Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Apple Music and Beats 1 thoughts

With all the iTunes, iOS and OS X updates in the wild now needed for us to enjoy the new Apple Music and Beats 1 features, what are your thoughts?

Particularly interested in the views of MacTalkers who have been using other streaming services up until now.

Apple Music has a free three month trial so worth checking it out once you grab all the updates.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

My first impressions this morning were good. Beats 1 seemed to be playing older music and it was varied (jay-z followed by the Beastie Boys). Catalogue range of music is pretty good - compared to spotify which often has albums missing from more popular artists.

The bad news though - this afternoon I noticed most of my playlists had disappeared. When trying to recreate one for a run I found some albums were missing (mostly CD rips of compilations) and some obvious UX issues when creating a playlist.

I have a sense that Apple Music is simply a repackaging of the previous Genius Mixes that iTunes packaged together out of my music, augmented by some music I haven't purchased.

I'm also less than impressed by the iPhone interface, which is suddenly very different and unfamiliar to use in the car; even Siri is confused when I ask for one of my (previously well-used) playlists.

No doubt, in time, I will be trained by Apple!

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

One negative is that all track numbers have disappeared. This is playing my own music from both an album and a playlist. Also on my iOS devices album view is gone and you can only browse by artist. The Beats 1 does not really have my tastes in music, but I only listened for a short time.

Mick, there's still an album view, but it's a bit more complex. First, in the Settings menu, you can select how albums in your library are sorted. Then, in the Music app, if you select "my music", you'll see in the top centre of the screen "Artists" which you can touch to select "Albums"...it's there, but not as we used to know it

I like apple music, and I like the new music app features Such as up next, the mini player and a few other thing so. I really hate how on device music has been relegated into two tabs (or one) on the bottom. I'd like albums, artists, playlists and then a more button for the rest. I'd love if we could customise and remove say "new" and "connect" and replace with albums and artists.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TimboC View Post
    Mick, there's still an album view, but it's a bit more complex. First, in the Settings menu, you can select how albums in your library are sorted. Then, in the Music app, if you select "my music", you'll see in the top centre of the screen "Artists" which you can touch to select "Albums"...it's there, but not as we used to know it
    Yes I found that today. I also updated iTunes this morning and can report that there were no problems. The layout is the same as the last version with the addition of the tabs for Radio etc. Mashable is reporting that some people are having problems since updating iTunes where the tracks, artists and artwork are being jumbled. I definitely have not had this problem.

I haven't explored it fully yet but I do like the custom 'For You' radio stations that it generates based off your initial input.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Gotta say, I'm enjoying Beats1. It's making my music app on the iPhone feel 'alive'.
    Early impressions are positive.
    --------------------
    macbook pro, mirror door g4, ipod shuffle, ipod 5g
    passion: music

Well I have cancelled my Spotify subscription. I'm loving Apple Music! I like Beats 1, and personally I'd rather give my money to Apple than Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye View Post
    Well I have cancelled my Spotify subscription. I'm loving Apple Music! I like Beats 1, and personally I'd rather give my money to Apple than Spotify.
    Whats wrong with Spotify? I mean... why is Apple Music better?

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Whats wrong with Spotify? I mean... why is Apple Music better?
    I can't speak for everyone, but in my case it's better because I don't have to switch apps constantly between music/iTunes and spotify. It's just more convenient and integrated.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I haven't yet had a chance to use it. just got back from sorting out my parents tech meltdown. will review once i have.

still need to grab the new iOS builds.
    PC l 980X l 24GB l 8TB l GTX590 l 7 Ult x64 l Corsair CC750D
    Server l E3-1245v3 l 32GB l 20TB l Fedora 21 LVM ZFS RaidZ2
    Burning 'Book l 17" A1297 l 2860QM l 6770M 1GB l 2.25TB l Antiglare

Does anyone else find that Beats 1 music is really overhyped? I mean... really why is it so special?

Is there a difference to how iTunes processes music now? For some reason the sound of songs has improved dramatically with this update. I can hear things clearly in songs that were previously drowned out. Just a crisper, cleaner sound. Either that, or I'm going crazy...