Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Most suitable alternative to JW player

I've been having a bit of a traumatic time now that bitsontherun no longer offer their pay as you go video hosting. I intend to us Amazon S3 to host my video on my wordpress.org site.

At the moment I have tested the JW player, free version which has their logo on the corner but I don't want that or the link away from my site. So I am forced to spend $149 per year to get rid of it, however I suspect that there is a free alternative out there but I'm looking for one that won't go belly up or be unsupported or otherwise not work suddenly in six months.

I am only hosting low res tiny clips for the purposes of review or illustration of academic concepts. As such they will be used under 'fair use'. The files are mostly 320 x 240 px and a few mb in size.

I found one called 'sublime video' but that is closing down as they sold out to daily motion. This is the sort of problem I'm trying to avoid.

I just want a minimalistic player that I can use on my wordpress.org site to embed from amazon S3, and I don't want any branding. I will convert all my videos to H.264 mp4

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best solution, or will I always be behind the eightball if I don't go for the paid player.

thanks.
    Last edited by gallet; 19th June 2015 at 11:51 AM.

Can you not use youtube?

No, youtube will probably remove any clips I post no matter if it's fair use or not, plus they'll put their logo on the player and direct people away from my site, plus they are a bunch of cnuts. However after tearing my hair out for a few days I've been able to get the built in wordpress player to do a pretty good job after I discovered some short codes. So with AWS S3 it's all looking hunky dory now. I couldn't use the Amazon plugins due to a cURL version error but I'm able to link directly so it's all good. Finally.