Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Dual Monitors

Default Dual Monitors

Hi MT

I'd like to know how I can connect two Dell Ultrasharp 28" monitors to my 2009 17" Mac Book Pro. Can I connect one and daisy chain the second?

What connection will I need as this model isn't HDMI equipped.

Thanks.

Warren.

Only Thunderbolt supports daisy chaining AFAIK. Max external resolution for this machine is 2560 X 1600, so I can't see it running 2 big externals anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    Only Thunderbolt supports daisy chaining AFAIK. Max external resolution for this machine is 2560 X 1600, so I can't see it running 2 big externals anyway.
    Ok thanks for the reply. Cheers.

Try looking at the Matrox DualHead2Go...it looks like your system is compatible: Matrox Graphics - Products - Which GXM is right for your Mac - Graphics eXpansion Module

I've had one for a few years in my 2011 MBP and it works well, but it wasn't cheap and it sees both monitors as one big one so the dock is split.

I have Macbook Pro and iMac connected with Thunderbolt cable and it's working good sharing screen, only bad thing is to connect them you need also Apple keyboard to press Command+F2, is not working with other keyboard.

You can connect 1 via a mini display port to display port cable, thats it unfortunately.

Other adaptors are generally bad, very bad. (Not running full res / splitting res across multiple monitors / murdered by USB2 slowness)

Try looking at the Matrox DualHead2Go...it looks like your system is compatible: Matrox Graphics - Products - Which GXM is right for your Mac - Graphics eXpansion Module

I've had one for a few years in my 2011 MBP and it works well, but it wasn't cheap and it sees both monitors as one big one so the dock is split.
    We tried one of them a year or 2 so ago for a customer and weren't impressed by it as it was very slow. Of course they may be better now.
    Last edited by MadKiwi; 21st October 2015 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    We tried one of them a year or 2 so ago for a customer and weren't impressed by it as it was very slow. Of course they may be better now.
    They're as responsive as a native setup. You might have been running it on an unsupported machine.