Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I didnt know about Appletalk. It will be interesting to see how long it is before Apple get the shits and demand a name change. This site used to be called Appletalk, some may remember, and Apple made the demand of Anthony to change it. Long time ago now.

Going to join, visit, read. I come here daily but rarely participate as actively as I once did.

[edit] and I like the look of it.
    Last edited by kyte; 8th September 2015 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    Mods - if there's anything here you feel is inappropriate, let me know and I'll edit or delete.
    Maybe once upon a time it would have been inappropriate but now it's as good a post as any to poke something of a response out of Niche if they're actually paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    Maybe once upon a time it would have been inappropriate but now it's as good a post as any to poke something of a response out of Niche if they're actually paying attention.
    That's exactly it, if the owners were active this thread would've probably been removed by them or one of us mods a while ago but if they aren't interested in the site then I'm not that interested in maintaining it for them especially when they're still making money.

Yaaaay!!! Benny Ling is doing daily news over on his site! Goodbye type-o's and goodbye MacTalk (and I do mean goodbye...).

I really like the little survey that pops up.. It asked me if I'd like to do a survey about MacTalk, and then asks me about Telfast.. Not sure how that is relevant? Seems a bit shit.

And wtf is with this GIANT ad =====>
    Overkill much?

The only thing that's stopped me leaving is trying to work out what my new home page should be - Twisted Sifter? Analog Planet? This one?*
    Now it's Appletalk. Thanks Benny and goodbye Niche, you really screwed this up.

*worse than Friend Finder?
    Last edited by Dubhousing; 9th September 2015 at 07:02 PM.

Geeze a huge night of announcements and not even a whisper here. Things are grim.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Geeze a huge night of announcements and not even a whisper here. Things are grim.

I'm putting something up soon, I have not had the chance to post as of yet.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I know that my activity and site visit frequency has dropped off since Niche took over....it immediately lost that community vibe which kept MT going for so long. I drop in whenever Apple make an announcement and on launch days to see what members have snagged, but day to day visits I use to make...not so much

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    I wsa thikning that this morning, not even any significant user discussions
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Appletalk.com.au.... I've tried 3 times to get my authorisation email... I'm still waiting...

Yes, I should probably post that there, not here...

When I checked this morning, neither Mactalk nor Appletalk had any of the early-morning news... Not sure when AppleTalk got theirs up... but don't feel bad, OldMacs...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

And... Why are links falsely being created when I type...

aka

mactalk.com.au

appletalk.com.au
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Appletalk.com.au.... I've tried 3 times to get my authorisation email... I'm still waiting...

Yes, I should probably post that there, not here...

When I checked this morning, neither Mactalk nor Appletalk had any of the early-morning news... Not sure when AppleTalk got theirs up... but don't feel bad, OldMacs...
    I've finally got my news out... i had a pretty terrible day, so while it was meant to be up at 10am, life happened
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I'll list a few reasons why MacTalk is dying:
    --Podcast scandal, a few uptight members didn't like the explicit language and drinking when it had been going on for many years... a sober podcast is like listening to an AA meeting and Decryption should have aimed at a comedic podcast of bleeping every swear so an episode would be a bleepfest. Around this time period you got the feeling Decryption was looking for an exit strategy.
    --Less tech news coverage after the buyout.
    --How-To or unique content dropped off after the buyout.
    --Reviews have been lacking.
    --Big media eats small media and news topics like Snowden, Hacking Team or spying in general is forbidden in Five Eyes Countries in fear their servers being seized/offices raided like the Guardian UK. On MacRumours someone PM-ed a warning if I were to go into detail of hijacking any iOS device via provisioning by certificate loophole when someone asked how bad the Hacking Team incident was. iOS 8.x.x while secure there are some nasty holes which Jailbreaking still uses and you can still inject a provisioning certificate(hijack someones' DNS settings to capture passwords/email). Don't forget Australia managed to become a leader in hacking mobile phones source URL: Australia a leader in hacking mobile phones, Snowden document reveals
    --Talking about serious security topics may it be OS X/Windows/Linux outside of the US/CAN/EU(excluding UK) is risky as non-EU countries eroded freedom of the press shield laws, Australia jumped like the UK into fear mode of Tories and stretching censorship/monitoring can make certain topics borderline illegal.

If there is some kind of MacTalk article of spying I'd suggest everybody to avoid American security software and non-tomato supported routers. Depending upon your needs setup a pfsense router, you can typically find an ITX Atom/Celeron J-series cheaply with a PCI/PCIe slot so you can install a multi-port networking card.
    As far as counter-intelligence of spying meta-data/browsing history, use a cheap Raspberry Pi and set it up so it does automated searches of dull topics with a few keywords from the Snowden leaks so you get funny search terms such as "Britney Spears Explosive Diarrhea" & "Justin Bieber Carved Ten Commandments".
    at&t 3G speeds(Motorola Atrix): 2148 kbps down / 1483 kbps up
    Sprint WiMax Speeds(Motorola Photon): 9.1 mbps down / 1.8 mbps up
    "Every country has the government it deserves" -Joseph De Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I wsa thikning that this morning, not even any significant user discussions
    Yeah it was the complete lack of user discussions I was getting at. That says everything.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Niche's new plan... randomly redirect to Adult Friend Finder... (seriously - google search, clicked on "Forum" sub section of the Google result, and went to AFF...
    I decided to visit MacTalk for the first time in a while, from my work computer over lunch.

