Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: which though?!

Default which though?!

Hello,

I am new to Apple laptops and I have a short question...

I am not sure which one to buy between these two laptops:

Apple MacBook Air 13" 256GB
    1.6 Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    4 GB RAM
    256 SSD

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...-256gb/697045/

and

Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz
    2.5 Dual-Core i5
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...-2-5ghz/87407/

------------

Obviously I can see that the Air has better battery life (12 vs 7hr). Also I know 500 GB>256 GB.

What I do not know - will the difference in processor make the macbook pro a better choice or will the difference in SSD vs HDD make the Air a better choice? What I mean is will the SSD being faster compensate so much in speed that it will make up for benefit of extra space + processor speed that the pro has?

Also, can you replace the storage on these easily? aka will I be able to replace the HDD with an SSD easily if i get the pro? will i be able to replace the 256 SSD with a 500SSD easily if i get the air?

Quote Originally Posted by isro1 View Post
    Hello,

I am new to Apple laptops and I have a short question...

I am not sure which one to buy between these two laptops:

Apple MacBook Air 13" 256GB
    1.6 Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    4 GB RAM
    256 SSD

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...-256gb/697045/

and

Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz
    2.5 Dual-Core i5
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...-2-5ghz/87407/

------------

Obviously I can see that the Air has better battery life (12 vs 7hr). Also I know 500 GB>256 GB.

What I do not know - will the difference in processor make the macbook pro a better choice or will the difference in SSD vs HDD make the Air a better choice? What I mean is will the SSD being faster compensate so much in speed that it will make up for benefit of extra space + processor speed that the pro has?

Also, can you replace the storage on these easily? aka will I be able to replace the HDD with an SSD easily if i get the pro? will i be able to replace the 256 SSD with a 500SSD easily if i get the air?

Ok. The Air is a more recent machine as the Pro has hit almost 3 years old.

This is how I see it.

- The Pro is upgradable - you can put in an SSD + more ram (Up to 16GB) for a relatively low price, where as the air has its 4GB soldered and the SDD is also not upgradable as far as I know.
    - The Pro is thicker and heavier - The air is very slim
    - The Pro has an optical drive if you use one (I do), and the air does not
    - Screen resolution on the pro slightly lower than the Air
    - Battery life in the Air is significantly better in the Pro.

According to geek bench, the Air actually benchmarks under the Pro, however I'm not sure that that reflects the difference between the newer HD graphics in the Air. So this may mean that the processor in the Pro is actually better than in the Air.

It all comes down to what you want. I personally think 4GB of ram is tiny for 2015 and will not really last that well. The Pro has the ability to upgrade the ram to something more suitable. I will however say that there is not point getting the pro unless you also buy an SSD -its just too slow with out it.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Thank you!

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Get a current macbook pro with retina. Or a Dell XPS 8GB RAM model if you want very light weight. The airs and the old pro you are looking at need screen upgrades to be seriously considered.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Get a current macbook pro with retina. Or a Dell XPS 8GB RAM model if you want very light weight. The airs and the old pro you are looking at need screen upgrades to be seriously considered.

Pletny of people don't need a retina display. They're nice but not essential for everyone.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Just a word on the Air - you can order them with up to 8GB of RAM - I got a reburished 11" from Apple with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD. But they aren't upgradeable, by the user anyway. And the SSD sure does make them faster and more responsive - I compare with my MBP 15" late 2010, which is a lot slower, but has 8GB of RAM and 1TB HDD, easily installed by me. You just gotta work out what you want to do with the computer. With the top of the range MBP Pro 13" with Retina, you can get optionally up to 16GB RAM and 512 or 1TB Flash storage - it will just cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I'm so glad the air doesn't have retina. I'm one of those people who won't even notice the visual difference but I sure do like all that saved battery power!