Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iOS 8.4: Where are my audiobooks?

I can't download from the store direct to my iPhone, books I already purchased (either of them - music or ibooks) and syncing via itunes makes them disappear into the ether. Seriously, what a cockup.

I'm sure some knowledgeable individual will be able to explain to me how I can now access my audiobooks?

[edit] Seems I jumped the gun as I often do. All good, but NOT until you update your OSX, iTunes *and* iOS. Only after that does everything work as it ought to.

The only other problem I have is that the store does not remember the 5 audiobooks I have purchased there. I'm glad I do regular backups these days.
    Last edited by kyte; 3rd July 2015 at 11:07 AM.

Looks like another example of Apple rushing out new products or updates without thorough testing.
    Honestly, Apple products don't "just work" anymore, and they seem to be getting worse. With every new update comes new issues to be worked out.
    As much as my whole household are firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, and as much as I hate to admit it, my recent acquisition of a Windows Laptop for work was a pleasurable experience - it DID all just work.
    I only hope that with the promised new iOS and OS X versions that Apple have concentrated more on fixing glitches and performance than on adding new features that won't interact properly with existing programs, or dumbing down existing programs to the point where we need to look for non-apple alternatives.

I think updates are going to be a thing of the past for me. I'm not impressed with anything about iOS9 (in terms of what I have heard) and I won't be updating my macbook or mini to the latest when that arrives, either. I'm seriously over it all and am considering downgrading what I can, to the last OS I was happy with, that being Mountain Lion. Sadly, cannot do much about iOS since that appears to be all locked down now.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I think updates are going to be a thing of the past for me. I'm not impressed with anything about iOS9 (in terms of what I have heard) and I won't be updating my macbook or mini to the latest when that arrives, either. I'm seriously over it all and am considering downgrading what I can, to the last OS I was happy with, that being Mountain Lion. Sadly, cannot do much about iOS since that appears to be all locked down now.
    I'm almost thinking the same thing re iOS 9 and OS X 10.11.... There are so few useful features, as the focus was/is on performance, but I don't really believe that Apple has really improved anything if what i've read is correct, so whats the point in updating. I'm sick of the yearly OS X update. It would be a massive improvement if it was every 2 years, then they could make a full feature release that is also stable and fast.

Yosemite started out great for me, but with each .x version, its gotten worse. I hated Mavericks, so Mountain Lion was probably my last favourite.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Spywalker56 View Post
    Looks like another example of Apple rushing out new products or updates without thorough testing.
    Honestly, Apple products don't "just work" anymore, and they seem to be getting worse. With every new update comes new issues to be worked out.
    As much as my whole household are firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, and as much as I hate to admit it, my recent acquisition of a Windows Laptop for work was a pleasurable experience - it DID all just work.
    I only hope that with the promised new iOS and OS X versions that Apple have concentrated more on fixing glitches and performance than on adding new features that won't interact properly with existing programs, or dumbing down existing programs to the point where we need to look for non-apple alternatives.
    Same with me. Things don't just work anymore. I'm firmly in the Apple ecosystem and I don't want to leave, but Windows 10 seems to just work. It runs brilliantly on a HDD, where as Yosemite runs terribly. Even on my new SSD, Yosemite takes longer to do things than it should. I am really really hoping that iOS 9 is stable and the same goes for OS X 10.11.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    It would be a massive improvement if it was every 2 years, then they could make a full feature release that is also stable and fast.

Yosemite started out great for me, but with each .x version, its gotten worse. I hated Mavericks, so Mountain Lion was probably my last favourite.
    OSX *was* released two yearly for quite some time. Starting with Panther (2003) and ending with Lion (2011). Back then, we used to get excited about the updates. I was one of those who lined up for Tiger in 2005, and Leopard in 2007. THings began changing with Snow Leopard in 2009 and I think the beginning of the end for me was with Lion in 2011. I did like Mountain Lion though. And not much since.

OSX *was* released two yearly for quite some time. Starting with Panther (2003) and ending with Lion (2011). Back then, we used to get excited about the updates. I was one of those who lined up for Tiger in 2005, and Leopard in 2007. THings began changing with Snow Leopard in 2009 and I think the beginning of the end for me was with Lion in 2011. I did like Mountain Lion though. And not much since.
    I know it was :P Just saying that they should go back to that. We got Tiger on day 1 and it was great - I remember the excitement over spotlight and dashboard. Also had Lion and each subsequent version on day 1. Snow Leopard was great for stability.. hoping 10.11 turns out to be the same. Lion had some annoying aspects but overall I loved it. I really do like Yosemite, apart from the fact its gotten really buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I know it was :P Just saying that they should go back to that. We got Tiger on day 1 and it was great - I remember the excitement over spotlight and dashboard. Also had Lion and each subsequent version on day 1. Snow Leopard was great for stability.. hoping 10.11 turns out to be the same. Lion had some annoying aspects but overall I loved it. I really do like Yosemite, apart from the fact its gotten really buggy.
    All I can say about Yosemite is... oh well, there it is. I'm neither impressed nor distressed. I just no longer give a rats, like I used to. Apple is changing in the way it does business. Also, theres something about Mactalk as well. Seems to me that a huge percentage of new posts are in the trading forum. Is this what we have come to? Sighhhh. Colour me disappointed. I love my macs, but I think from now on I will be sitting tight. (Wondering how my Macbook might like to be Linux-ized in the future)

All I can say about Yosemite is... oh well, there it is. I'm neither impressed nor distressed. I just no longer give a rats, like I used to. Apple is changing in the way it does business. Also, theres something about Mactalk as well. Seems to me that a huge percentage of new posts are in the trading forum. Is this what we have come to? Sighhhh. Colour me disappointed. I love my macs, but I think from now on I will be sitting tight. (Wondering how my Macbook might like to be Linux-ized in the future)
    I think Apple has moved out of the 'Prosumer' market... I don't know about you but I firmly place myself as a prosumer, and I would assume most Mactalkers would as well. That could explain the lack of interest on Mactalk (that and other factors) and why people like you and I are growing dissatisfied with Apple.

TBH I have no idea what Apple's market is. Cashed up Yuppies?

TBH I have no idea what Apple's market is. Cashed up Yuppies?
    People who want to check Facebook and upload their iPhone photos to Instagram? Or people who want a designer product rather than a computer that works well and looks good.

Well... its not people like us, anymore.

Default iOS 8.4: Where are my audiobooks?

I miss the MacTalkers of old - Anthony/decryption and others...

And I agree re Apple's direction. It's one thing to iOS everything. But why throw out the baby with the bathwater. It all started with iMovie/FCP... Now with Aperture/iPhoto... What next...
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

The Apple dweebs assume many things about OSX/iOS users. One of those is that we appreciate quality (true) and another is that we will automatically accept anything they happen to think is best for us (not true except for a few diehard fanbois), and a third is that we have unlimited funds (not true for many of us. I'm a pensioner now, have been for the last 4 years).

I hated the System x operating system, but I have loved OSX. I loved iOS before it was called that, but I have been failing to love it since the iOS7 upgrade. Right now, iOS is forcing me to upgrade to whatever is next because guess what... without it, I can't even access the app store on my ipad (yes I know that maybe not whats happening, I'm going to completely restore my iPad, been having wifi issues in the last few weeks). I'm seriously pissed off. I think thats the next step, though. Forced upgrades or no access to the things you want or need. Seriously rethinking my commitment to the Apple ecosystem, even though I have spent so much money within it.