The rest of the department had a good laugh and all.

I'll talk for a moment about what I think MacTalk has become, and what we tried to do to resolve those issues. I'd remained silent on the matter because I didn't want to undermine the efforts of the remaining few dedicated staff here, but since those few seem to be on the same page now, I don't think it will be an issue.

When I was involved in dealing with Niche after the departure of Bennyling, I drafted a three-point strategy for turning the site around and revitalising the community behind it. The three points were:

Content - The content produced by MacTalk that serves to interest consumers and draw them in (Articles, Podcasts, Sponsored Products and Promotions and making the ads not-suck)

Site - The services offered by MacTalk, and the hardware and software that supports them (Fixing / Replacing vBulletin, updating the website, fixing broken features and links, fixing the SEO and spam systems, patching vulnerabilities, ditching unnecessary elements like pop-up surveys and giving the site a refreshed appearance)

Community - The community that offers support via the forums and engages the users to turn readers into regulars (Interesting forum threads, restructuring the forums to make them more relevant and easier to navigate and lifting some of the restrictions to make it easier to visit and post)

Ultimately Niche has showed no interest in MacTalk whatsoever following the departure of Jonathan Stewart, who was perhaps one of the few that were championing the MacTalk name. The website needed serious attention, and I offered to them to take over the maintenance of the vBulletin 4 suite that powers the site. Maintain the stylesheets, patch vulnerabilities, prune the database, update copyright information and fix broken links. I didn't ask for any monetary compensation in return. The offer was however declined, and three months after the fact, Niche finally made only one of these changes themselves - moving the copyright date forward from 2013 to 2015. That was all. Two years in the making.

Content contributors here - and we have some talented writers in house - wouldn't want to publish their content on here because they know the rest of the site receives little care outside of the efforts of our moderators. Who would write an article on a site that throws you surveys about home products and pharmaceuticals, or occasionally redirects you to adult hook-up sites? I'd be disgusted if I had to share screen real estate with something like that, and I think our regular writers and users feel the same. It cheapens the experience.

However each time I've tried, giving this company as much incentive as possible to move on rebuilding the site (seriously, "a bunch of people who know what they're doing are offering to help repair, build and maintain your failing website for free, while you profit from it - what more do they need?), the propositions have been knocked back.

MacTalk will never recover from the damage that has been inflicted on it, short of shutting down completely, changing hands and having someone invest the time and effort to "relaunch" the brand from a clean slate.

It's a damn shame. I'm a service technician in the Australian Apple industry, I see the customers that come in through the door on a daily basis. These are graphic designers, media personalities, business leaders and of course regular consumers, to name a few. All have something to bring to the table in an Australian-centric Apple community provided someone would just give them the platform to do so, properly executed and nurtured. They all have questions to ask, they all have knowledge to share. They have products, solutions and telcos to either praise or complain about.

I commend AppleTalk because if there's one thing that stands out that they got right, it was moving onto their own platform - their own turf, their own terms. They can make changes swiftly to grow their community that are now otherwise impossible where Niche is involved. I don't like Discourse, and I think the website could be a little more traditional in its execution because while I think it looks stunning, because of how different it is from sites like MacRumors or MacTalk, it alienates some potential users. Otherwise it's top notch.

So yeah, I would love to be a part of the Australian Apple community again. I'm sure it could be made to happen, I just don't think it will happen here.
    Last edited by iMic; 13th September 2015 at 10:08 PM.

Well said, iMic. I left for AppleTalk quite a while ago when it became apparent nothing was going to happen despite our best efforts. I always browse forums by 'new posts' or 'latest discussions' so Discourse looks familiar to me. I know if you click the Categories link at the top it looks more like a traditional forum. I definitely encourage people to give it a try, and pass on feedback if you'd like to see changes because they listen there and it's becoming a great community.

You're efforts here haven't been forgotten by us either, it's just a shame they fell on dear ears.

The End.
    Last edited by ajbeardy; 14th September 2015 at 07:30 PM.

Can anyone know a replacement for Mactalk?
    iMac 27 x 2 One old & One new, Mac book Pro 15 Retna, Mac mini media server,iPad Air 2 64 WiFi/4G, Apple TV Gen4 x3, iPhone 6 64, Time cap 2 T, Track pad, Airport x3 for WiFi ext.

Sounds good I'll be off to AppleTalk too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast