Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What's happened to mac talk?

It's slowly but surely near the end right? It can't just be me that sees mactalk as good as dead?

There are hardly any news articles, forum posts or killer content anymore. The site takes way to long to load too - more than 10 seconds infact. One of the slowest poorly optimised sites I visit and close to unusable.

This place had such a great vibe once upon a time- a real passion for tech and Apple products with great articles and ideas.

So what went so wrong? I hope it can become as great as it once was!
    Last edited by auckland; 31st August 2015 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auckland View Post
    It's slowly but surely near the end right? It can't just be me that sees mactalk as good as dead?

There are hardly any news articles, forum posts or killer content anymore. The site takes way to long to load too - more than 10 seconds infact. One of the slowest poorly optimised sites I visit and close to unusable.

This place had such a great vibe once upon a time- a real passion for tech and Apple products with great articles and ideas.

So what went so wrong? I hope it can become as great as it once was!
    Hopefully it will get better.

I'm (temporarily) doing news for the moment and was actually going to ask what sort of news format people want me to do? I can't do every day so I was wondering what time of day people want and what sort of content?

In terms of speed.. not sure whats going on for you - it loads fast for me and is completely usage.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Sign of the times. A lot of forums are struggling. Most people turn to Twitter and Facebook for news, reviews and to ask questions. I think a lot of people still like mactalk for the "for sale" area as it doesn't cost anything.

I get my news from Macrumors. I would never rely on Twitter or Facebook for such. Yikes.

And I have never joined any of the social networks like Twitter or Facebook.

I get much of my Apple News and tech developments from AppleInsider although MacRumours is getting more attention from me these days.

Since 1987 I've been a paying member of ClubMac, based in Sydney. The only one who writes anything in the ClubMac forums now is me. There is no news there and almost never does anyone contribute to discussions I start. I'm not planning to renew my annual sub there.

Seems to me that an Apple News and Forums site needs plenty of promotion, lots of active members, and be run by paid professionals, supported by advertising. (Sigh ... I use an ad-blocker!)

So, like ClubMac, I rarely look at AppleTalk these days.

Maybe we are time poor and are using too many sites to contribute anything meaningful to any of them. It would be logical for a chap like me who is long retired to put in plenty of time social networking and blogging but no. Too many trolls out there.

I get all my internet jollies from MMO gaming something like 8-10 hours per day, most days.

Geez, I even have a two years worth stack of Australian MacWorld mags that I should read. Nope, I've not the time. Planning not to renew my sub there as well. I guess that like most printed news publications, AMW will lose subscribers too.
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

I miss Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I get my news from Macrumors. I would never rely on Twitter or Facebook for such. Yikes.
    macrumours has both a Facebook and Twitter presence. That's more what I'm saying. People see headlines and follow through to sites of it sparks an interest. MacTalk is pretty much dead on social media, so nothing to follow.

I really wanted MacTalk to become relevant again but unfortunately I think it's dead now.

Most forum posts get very few comments.

I have moved to Macrumors (where at least their is an active forum) and iMore (the forums there have too many trolls though).
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Hmmm 8 posts to this rather appealing topic to talk about in nearly 48 hours... That says a bit MacTalk's health too I suppose.

[I must admit to being a lurker and not really a good contributor.]

I really liked it when MacTalk was a podcast as well as a forum [and the iPhone and iPad were new and the Mac was on the rise helped too]

I really liked the articles about interesting stuff [like reviews and tips etc] and when they were no longer being run and its just a "daily news". Its the lack of authored content that has left me to visit almost monthly now.

Still listen to the Reckoner podcast though!

There've been several such threads and rounds of "give us your feedback" or "here is our feedback" over the few years (3 or 4?) since Anthony left but it seems they were mostly placation as very little if anything was ever acted upon.

Simply go through the forum history and dig out these threads and you have your answers.

So if the owners/managers care about its slow death they have really no one to blame but themselves. There was (and possibly still is) a community that was willing to provide feedback and work to help make things happen but the owners have to care and to facilitate these changes and quite frankly I doubt that's the case or it wouldn't be in the state it's in.

The main thing I missed was real independent coverage that was objective and willing to criticise Apple openly when need be. Anthony had a knack for speaking his mind and being brutally honest, which is what I loved even if I didn't agree with everything he said (though he was on the money far more often than not). He was never afraid of levelling criticism or giving a poor review of an Apple product or service. If someone said they'd seen that on the current MacTalk I'd genuinely burst out laughing.

I spoke at length in forums past about what the news articles become, a complete snore-fest of pro Apple bias and basic "news" coverage that is little more than a rehash of the leading stories du jour or Apple press releases from over sites.

The other thing. Apple is no longer the cool or hip brand it once was. They're no longer the underdog. I think that has something to do with the changing nature of Apple sites. If anything this alone is justification for more balanced and independent coverage than we've been seeing. I don't believe in the "with us or against us" closed-minded crap that you see so often now. That is overly zealous Apple fanboyism or "shills" or, conversely, Apple haters and trolls.

So how about this? Abandon the current news coverage as we can (and are) getting it from other sites. Pick a topic. Provide an independent take on that topic, then pass it over to users to discuss. I'd like to see MacTalk be more of a traditional users group rather than a sub-par and woefully inadequate news service.

