Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Web + Email Hosting Recommendations in Newcastle?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for IT support companies in Newcastle?

I have been using a Sydney based company to manage my small business domain name (although all they currently do is re-direct it to another site until I have my own website design), and an email address associated with my domain name.

However this company seems to have disappeared, with their website showing an 'account suspended' message and no response from them via phone, email or twitter. My own domain name now shows the same message, so I need to find someone else to re-direct it for me as soon as possible!

I thought it may be worth looking for a local replacement who might also be able to help me with Mac or local network issues if the need arises.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mick (aka Stomick)
    Last edited by stomick; 31st July 2015 at 03:02 PM.

Did you buy your own domain or did this company buy it for you?
    If so, did they register it in your name?

New hosting is easy enough, but getting the DNS settings into your domain registrar is another question entirely.

I've used (and still do) Crucial:
    Hosting by Crucial

I also use Bluehost, although they are overseas:
    The Best Web Hosting | Fast Professional Website Hosting Services - Bluehost

Crucial can do your domain registration as well (including .com.au), Bluehost can only do .com

What's your domain?
    And if you want to share, who was the company that's disappeared?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Thanks Hawk.
    Sorry for the late response - I thought I had enabled notifications of new posts, plus I had a busy weekend with kids stealing my time!

Someone has also rectified a problem (paid their account perhaps?!) in the meanwhile, and my web address is now functioning normally so the issue is no longer urgent.

However, with the lack of communication from my hosting company, including their failure to respond to numerous messages from months ago regarding the change to redirection, is prompting me to change host in any case.

A web developer friend of mine bought my domain name (Find an Architect), but it is registered under my name and I have access to the account. That same friend used to handle this stuff for me, but he went and got a salary job - selfish bastard!

So now I pay another guy (a small Sydney IT business) a nominal monthly fee to maintain the technical side of my web presence. I'm not going to reveal his company just yet - I'll see if I get an explanation for the failure in service before I give them serious negative feedback on a public forum.

I was wondering if there were any local small equivalents of the Sydney business who manage both my hosting and any ad-hoc support, but it looks like I might as well keep the two services separate.

Since it's registered in your name at least you can move it (or have it moved) should you ever need to. Even if it means loosing all your data you can at least setup the email accounts and get a fresh site up, as painful as that might be, it's better than losing the lot.

I'd say you want to get a backup of your current site ASAP so you have at least got a point in time to start from should the worse happen.
    Drive a VW?

Thanks again Hawk. Luckily it's not so complicated for me - I don't have my own website, just need my domain name redirected to my company's page on another site under another domain name! So I guess it's not hosting as such... Anyway, I'm seeing if either of the guys you suggest can help. Cheers!

Hi stomick... I live in Newcastle, and when I could be bothered having a website and own domain, I went with a number of different companies, but always wanted Australian hosting. The most recent I was with, and found them to be excellent, was Zuver, which is the economy version of VentraIP. There isn't much in Newcastle itself, the market is well saturated with options and unless you are flush with cash, most available services are too expensive for what they offer.

You could also do some reading at Web hosting - Whirlpool Forums where many hosts for various services are discussed. Not always good, but also bad. Its worth knowing what else is out there.

I don't know why I didn't post this earlier:
    Web Hosting Talk Australia | Forum & Discussions

If you can get past all the marketing it can be a good place to find info.
    Drive a VW?

Thanks Sue. And thanks again Hawk.