Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Red face NBN with Apple Time Casule TPG

Hi all,

First of all, I'm a complete novice so pardon me if I dont automatically understand tech terms.

I'm getting NBN installed at my house today with TPG.

I have an Apple Time Casule 2TB (bought a a few weeks ago so it's fairly new), which I use to back up my Apple devices.

It works perfect with my ADSL2+ connection where I just plug it into my modem router.

Now for the question, am I able to connect my Time Capsule to the NBN and have it working like it used to? TPG provided me with a Netcomm n300 router already preconfigured to NBN/TPG settings. I would really like to keep using my Time Capsule whilst getting the most efficient internet connection speed.

Thanks for the future replies!!

Belle

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

Yes the Time Capsule can do gigabit internet via both WiFi and ethernet, so just plug it in. You may still need to use the router if it is the interface to the NBN, otherwise take a note of the settings and use the Time Capsule instead.

Plug the time capsule WAN port with an ethernet cable into the UNI-D 1 of the NBN NTD that was freshly installed on your wall and off you go.

It does all the routing for you. No need for extra modems etc etc.

Lucky you. Was told here on mid north coast NSW at least five years away. Yay Tony bring on a double dissolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Phabelle View Post
    Am I able to connect my Time Capsule to the NBN and have it working like it used to? TPG provided me with a Netcomm n300 router already preconfigured to NBN/TPG settings. I would really like to keep using my Time Capsule whilst getting the most efficient internet connection speed.

Belle
    The Time Capsule / Airport Extreme work well with the Fibre/Fixed wireless NTD (I use an Extreme) The only problem could be the TPG Support Drones not knowing anything about Apple devices, and only being able to support the pre-configured N300.

Setup:
    1. Connect the Time Capsule WAN port to the NBN NTD Uni-D port (It will probably be Uni-D 1)

2. Open Airport Utility, click on the Time Capsule icon, then the Edit button.

3. Base Station tab:
    If not set already - Base Station Name: - Use a name with no spaces or special characters Base Station Password: ......

4. Internet tab:
    Connect Using: PPPoE (I believe TPG uses PPPoE like the majority of ISPs.)
    Account Name: As supplied by TPG
    Password: As supplied by TPG
    DNS Servers: Should automatically be relieved from TPG when connected.
    Internet Options... button
    PPPoE Connection: Always On
    Configure IPv6: Link-local only

5. Wireless tab:
    Network Mode: Create a wireless network
    Wireless Network Name: Your network name
    Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal
    Wireless Password: Your password

Quote Originally Posted by Alan53 View Post
    4. Internet tab:
    Connect Using: PPPoE (I believe TPG uses PPPoE like the majority of ISPs.)
    For the information of others viewing this thread who are with an ISP that uses IPoE on NBN connections, like iiNet, the setting is:
    Connect Using: DHCP

No need for a user name & password as it is set inside the NTD by your ISP.