Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Telstra Air - Anyone signed up for it yet

So Telstra have rolled out their new wifi hotspots called Tesltra Air.

Short story is if you use Telstra at home you can use your login to use your bandwith out and about at no extra cost. Catch is that to do that you have to agree to turn your wifi at home into a hotspot, via a specific modem you get from them.

more details here https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband...FRUmvQodQpIErA

Lone catch is that for me the modem on cable would be an extra $9 a month, which kind of flys in the face of free in a way.

so wondering has anyone signed up and grabbed the new modems?
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

I was planning to move back to Telstra, and maybe take advantage of this but since their new plans have been released... No. Not worth it to me.

I've seen the pink WiFi phone booths around the city in Melbourne, and wondered whether Australia was actually going to offer free WiFi to its citizens, if only within the CBD(s).

I guess that's not the case if you need to have Telstra internet and share your home access point.

My internet connection is not with Telstra, and this is not something that will encourage me to join.
     Late 2009 Mac mini (C2D 2.26GHz),  G4 PowerMac QuickSilver (dual 1GHz),  G4 PowerMac QuickSilver (733MHz),  iPod touch 8G 2nd gen.

We're with Telstra and I've thought about it but then I remembered my poor sync speed (about 5 mbit) which is barely enough for our own use so I decided not to. The extra $9 a month doesn't exactly please me either.

At the very least I'd have thought they'd have been willing to supply a compatible router for those out of contract and willing to sign for a new contract but from what I've read it seems that it's an extra $9 a month even with a new contract.

For occasional free use of a wifi hotspot that seems like poor value to me.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Do you have to stand around the pink Wifi booths to get your own wifi? Most I've seen (in metro Melbourne, not CBD) are old payphone booths and don't look too friendly. Might as well go to Maccas/some other cafe for their wifi I reckon.

Poor value and Telstra... surely not

Telstra, yeah not happening. ok concept but if i were going to effectively connection share I'd be running completely separate hardware.
    from a few people i know that were looking into it they have said it's both way overpriced and there is no compensation made to you for the use or risk you take on when using said routers.

don't do it kids.
    PC l 980X l 24GB l 8TB l GTX590 l 7 Ult x64 l Corsair CC750D
    Server l E3-1245v3 l 32GB l 20TB l Fedora 21 LVM ZFS RaidZ2
    Burning 'Book l 17" A1297 l 2860QM l 6770M 1GB l 2.25TB l Antiglare

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I regularly get 110 Mbps on my BigPond connection, but to get Telstra air I would have to upgrade my modem, and pay $216 for the privilege.
    They want me to give up bandwidth, and then pay more on top? I don't think so.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I've seen the payphones with the pink WiFi hotspots around Sydney for a few months now, for a few months they were completely free, up until now. I'm on Internode and have no desire to switch...furthermore one thing that worries me about sharing my own Internet is what would happen in the event someone used my connection to do something illegal, or hack into my internal LAN.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

I think that Telstra would have it fairly well locked down. Remember that nobody could log in without their own Telstra account, and they are logging in to Telstra Air via your modem. They arent logging in to the modem itself. My concern would be losing access to a portion of my bandwidth. I'm out in the burbs and the only people who would be likely to want to use it would be people cruising about in cars. It may not even be an isssue. But, having to get a special modem and pay more? no thanks.

I don't understand why Telstra has limited this to its customers that have Telstra broadband in their homes. In my case, that's the most inferior and expensive option. But we do have a house full of Telstra mobile users, and I'd like to use Air 😐

Quote Originally Posted by TimboC View Post
    I don't understand why Telstra has limited this to its customers that have Telstra broadband in their homes. In my case, that's the most inferior and expensive option. But we do have a house full of Telstra mobile users, and I'd like to use Air 😐
    Thats easy to understand. You have to be willing to share some of your bandwidth in order to be able to make use of someone else's.

The concept of sharing a couple of mb of bandwidth (which is the default for an ADSL home share I'm told) isn't necessarily a bad one but Telstra should be offering incentives to their customers in order to encourage them to provide their bandwidth.

Instead it seems to me that they're asking people to give up bandwidth and then penalising them by charging them extra and to rub salt into the wound requiring anyone not currently in contract to sign up for a new contract.

Talk about having your cake and eating it too!
    Last edited by Geoff3DMN; 10th July 2015 at 12:13 PM.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

I'd happily share my broadband bandwidth if I could. But because I can't, I can't use the service. Just saying there ought to be a range of options.

I can't see much point of this. I get a fast speed at home via cable that I had to pay heaps for, otherwise I got 1-2mBit on ADSL 2 due to such a long phone line run. For the priviledge I can now share my cable that I had to fork out way more, and then get wifi in places were I get 4G LTE on my phone anyway.

Oh as a bonus, I get to pay for a new modem/router after just doing that 6mths ago as well.
    Last edited by woofy; 10th July 2015 at 01:40 PM.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by TimboC View Post
    I'd happily share my broadband bandwidth if I could. But because I can't, I can't use the service. Just saying there ought to be a range of options.
    You can always use McDonalds. The thing is its based on a reciprocal arrangement. If you can't donate some of your bandwidth, you shouldnt expect someone else to make theirs available to you, is all I'm saying. Maybe Telstra will provide many free wifi spots to users in the future (one can hope), but for now, it can only work if everyone shares.

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    I can't see much point of this. I get a fast speed at home via cable that I had to pay heaps for, otherwise I got 1-2mBit on ADSL 2 due to such a long phone line run. For the priviledge I can now share my cable that I had to fork out way more, and then get wifi in places were I get 4G LTE on my phone anyway.

Oh as a bonus, I get to pay for a new modem/router after just doing that 6mths ago as well.
    Exactly. It really is all froth and bubble, designed to separate you from more of your hard-earned.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    You can always use McDonalds.
    Of the 4 close(ish) McDonalds only one has wifi that's even usable (and it's very slow), the other 3 are functionally dead (even when it's late at night and there's only 1 or 2 people in the shop).

I find myself wondering if locals are pointing high gain antennas at the Maccas and leeching all the bandwidth.