Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default 5300c networking

Ok , I overcame the keyboard prob , now the next challenge ....connect to the network .
    I got a PCMCIA card ...Etherlink 596 c ( from memory ) ....prob is I d'loaded the driver , on the iMac G3 ...but if I save it to a floppy , the 5300 can't read the disk .
    Can a PowerBook read 1.4 mb floppies ? Or is it only capable of reading 800 K ? ...and vice versa ?
    Driving me bonkers ....what's new ?

That's rubbish ...it's a 3C 589 card ....( well I didn't have it with me ....and I was tired ) ...:-)
    Last edited by prak97; 29th June 2015 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prak97 View Post
    Ok , I overcame the keyboard prob , now the next challenge ....connect to the network .
    I got a PCMCIA card ...Etherlink 596 c ( from memory ) ....prob is I d'loaded the driver , on the iMac G3 ...but if I save it to a floppy , the 5300 can't read the disk .
    Can a PowerBook read 1.4 mb floppies ? Or is it only capable of reading 800 K ? ...and vice versa ?
    Driving me bonkers ....what's new ?
    You may have a dead floppy drive... can your powerbook read any disk?

The 5300 will read 1.4 and 800K disks.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

yes ...no problem reading some disks ...but not the one(s) from the G3 iMac...
    So I thought id be smart , and fire up an old beige G3 i had in the wardrobe ...and a raft of other issues ensued ( of course ) .
    The beige booted , but the 5 ton monitor wouldnt power up .
    Now neither the beige G3 or the Monitor power up .
    (Bluebottle thinks...."is it too late to get a life ?" )

I'm assuming your G3 iMac USB floppy drive is dead then? At least they're cheap to replace, or I suggest the PCMCIA CF route ...

Well it wasn't dead , but is now , and in the bin .😉
    There has been progress , fired up a Linux laptop , and a floppy that is read / writable , and works on the 5300 and the Linux machine.
    D' loaded a Farallon .sit file , put that in the Extensions folder , and at boot up I get flashing lights on the card / dongle , but still get the error that I don't have the right software for the card .
    Doesn't help that the 5300 os 8 cannot un stuff the .sit files .

You need to unstuff the .sit file - this isn't the driver, the extensions are within. Try unstuffing them on the iMac, but you'll need to copy the files to a floppy on the Mac side of things, otherwise the resource fork will be removed if you copy the (unstuffed) files over to the Linux box.

And this is why Macs were complained about in the day for not being very compatible with PCs ....

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    You need to unstuff the .sit file - this isn't the driver, the extensions are within. Try unstuffing them on the iMac, but you'll need to copy the files to a floppy on the Mac side of things, otherwise the resource fork will be removed if you copy the (unstuffed) files over to the Linux box.

And this is why Macs were complained about in the day for not being very compatible with PCs ....

JB
    Cheers ... I didnt explain that very well , i did unstuff it , transferred them to the Linux box , put them on the floppy .
    I dont know what a resource fork is :-)

I dont know what a resource fork is :-)
    Classic MacOS used a dual fork file arrangement that put the data in one place and everything else associated with or needed by the file - metadata and other resources - in another. It's been deprecated for a long time, but is still supported on HFS+ disks. And nowhere else that I know of. If you try to transfer a file with a resource fork onto a system that doesn't support them, the resources will most likely be ignored. System extensions, from what I can recall, are mainly resources so it's definitely not going to work. .sit files are data fork only though, so as long as it's compressed it will travel OK.

I think your best bet might be to get a copy of (the free) StuffIt Expander and transfer that via the Linux box with the .sit file and expand it on the 5300. It's a bit surprising the 5300 doesn't have it on it somewhere. It was ubiquitous back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    Classic MacOS used a dual fork file arrangement that put the data in one place and everything else associated with or needed by the file - metadata and other resources - in another. It's been deprecated for a long time, but is still supported on HFS+ disks. And nowhere else that I know of. If you try to transfer a file with a resource fork onto a system that doesn't support them, the resources will most likely be ignored. System extensions, from what I can recall, are mainly resources so it's definitely not going to work. .sit files are data fork only though, so as long as it's compressed it will travel OK.

I think your best bet might be to get a copy of (the free) StuffIt Expander and transfer that via the Linux box with the .sit file and expand it on the 5300. It's a bit surprising the 5300 doesn't have it on it somewhere. It was ubiquitous back in the day.
    SUCCESS ....thanks to you ...and the .sit info .....what I eventually did ...fired up a SE30 of all things .
    formatted a floppy , transferred the .sit file for the PCCard to it ...popped it in the SE30 ...found Stuffit ( youre right the Powerbook didnt have it ) expanded the file...popped it in the PB , then in the Extensions folder ....and rebooted ....voila !

This site helped as well :-)
    EtherLink III PCMCIA cards and the Mac Powerbooks

Of course Netscape Nav is a bit lame these days ( well I had to try it ) ...hopefully I can get onto my local network and transfer all these old files ( without having to use floppies ) .....happy days :-)

Cheers

Thanks Byrd ....owe you big time ....cheers

"I think your best bet might be to get a copy of (the free) StuffIt Expander and transfer that via the Linux box with the .sit file and expand it on the 5300. It's a bit surprising the 5300 doesn't have it on it somewhere. It was ubiquitous back in the day."

:-) how could i expand it without Stuffit ....that was my problem :-)
    Last edited by prak97; 3rd July 2015 at 07:06 PM.

5300C ...ok that was a short -lived romance , i had it going long enough to get the files off it and using email to transfer them .
    But sadly it died last week , was using floppies ( quite a few ) to see what they contained , then quite suddenly rigor mortis set in .
    So now I get a flashing floppy /question mark and have been trying in vain to make a boot floppy from the G3 and/or the SE hdfd.
    No luck so far , as I cant seem to get a floppy to format at more than 1.1 or 1.2 Mb , and i need 1.4 .
    Amazingly there's little help in Google-world.
    Lots of stuff about HFS and HFS+ etc but no real explanation as to why I can't format to the full capacity of the floppy 1.4 Mb.
    Anyone ??

The Saga of the 5300c PowerPC ....continues...(yawn )

This is after I got it to boot with a DiskTools 2 floppy ...(ebay ).
    After using the floppy to boot , I did manage to copy a file
    (or 2 ) into a System Folder on the HD , Cant remember what files ...up-shot was it rebooted from
    the HD , which was a great leap forward .

So it starts up saying the software is designed to run from a floppy ...then continues to boot from
    the HD. I picked up the laptop , it lost power and switched off , losing a document I was typing .
    Theres nothing in the Apple Menu dropdown except ďAboutĒ.

I can't get the Control strip to work , I have no access to extensions as there appears to be no
    Extensions Manager .( update I did find it and put it in the System / Extensions Folder ) , but on
    reboot I still get no Control Panel strip or any Extensions loading .

I might try to get a System 7.5 set of disks ( I know I cant make my own ).

Another day and still no closer , still the extensions donít load , nor the control panels , if I
    try to do anything I get ďthis software is designed to run from floppy ď or something like that .

Iím thinking that this is a throwback to using the DiskTools Floppy originally to get it to boot at
    all. Going round in circles here.
    Tried to load Sys 9.0 on the iMac G3 but none of those dvdís work
    either. Thinking that with Sys 9 , I could d;load some Sys 7.5 Disks and transfer them to floppy ,
    and try to reload the entire OS on the Powerbook .
    The Gods are conspiring against me.
    I just want toget this machine running the way it was before , with all guns blazing , and able to access the Net
    ( even if it was only to send emails ) coz browsing the Web is crap on this m/c.

Help ??

The Saga of the 5300c PowerPC ....continues...(yawn )

This is after I got it to boot with a DiskTools 2 floppy ...(ebay ).
    After using the floppy to boot , I did manage to copy a file
    (or 2 ) into a System Folder on the HD , Cant remember what files ...up-shot was it rebooted from
    the HD , which was a great leap forward .

So it starts up saying the software is designed to run from a floppy ...then continues to boot from
    the HD. I picked up the laptop , it lost power and switched off , losing a document I was typing .
    Theres nothing in the Apple Menu dropdown except ďAboutĒ.

I can't get the Control strip to work , I have no access to extensions as there appears to be no
    Extensions Manager .( update I did find it and put it in the System / Extensions Folder ) , but on
    reboot I still get no Control Panel strip or any Extensions loading .

I might try to get a System 7.5 set of disks ( I know I cant make my own ).

Another day and still no closer , still the extensions donít load , nor the control panels , if I
    try to do anything I get ďthis software is designed to run from floppy ď or something like that .

Iím thinking that this is a throwback to using the DiskTools Floppy originally to get it to boot at
    all. Going round in circles here.
    Tried to load Sys 9.0 on the iMac G3 but none of those dvdís work
    either. Thinking that with Sys 9 , I could d;load some Sys 7.5 Disks and transfer them to floppy ,
    and try to reload the entire OS on the Powerbook .
    The Gods are conspiring against me.
    I just want toget this machine running the way it was before , with all guns blazing , and able to access the Net
    ( even if it was only to send emails ) coz browsing the Web is crap on this m/c.

Help ??
    If you want I should be able to make a bootable Harddrive and post it to you? I have several spare HDDs which would work in a 5300. I can even test the said Harddrive on my own 5300

Let me know if you're interested.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post

If you want I should be able to make a bootable Harddrive and post it to you? I have several spare HDDs which would work in a 5300. I can even test the said Harddrive on my own 5300

Let me know if you're interested.
    That's very kind , I'd be very interested ( i'd even PAY ) :-)

That being said , I did have some progress ....seems the boot from floppy created another System Folder , who knew ?...so I move Extensions and Control Panels into it, and it sort of works ....I get the Extns to load ( some of them dont so I removed them ) .
    I now have a light on the Network card , but I cant get the existing Eudora Lite or Netscape to load .( working on it ) .
    So I need to configure the network card again , I assume that's a TCP/IP thing , still looking for it :-)
    Were there's a will there's a way . :-)

Cheers and thanks