Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default G5 wrong ram or dead mac?

Hello,
    I bought a G5 very cheaply off eBay, no hdd but everything else is there. It will not boot past initial hardware fault screen, even with a hdd installed. I opened up the case and discovered what may be the problem. It had pc2-4200 ddr-2 cl-4 memory installed, whereas info I can find states this model needs ddr400 pc3200 cl3 memory. Has the previous owner simply upgraded the memory to newer speed type memory, or have they installed the wrong memory type, hence my hardware fault screen?

Cheers, Gareth
    P.s it cost $26...... I know, buyer beware

Wrong memeory type to get rid of it by the sounds of things. Much will depend on the precise model G5, as they can be either PC-2700, PC-3200 or PC-4200. The latter is for late 2005 model Dual Core 2GHz, 2.3GHz and four core 2.5GHz only. The owner may simply have purchased the wrong type.

Always leery about buying any computer with no hard drive.

Given that DDR1 (which the G5 needs) and DDR2 (which is installed) are keyed differently I'm surprised that it fits in the first place. Hopefully nothing's been damaged.

Also, why be leery of buying a computer with no HDD? A lot of people pull the HDD from computers that they sell/give away/dispose of in order to prevent their data from falling into the wrong hands.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

The Late 2005 G5's used DDR2. Earlier models were all DDR1.

Could be the correct type. Will depend on the model you got. The late 2005's were the dual core models.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Thanks for the replies,
    I checked the serial number, and it is a late 2005 g5 and it has the right ram. I did not know the ram could change that much between the same model without becoming a new model.
    The one I bought recently for $75 runs very nice.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Gareth

Make sure the RAM is installed in the correct arrangement - I once picked up a G5 Quad where some sticks of RAM were pulled for another unit, which looked OK but made it inoperable.

Thanks for the tips,
    I was looking for obvious issues as to why the G5 I bought was starting up with a hardware fault. I did a little research and apparently I can take my HDD out of my healthy G5 and put it in the faulty one and see if that will fix the issue and boot normally.

I might save that for another day though. I just got my other G5 running sweet. no need to bugger it yet.

cheers, Gareth

And a lot of people save the HDD and memory when the unit is failing and not worth repairing.