Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down

Bring the 60's to your dashboard with I Love Lamp, a lava lamp widget that uses Quartz to render a non-stop stream of animated bubbles.
    I Love Lamp uses an open source Quartz Composer Plugin. For more information on the plugin visit qcw-plugin.sourceforge.net.

I Love Lamp is a universal binary, as are all of our widgets.
    • What's new in version 1.5
    • Far more efficient than version 1.1 (up to 20x more efficient&#33
    • More shapes and skins (7 in total now)
    • New lava algorithm (the old algorithm has been kept in the "Red Classic" skin)
    • The lava now pauses when dashboard is inactive and unpauses when it becomes active, rather than restarting

Hope you all like it!

Download it here

Thanks marc and iSlayer...........was waiting for this one after you showed me the pics of this the other day.

Great! I love the skins, and the pausing when Dashboard is inactive was a much needed "feature".

On a slightly different, but related, note. Does anyone know where I can actually buy a lava lamp that looks like these?

Beautiful!

I couldn't get the previous ones to work Marc, but this one does.

Edit: After watching television and switching my iMac back on, I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.

Will this continue to appear marc?
    Thinking about what next to think about . . . . . . . . .
    24" iMac: 15" iMac G4 "lampshade" 12" Performa 580

Originally posted by Goodbye@Jan 28 2006, 07:44 PM
    Great! I love the skins, and the pausing when Dashboard is inactive was a much needed "feature".

On a slightly different, but related, note. Does anyone know where I can actually buy a lava lamp that looks like these?
    I have two lava lamps, one a genuine Mathmos that looks just like the Retro Silver skin. I'll try to find the box for it to figure out who the Australian distributor is, but it's not very difficult to buy them in Melbourne.

Originally posted by Georgina EG@Jan 28 2006, 07:57 PM
    I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.

Will this continue to appear marc?
    I'm not sure, but that sounds like an OS X thing, not a widget thing. The download is just a link to a ZIP file. We have no control over where the system puts it after unarchiving.

Can you confirm that it didn't happen again?

Is the widget working ok for everyone?

We've had one report of the centre showing up as an unmasked box. I'm assuming this is only on older, non CoreImage supported systems.

After watching television and switching my iMac back on, I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.
    You could have pressed "clear" on the downloads window of Safari and this would have put it there. Also OS X will do that once everytime you install a new widget because after unarchiving, it trashes the ZIP file.

Edit - I had the same thing because the old I Love Lamp widget is being trashed too. This accounts for the second file.

Edit 2 - Yes Marc, my widget is working fine.

Hi marc, no the two items in the Trash haven't appeared again, however, now when I click onto Dashboard, two of the lamps appear overlapping each other, and then disappear completely as my other widgets load.

Georgina, please try removing all the I Love Lamp widgets from your dashboard by opening the dashboard tray then clicking the "x" in the top left hand corner. Then please add a new I Love Lamp widget.

Marc, I've just logged on, and clicking onto Dashboard, your lamp is now working, I didn't have to do anything. Initially a second lamp came on as before, but disappeared leaving the one I have now.

An update marc . . . I've just clicked onto Dashboard and THREE lamps appeared, and although I expected the two close together to disappear as they've done before, they remained. I've clicked them off, but they seem to have a mind of their own.

Originally posted by Goodbye@Jan 28 2006, 07:44 PM
    Try your local Science Museum shop?
    I'm not compatible with Windows

Originally posted by Georgina EG@Feb 1 2006, 09:35 PM
    An update marc . . . I've just clicked onto Dashboard and THREE lamps appeared, and although I expected the two close together to disappear as they've done before, they remained. I've clicked them off, but they seem to have a mind of their own.

Not sure about that. We'll look into it!

iluvmymactoo Guest

What's the purpose of this widget again? I'm sure it was fun for you guys to create but having widgets that serve no useful purpose (or that don't work as they should) is kind of pointless really.

Its a bit of fun, thats all. I think they've done an awesome job.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 01:34 PM
    What's the purpose of this widget again? I'm sure it was fun for you guys to create but having widgets that serve no useful purpose (or that don't work as they should) is kind of pointless really.
    It's an exercise to see what is and what isn't possible in coding a widget. Also to further the coding skills of the programers. But so pointless :huh:
    Q: How many Apple Newtons does it take to change a light bulb? A: Foux! There to eat lemons, axe gravy soup.
    'Cooper' - Intel iMac 24"; 3.06Ghz C2D, nVidia 8800GS-T, 2GB, 500GB
    'Falcon' iPhone 3G 16GB White
    'Pods Yerfunkle' - iPod 5.5G 30GB
    'Tiny' - iPod Shuffle 2G 1GB Blue

Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 01:04 PM
    It's equal to iTunes visualizer. Which I sit and watch whem I'm bored. So I think it is kinda cool!

Disko's right, it's just a bit of fun, and at the very least it shows us the alternative skills of those who develop such things.

What I would like to see now is a widget of one of those dangling corkscrew wind creations . . . also having no purpose except to delight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast