Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Fanless MBA and games

I'm waiting for my MBA to arrive, it's main purpose is for word processing but I opted to get the 8gb ram and 2.2ghz processor in the hope that I might be able to play the occasional game of minecraft. I know the cpu is now fanless and I'm wondering how would that deal with games, I'm not going to be playing anything even remotely hardcore, minecraft is really about as heavy as I'll get. But still, no fan? I can't imagine how it stays cool enough not to kill itself.

Do you mean the new 12" MacBook?

The hand me down 13" 2011 MBA that my son uses has fans which max themselves out very quickly and he gets glitches and the occasional complete freeze/lockup while playing Minecraft. I've pulled it apart to clean any dust out of it (which there was nearly none) and we have since bought a little fan stand for it to sit on to help deal with heat (since it gets to 101/102C), something it's always done under load. Even my 2013 rMBP tend to get up to those sort of temps under full load. I've always accepted that as "normal" for Macs... trade off between quite, compact and cool (ie form over function).

It *could* be a hardware issue, but I looked into it a little and there are others reporting similar issues...
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisaone View Post
    I'm waiting for my MBA to arrive, it's main purpose is for word processing but I opted to get the 8gb ram and 2.2ghz processor in the hope that I might be able to play the occasional game of minecraft. I know the cpu is now fanless and I'm wondering how would that deal with games, I'm not going to be playing anything even remotely hardcore, minecraft is really about as heavy as I'll get. But still, no fan? I can't imagine how it stays cool enough not to kill itself.
    If its a 2.2 GHZ processor than its not a Macbook Retina, its definitely a Macbook Air, and the Airs have fans, its the Macbook Retina that does not.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Oh that is actually good to know. I must've misread. Anyway I'd much rather have a fan than not, noise isn't an issue for me but im curious then, same question, what would happen if you ran a game on the fanless macbook? How does it keep itself cool?

The rear case of the new MacBook is basically one big passive heatsink, passive heatsinks just get hot and then radiate the heat away so you'll get a hot lap if you game with one sitting on your lap (say in a train for example).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Lisaone View Post
    Oh that is actually good to know. I must've misread. Anyway I'd much rather have a fan than not, noise isn't an issue for me but im curious then, same question, what would happen if you ran a game on the fanless macbook? How does it keep itself cool?
    It keeps itself cool by being a slow computer... Its about as fast as a 2011 Macbook Air. In my opinion its a truly shocking display of form over function, but I guess it probably does appeal to some people.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5