Get an independent voice MacTalk!
    Last edited by simonm; 2nd September 2015 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    There've been several such threads and rounds of "give us your feedback" or "here is our feedback" over the few years (3 or 4?) since Anthony left but it seems they were mostly placation as very little if anything was ever acted upon.

Simply go through the forum history and dig out these threads and you have your answers.

So if the owners/managers care about its slow death they have really no one to blame but themselves. There was (and possibly still is) a community that was willing to provide feedback and work to help make things happen but the owners have to care and to facilitate these changes and quite frankly I doubt that's the case or it wouldn't be in the state it's in.

The main thing I missed was real independent coverage that was objective and willing to criticise Apple openly when need be. Anthony had a knack for speaking his mind and being brutally honest, which is what I loved even if I didn't agree with everything he said (though he was on the money far more often than not). He was never afraid of levelling criticism or giving a poor review of an Apple product or service. If someone said they'd seen that on the current MacTalk I'd genuinely burst out laughing.

I spoke at length in forums past about what the news articles become, a complete snore-fest of pro Apple bias and basic "news" coverage that is little more than a rehash of the leading stories du jour or Apple press releases from over sites.

The other thing. Apple is no longer the cool or hip brand it once was. They're no longer the underdog. I think that has something to do with the changing nature of Apple sites. If anything this alone is justification for more balanced and independent coverage than we've been seeing. I don't believe in the "with us or against us" closed-minded crap that you see so often now. That is overly zealous Apple fanboyism or "shills" or, conversely, Apple haters and trolls.

So how about this? Abandon the current news coverage as we can (and are) getting it from other sites. Pick a topic. Provide an independent take on that topic, then pass it over to users to discuss. I'd like to see MacTalk be more of a traditional users group rather than a sub-par and woefully inadequate news service.

Get an independent voice MacTalk!
    Good thoughts, sorry for my brief reply.

I know some people do like the daily news, so I will continue to do it for the meantime, hopefully on a regular basis starting next week.

I'll try and write some articles, but we really need others willing to contribute, and I guess that means needing confirmation from Niche that they're interested in the site.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Well considering the government is about to start storing our metadata, how about some articles on that?

I agree, it's sad to see this site so empty and "lifeless". I miss decryption, Clockwork, the colourful members that no longer seem to post here. I also miss the podcasts - they created a sense of community, which is what this once was.

I wonder if the current owners are open to letting members take over the running of the site... or selling it... I would be interested, having run successful online communities in the past...
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    I agree, it's sad to see this site so empty and "lifeless". I miss decryption, Clockwork, the colourful members that no longer seem to post here. I also miss the podcasts - they created a sense of community, which is what this once was.

I wonder if the current owners are open to letting members take over the running of the site... or selling it... I would be interested, having run successful online communities in the past...
    They're not interested in a community take over/ running thing as far as I know.
    Last edited by Oldmacs; 3rd September 2015 at 12:39 AM.

Its also interesting to note the almost complete absence of the administrators of the site, who I assume are all Niche employees. One was on a few days ago, but the others... nothing for months. and they don't participate. Their own forums on Macworld are also crap. Clearly, they have no idea how to run forums as anything more than ad farms, and that, I'm afraid, interests me not one bit. When Anthony was running the site, I made the effort to click through. I've been running ad blockers full time on my computers and am about to switch to Mercury full time on my idevices, so I dont have to see them.

[edit] Ahhhhhh, thats better

Its also interesting to note the almost complete absence of the administrators of the site, who I assume are all Niche employees. One was on a few days ago, but the others... nothing for months. and they don't participate. Their own forums on Macworld are also crap. Clearly, they have no idea how to run forums as anything more than ad farms, and that, I'm afraid, interests me not one bit. When Anthony was running the site, I made the effort to click through. I've been running ad blockers full time on my computers and am about to switch to Mercury full time on my idevices, so I dont have to see them.

[edit] Ahhhhhh, thats better
    Kyte, not sure who you're referring to in regards to administrators? Do you mean moderators? The moderators for Mactalk are not Niche employees, they are members of the community.

Admins may be moderators but moderators arent necessarily admins. Don't get paranoid. I'm talking about Niche employees

Thingme in the late nineties ClubMac was the bees knees with local libraries, certainly in Newcastle, having each copy every month and I was a member and subscriber. The death of software a la floppy, the ease of downloading software via the 'net and the mag going online was for me pretty much a death throe. Remember the System 7 update to 7.0.1 consisted of fourteen floppy discs!

Admins may be moderators but moderators arent necessarily admins. Don't get paranoid. I'm talking about Niche employees
    I'm not being paranoid, I'm just curious who exactly you're talking about as I never see Niche employees around, I haven't really for a year or so.

We had a brief discussion about this in the Moderators forum a few weeks ago, and unfortunately the consensus from us is that without Niche handing over the admin rights to the forum so that we can make changes as needed the future of MTAU is very bleak indeed. We are extremely limited in what we can do without admin rights - basically all we are able to do is approve for sale posts, close and delete threads, and just very basic form maintenance. There has been no input from Niche for many, many months which leads us to believe that they have no interest in running the site anymore, but clearly the income from advertising is enough to make them continue to keep the site running in its current form.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast