Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I'm not being paranoid, I'm just curious who exactly you're talking about as I never see Niche employees around, I haven't really for a year or so.
    That was the point I was making. I looked at the member list, there are 3 admins that I could see, and only one has been on site recently (17/8). of course that may have changed since I looked. The entire point of my post was to underline that Niche media does not care one bit what happens to this site, because to them, its an ad farm. Nothing more. If ever they stop making money from it, they will dump it.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Status:........Awesome!
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    For the record, if Niche is willing, there are people like myself willing to help out or even buy-in/out.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    645

    Default

    I still visit, read and sometimes even contribute but there are so many other similar avenues I use as well.
    IMHO all forums have a life cycle and the number of alternative and very similar options contributes to a site hit rate.
    When I lived in KL many years ago the local site I was a involved in then went through this sort of thing too.
    One differentiating thing that site embarked upon was regular opportunities for forum members to meet together for product launches, news and info sessions as well as socialising. That helped for a period but even that sort of activity wasn't sufficient to prevent people drifting off to pursue other interests.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maitland, NSW
    Posts
    348

    Default

    I came to this website when i first started using a Mac again and learnt a lot. Now i see myself as a bit of an Apple expert.

    I loved this website and the things like meet ups and the podcast. Sadly i think the podcast was a big part of Mactalk. I think the website has died but i think it could bounce back. I miss when the store would go down and the thread would come alive with Powerbook G5.

    The site never loads correctly on my iPhone. Always cuts off some of the text.
     iPhone 6,  iPad Air 2,  27" iMac,  Watch
    http://notablemac.com

  5. #25

    Default

    The only way to achieve what we all want is to create a new forum, move everyone over there and stop coming to MacTalk. While we are still visiting and generating page hits the advertising revenue will continue to flow to Niche and they won't give a shit about how the community feels about it.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    The only way to achieve what we all want is to create a new forum, move everyone over there and stop coming to MacTalk.
    Benny Ling has tried to do just that.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom125 View Post
    Benny Ling has tried to do just that.
    Not really - to some of us it felt a little like an exclusive club than a new welcoming community.

    But I agree that the best way to move MacTalk forward is to create try and get everyone to move elsewhere.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I would support going somewhere else, but where?

    I think Benny's new site would have been the best option, but the forum structure there is terrible. The other option is if everyone went to another established site (but other than US/UK based sites where we would be lost in the crowd) I don't know of any good Aussie based Mac forums.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye View Post
    Not really - to some of us it felt a little like an exclusive club than a new welcoming community.
    I've found them pretty welcoming. Not that I'm an especially regular contributor either there or here anymore.

    As far as forums go I have nothing to say about Mac/iPhone stuff any more. I'm still interested, but as far as my daily needs go the Apple hardware, OS X, and iOS are pretty mature products that suit what I want and need. Sure there will always be improvements, and I'm interested in the next iPhone etc, but it just isn't as exciting as it used to be. Back when Mactalk was in its prime there were no Apple Stores in Australia and we didn't have the iPhone. I queued up for most of a day to get into the Sydney Apple Store when it first opened and overnight for the iPhone 3G. I just can't imagine having that level of excitement again and consequently don't participate in the forums nearly as much as I used to. I therefore think any forum will have a smaller pool of people than in the past, but good luck to anyone thinking of taking it over or setting something up, it's still a useful resource.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SE Queensland
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by changa View Post
    I would support going somewhere else, but where?

    I think Benny's new site would have been the best option, but the forum structure there is terrible. The other option is if everyone went to another established site (but other than US/UK based sites where we would be lost in the crowd) I don't know of any good Aussie based Mac forums.
    Benny's new site?...and I thought people were leaving because they were fed-up with my dumb questions. Where can Benny's new site be found? A search on-line didn't find it; I don't do FaceBook so if that's where it is I'll be stranded if everyone leaves here. I seldom offer advice because I don't know much but I've always been very grateful for the help I've received here. Please send me the directions if we're moving on. Jen

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Benny's new site?...and I thought people were leaving because they were fed-up with my dumb questions. Where can Benny's new site be found? A search on-line didn't find it; I don't do FaceBook so if that's where it is I'll be stranded if everyone leaves here. I seldom offer advice because I don't know much but I've always been very grateful for the help I've received here. Please send me the directions if we're moving on. Jen

    AppleTalk | By and for Apple enthusiasts.
    27" iMac | iPad Air 2 128GB | ATV | iPhone5S 64GB | AirPort Extreme | iPod Classic | Apple Watch ;-)

  12. #32

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SE Queensland
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Thank you, Mullo. Jen

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rhodes, NSW
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Hi all. Long time no see.

