Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac virus'

Default Mac virus'

I'm waiting for my new MBA to arrive and it'll be my first mac. I just read the sticky about us noobs switching from PCs (some very useful info that I was curious about and even some I hadn't thought of!) but it says to date (and that date was 2009!) there are only 1 virus and 1 trojan for OS X. Is this still true? One of the first things i had planned to do was install clamxav (i heard it was best) but maybe I don't need to?

I've been really paranoid about using AV since getting infected with a keylogger a few years ago despite being fairly careful. I know its much LESS likely with a mac but I'd really like the piece of mind.

I don't think it's really possible to get a definitive answer on this, but I'd hazard that only a tiny proportion of Mac users run AV. I've never had AV on any Mac I own or am responsible for and have never, in 20 years of heavy usage, been infected with any malware or had it happen close to me.

If you really want AV then there are things available, including the free ClamXav, but you will likely never need it. Just make sure you never click on links in emails without verifying them first and never enter any credentials into web pages that you haven't directly navigated to yourself.

And NEVER EVER install something called "MacKeeper" Its NASTY even though tis not technically a virus or trojan.

Pretty much this rule i apply to all my computers, don't run as administrator.

No Mac OS X viruses but malware is a bit of a problem. Malwarebytes has taken over AdwareMedic. Download that and run in scan if you have any concerns. Best maintainance app is still Onyx.

Why is MacKeeper "Nasty"? I've run this for a couple of years and it seems to be OK
    But maybe there's something I should know?

No, Brian. Apparently it does the job its supposed to do. Its the way it get advertised that pees me off, and the fact that a friend somehow ended up with it installed on her macbook (she knows she must have done it but has no recollection of doing so) and then had an awful time getting rid of it. Experienced Mac users have no problems but new-to-mac people seem to. Theres a lot of buzz around that its nasty, and I guess I jumped on that, but I shoudl qualify my remarks by saying there are better options. ClamXav is one. Sophos is another. And theres even a mac version of Avast out there as well. THose are AV/trojan killers I'm aware of being really good, Mackeeper just popped up out of nowhere a couple of years back. I don't run any of them anymore but I have Malwarebytes for periodic checks. So far so good.

For general maintenance there are options like Onyx and CleanmyMac (though I'm annoyed with them at the moment, upgrade to v3 is going to cost an arm and a leg so I wont).

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    ... including the free ClamXav...
    soulman, ClamXav is no longer freeware.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

Another one to be careful of is Bitdefender. It kept popping up every time I restarted my MBP in spite of deleting the app. Clean My Mac 3 finally got rid of it.

Oh joy. and no patch til 10.10.5. Well, on guard, everyone.

Disclaimer: I work for Kaspersky Lab - a company that produces Internet Security software.

Mac threats are out there. They exist and have been growing in recent years.

As of September last year, we had 1800 signatures for mac malware / viruses.

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2014/09...-os-x-malware/

It will continue to grow as macs continue to take more market share.

Having said that, until recently I never ran AV on my mac. Last virus I had was back on Mac OS 8.5.x

If you do want to trial our Mac product, you can see this link - Free Antivirus: Trial Versions | Kaspersky Lab AU
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

One word. Baloney and give Kapersky a big a wide berth as Symantec. This 'market share' nonsense has been circulating since OS X.1, and show me the viruses?

Malwarebytes for Mac is the best protection and I don't work for them!

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    One word. Baloney and give Kapersky a big a wide berth as Symantec. This 'market share' nonsense has been circulating since OS X.1, and show me the viruses?

Malwarebytes for Mac is the best protection and I don't work for them!

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/
    There is definitely a small amount of malware for OS X, which has become increasingly apparent in recent years, but I'm yet to see one so the threat is a bit over hyped IMHO anyway.
    Last edited by Oldmacs; 21st August 2015 at 10:42 AM.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I'm sure there's malware around...but I'm not convinced by a pitch from Kaspersky, about whom recent revelations cover in little glory. I use something else, and will do so even more adamantly after the contribution above.

A class action against Mackeeper has been determined with the company palcing $2m in trust to meert compensation claims. Why is it so canned?

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/m...app.zeobit.com

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    A class action against Mackeeper has been determined with the company palcing $2m in trust to meert compensation claims. Why is it so canned?

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/m...app.zeobit.com
    Probably because its an insidious bugger that gets into your computer often without you realising its a trap. It uses that popup marketing method that tells you theres something wrong with your computer, you get it, install it, and then when you realise it really is not something you want, refuses to let go and go away. At least, that was the experience of my friend who was relatively new to mac at the time. Don't you ever notice how virulent the advertising is? Anything that has to do sneaky advertising gets a big black mark from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mick132 View Post
    Another one to be careful of is Bitdefender. It kept popping up every time I restarted my MBP in spite of deleting the app. Clean My Mac 3 finally got rid of it.
    All those things that run in the background have to have their helper apps force quit before an uninstall. Deleting is never enough. You also need a proper uninstaller. I use both clean my mac2 (when I am in a cache cleaning mood as well) or Appcleaner. There are others, as well

How simply amazing kyte.

besides your post above is an ad.........got the dreaded Mackeeper lol!

LOL! Thats hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast