Apple enthusiasts. and I still write every now and then on Reckoner: Reckoner - The culture of technology in Australia. - a site, Pete, James and myself started. There's a podcast too, that if you enjoyed the MacTalk podcast, you'd enjoy the Reckoner podcast as well.

    Everyone still here should just abandon ship and stop giving Niche any sort of attention, they don't deserve your valuable time or knowledge.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Thanks for that post Decryption.

    I have always wondered why something could go so wrong.
    Niche were in the game early on, I remember a few contests they set up, with great prizes too. And there was some contribution from Niche people in the forums.
    It quickly dropped away though.

    To think that a forum that was so very active by a great community could be reduced to this is beyond belief.

    Final post.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Thanks Decryption for offering some insight about what happened here. I wanted in on the ground level at MacTalk because I couldn't see a situation where anyone else within the company would step up, and it seemed like such a waste of all the combined efforts from yourself, Pete and everyone involved with MacTalk to let the name that had taken so many years to establish become... well, this. I thought that what MacTalk would benefit the most from was having people in charge that had been with MacTalk since the earlier days, knew the community, loved Apple products and could bring valuable expertise to the table.

    However even when I positioned it as a sound move even from a financial standpoint, nothing more became of it. Even when I showed we had people on board who could write, who could moderate and who could maintain the website itself, nothing more became of it. Even when I suggested that we would work for nothing in return until the site was profitable once again, essentially making the entire proposal risk-free, nothing more became of it.

    It's disappointing, because although weren't responsible for the failure of anything to eventuate, we were forced to let down a lot of community members who backed our efforts as we asked them to "just hold on a little longer".


    I've registered over at AppleTalk. Speaking personally, in fairness to and in no way the fault of the community or staff over there, it doesn't have the same feel that drew me into MacTalk so many years ago, so it has been difficult to assimilate into the community like I did here. I suppose this entire process of dealing with Niche and the letdown that ensued soured me somewhat on contributing to communities in general that will take some time to get over.


    These days I work in an Apple Reseller and Authorised Service Provider, and it becomes apparent now more than ever how nice it would be to have an online Australian home for Apple fans to do their thing. I hope AppleTalk finds its groove and builds into something awesome so we can have one once again.

    I'll still be around behind the scenes here. Someone needs to stick around to turn the lights off when we're done.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Thanks for your post, Decryption.

    I didn't know about AppleTalk so I went and had a look - and it was like walking into a room full of old friends!


  11. #71

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    6,413

    Default

    AppleTalk is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In AppleTalk you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the AppleTalk motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Thanks for the post and your thoughts Anthony.

    I have been trying to hang in at MacTalk because it used to be my favourite site and it's a shame what has happened to it, but your right "Everyone still here should just abandon ship and stop giving Niche any sort of attention, they don't deserve your valuable time or knowledge."

    I'm trying to be more active at AppleTalk now (and it's good there), but it's time to finally say goodbye to MacTalk
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMic View Post
    Thanks Decryption for offering some insight about what happened here. I wanted in on the ground level at MacTalk because I couldn't see a situation where anyone else within the company would step up, and it seemed like such a waste of all the combined efforts from yourself, Pete and everyone involved with MacTalk to let the name that had taken so many years to establish become... well, this. I thought that what MacTalk would benefit the most from was having people in charge that had been with MacTalk since the earlier days, knew the community, loved Apple products and could bring valuable expertise to the table.

    However even when I positioned it as a sound move even from a financial standpoint, nothing more became of it. Even when I showed we had people on board who could write, who could moderate and who could maintain the website itself, nothing more became of it. Even when I suggested that we would work for nothing in return until the site was profitable once again, essentially making the entire proposal risk-free, nothing more became of it.

    It's disappointing, because although weren't responsible for the failure of anything to eventuate, we were forced to let down a lot of community members who backed our efforts as we asked them to "just hold on a little longer".


    I've registered over at AppleTalk. Speaking personally, in fairness to and in no way the fault of the community or staff over there, it doesn't have the same feel that drew me into MacTalk so many years ago, so it has been difficult to assimilate into the community like I did here. I suppose this entire process of dealing with Niche and the letdown that ensued soured me somewhat on contributing to communities in general that will take some time to get over.


    These days I work in an Apple Reseller and Authorised Service Provider, and it becomes apparent now more than ever how nice it would be to have an online Australian home for Apple fans to do their thing. I hope AppleTalk finds its groove and builds into something awesome so we can have one once again.

    I'll still be around behind the scenes here. Someone needs to stick around to turn the lights off when we're done.
    Communities are what you make them. AppleTalk is in it's infancy, there's never been a better time to get in on the ground floor of an Australian Apple community.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    595

    Default

    How do you delete your profile on here, time to move on.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Fraser View Post
    Communities are what you make them. AppleTalk is in it's infancy, there's never been a better time to get in on the ground floor of an Australian Apple community.
    I have a thread open over there at the moment that seems to be going rather well. Has to be said, it's a lot nicer than what's left of here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Back2Bedlam View Post
    How do you delete your profile on here, time to move on.
    I don't believe vBulletin has the option to delete all profile data, at least not user-facing. It would be an administrator option only. Still, you could remove your details, change the email address on file and sign out though.

  16. #76

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Como, Western Australia
    Posts
    160

    Default

    There is been a substantial decrease in activity on all sorts of forums, particularly the last 12 months.

    FaceBook is taking over. Everyone's into FaceBook these days.

    Personally, I love forums. Besides recent posts, there is always the archive of useful information.

    Want to research a particular thing? You'll find forum posts somewhere. I spent one night this week trying to work out how to put a bigger caliper on a particular motorbike, and was going through motorbike forums to see what other people around the world had done. Cool.

    I work on cars often late at night. If there's something that I can't figure out then I go back inside and Google search. There will be information on a forum in the world somewhere.

    Google search for stuff and you won't find FaceBook posts. There are no archives of FaceBook posts from years ago.

    Hopefully forum owners around the world will at least keep them going for years to come, instead of shutting them down and everything being deleted.

    Heck, FaceBook is even taking over classified advertising (ie Gumtree). People advertise on FaceBook groups instead of Gumtree.

    Bugger.
    2011 13" MacBook Pro, 2.7GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD
    2010 Mac Pro, 2 x 2.4GHz, 32Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, 2Tb HD, 3Tb HD, 4Tb HD

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Beaches , Sydney
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Yep. Have to agree Phildo. I have researched numerous things from really old power tools to modern appliances and there is always a forum or someone who can provide info. Facebook ! Bleaah !

    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Nobody wants to share information anymore, it's all about self interested topics on Facebook and if you're not on it? You're out in the dark to everyone else.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,561

    Default

    Everyone moved to AppleTalk.com.au


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Something about Jimby.

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Status:........Awesome!
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Everyone moved to AppleTalk.com.au


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As decryption (founder of MacTalk) stated in his post above in this thread, everyone has left this site and gone to AppleTalk Australia
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •