Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Is it possible to buy a new graphics card for my computer

I have a 24 inch silver iMac. The graphics card went out. Apple wants $800 for a new board. On eBay I spent $89 for a guy to reball it. That only lasted two weeks. Send it back to him and he did it again. I have a 24 inch silver iMac. The graphics card went out. Apple wants $800 for a new board. On eBay I spent $89 for a guy to reball it. That only lasted two weeks. Sent it back to him and he did it again. But I don't really have confidence that it'll last any length of time. Is there any place I can buy a new graphics card for it?

Sure you can buy them, do you have the confidence/ ability to be able to actually do it.

It's a pretty decent job and not something most would want to attempt, (having seen it done), def not for the layman.

How old is your mac, Apple had a replacement program running for a while, might pay to check if your able to claim a new 1 for free.

Not sure if it's still running though.??

Default Is it possible to buy a new graphics card for my computer

I went through the se crap with a 24" white iMac. Reballed Nvidia GPU only lasted 3 months. $300 wasted.

You can buy GPUs online but they cost the majority of a replacement iMac.
    eBay has them for $300+ usually for used parts, but you don't know their history.

Which GPU do you have? I'm going to assume 8800GS
    Something about Jimby.