    Yes, Benny and I started a new site last year, for all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. The original idea was to create something with the spirit we missed from the old days - we haven't always succeeded but we're still out there trying.

    We've intentionally never mentioned our new site on here, out of respect if nothing else. However, when we saw a bit of traffic coming from this thread I thought it might be time to speak up.

    Needless to say, anyone who is looking for a new (or additional) Apple forum is welcome to come visit. We're always receptive to criticism (there's some interesting feedback in this thread I'd like to hear more about) and we're looking to bring on some additional writers to review gear, apps and games.

    Hope to see you soon.

    Mods - if there's anything here you feel is inappropriate, let me know and I'll edit or delete.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,659

    Default

    Thanks for dropping back, Toby! I apologise if my comment earlier was a little harsh, but the split happened around the time when Niche were still at least a little active on here, and I thought that things would perhaps pick up again. Now that they appear to be not even a little interested in the site's future I certainly don't mind (not that I feel I necessarily speak on behalf of the other mods) for people to head over and check out AppleTalk.

  15. #35

    Default

    Can't believe he's seriously gotten away with appletalk.com.au......?!

    If I have a Mac based question these days, my first reaction may still be - MacTalk! - but typically then I go post it on MacRumors... maybe simul post it here... Cos there's just not enough bums on seats here anymore.

    If the powers that be are neither interested in managing the site nor selling, then yes I guess our only option is a pirate radio station. I mean, a new community.

    Thing is, we'd need everything MacTalk had before it was sold out... Dedicated people, funds of some kind, good software, duct tape, really dubious ham...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 7th September 2015 at 08:30 PM.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    Hi all. Long time no see.

    Yes, Benny and I started a new site last year, for all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. The original idea was to create something with the spirit we missed from the old days - we haven't always succeeded but we're still out there trying.

    We've intentionally never mentioned our new site on here, out of respect if nothing else. However, when we saw a bit of traffic coming from this thread I thought it might be time to speak up.

    Needless to say, anyone who is looking for a new (or additional) Apple forum is welcome to come visit. We're always receptive to criticism (there's some interesting feedback in this thread I'd like to hear more about) and we're looking to bring on some additional writers to review gear, apps and games.

    Hope to see you soon.

    Mods - if there's anything here you feel is inappropriate, let me know and I'll edit or delete.
    I do visit AppleTalk fairly regularly, but the forum structure there is not really that good. It's really just a list of topics and does not seem to be that active.

    If you can fix the forum structure then I think the forums would be more active and more people would be willing to migrate. I love MacTalk, but it's really a ghost town now and a shadow of it's former self.

    There have been an number of pushes to try and save it, but Niche don't care about it so the site is always going to struggle.

    Reckoner.com.au don't have an forum there unfortunately, but the podcast is great (Anthony, Peter and James continue to do a great job) and there are some great articles there too.

    It's a shame as it seems that the old MacTalkers are now split between sites.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

  17. #37

    Default

    Niche's new plan... randomly redirect to Adult Friend Finder... (seriously - google search, clicked on "Forum" sub section of the Google result, and went to AFF...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

  18. #38

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Niche's new plan... randomly redirect to Adult Friend Finder... (seriously - google search, clicked on "Forum" sub section of the Google result, and went to AFF...

    YESSS!!!! ^^^^^

    Thats happened about 5 times in the last week to me with Mactalk.

    I'm going to contact Niche about that and the future of the forums.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castlemaine area.
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Sad as it is to say I have to agree with most in the thread, MacTalk has been dying a slow death

    I still visit but there are less and less threads so there are less and less times I end up posting (vicious cycle).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Corowa NSW Heart of the mighty Murray!
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Got to agree with those posters who see little reason to go online each day. I can remember Anthony's moderating, he could start a rush of postings when he felt like it, and his posts seemed to show that he wanted action.

    I go to the site each day, but the modeator's news package is what I can see if I go to Apple. They are seemingly stopped trying to get customers actively. Anyone seen anything worthwhile from iTunes Music?

    I'll still hang around, but I can't see progress, and the longer time time members will fade away. Sigh!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •