Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Airport Express not detected by Airport Utility

G'day all

My wi-fi network consists of a Time Capsule router and an Airport Express to boost the signal. I changed the password for our network a couple of days ago and had to reset the Time Capsule. It has come back fine but I cannot get Airport Utility to see the Express unit. I have reset it and unplugged it for hours but it just won't appear.

Both the Time Capsule and Express are a few years old now but were working just fine until the password change.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Steve
    MacBook Pro 13", 64gb iPod Touch 5G

Connect the Airport Express to your mac via ethernet (for the initial setup).

Once you have it setup properly, you should be able to disconnect from ethernet then.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Thanks changa.

No ethernet port on my mac. How about the ethernet port at the back of the Time Capsule?

The other thought I've had today is to press the reset button on the Express while it is connected to mains power! Impossible to access where it is usually plugged in so I'll try a more convenient power point.

Cheers
    Steve

The ethernet port on your time capsule should work as well.

As for the reset of your Airport, I am pretty sure that you need to reset the Express when it is plugged in! You can tell if the reset works as the lights on the express will change and flash.

Use an extension cord and plug into that. Much easier than fiddling with it whilst it's plugged in.

I'm sure you will get it working.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Thanks changa

Nearly got there last night with resetting, plugging into ethernet port in Time Capsule etc but still can't quite get the Express finally configured. A couple of times the Time Capsule went down as well and had to be reset. I shall try again but probably not until the weekend.

All this because we loaned next door neighbours an old laptop after theirs was stolen in a burglary. The laptop connected to our wifi and they proceeded to hit our account very hard on Sat night (while we were not home).

I also need to figure out how to reconnect two printers to our wifi with the new password.

Cheers
    Steve

Apologies if you have done all this already
    Is the time capsule setup to create a wireless network using airport utility on your mac? Try a hard reset on the airport express
    http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201945

Then using airport utility on the mac selecting Other WiFi devices should find the expres. set it up to join an existing network