Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default New bigger Flash drives (SSD) for new macs?

Hi all
    I am looking at buying a new 13" Macbook Air or Pro for the wife in the next week.
    I notice however the SSD sizes are pretty small (128/256/512).
    Can anyone please confirm that I cannot upgrade myself the SSD with something larger?
    I added a new 1TB samsung to my 2010 macPro a while ago and its great.
    I have asked the apple guys in store a few times and the answers are a bit vague or evasive.
    feedback appreciated.
    cheers

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyoz View Post
    Hi all
    I am looking at buying a new 13" Macbook Air or Pro for the wife in the next week.
    I notice however the SSD sizes are pretty small (128/256/512).
    Can anyone please confirm that I cannot upgrade myself the SSD with something larger?
    I added a new 1TB samsung to my 2010 macPro a while ago and its great.
    I have asked the apple guys in store a few times and the answers are a bit vague or evasive.
    feedback appreciated.
    cheers
    You can buy the 13" pro retina with a 1TB
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Yes but that is big bickies! Is it correct I csnt upgrade the new Mac air/pros ram of flash drives?

Yes but that is big bickies! Is it correct I csnt upgrade the new Mac air/pros ram of flash drives?
    The ram in both is soldered so you sadly can't replace it yourself. The flash drives are I believe theoretically replaceable in the Pro, BUT Apple uses a propriety connector and I don't think anyone actually sells upgrades, and if they did they'd be expensive.

The last upgradable Macbook, is the Mid 2012 Macbook Pro Non Retina. I bought one (long long story) in July of this year and upgraded the RAM and put an SSD in, and for my purposes its better than the retina and air.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Thanks. Yes that's what I thought. I went into an apple yesterday and The guy was trying to sell me a pro with only 128 Gb.
    I told him (although fast as its a flash drive) how very unimpressive the size was in relation to the cost for such a computer. While defensive at first he eventually said to me that yes he was seeing more and more people were leaving macs for the new Windows computers due to the cost and non upgradeable specs. He said they (the staff) do pass this feed back on but his management team tell them Apple is not interested in this feedback.
    Wow was all I could say.

Thanks. Yes that's what I thought. I went into an apple yesterday and The guy was trying to sell me a pro with only 128 Gb.
    I told him (although fast as its a flash drive) how very unimpressive the size was in relation to the cost for such a computer. While defensive at first he eventually said to me that yes he was seeing more and more people were leaving macs for the new Windows computers due to the cost and non upgradeable specs. He said they (the staff) do pass this feed back on but his management team tell them Apple is not interested in this feedback.
    Wow was all I could say.
    It now costs $2000 for a Macbook Pro with 128GB of SSD due to the exchange rate. Macs are just too expensive and people want more than 128GB of SSD. This is why the getting onto 3.5 year old Macbook Pro Non Retina remains popular, as it has 500GB of (slow) space.

When I bought my new 2012 Macbook Pro in July it ended up costing $1600 (I think) + $450 for a 1TB SDD, which got me an i7, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram (with 16 GB upgrade possibility for $190 ish). A i5, 1TB SSD, 16GB ram Retina Pro would have cost $3200 ish, compared with $2240 (factoring in the future ram upgrade) for the non retina pro.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    It now costs $2000 for a Macbook Pro with 128GB of SSD due to the exchange rate. Macs are just too expensive and people want more than 128GB of SSD. This is why the getting onto 3.5 year old Macbook Pro Non Retina remains popular, as it has 500GB of (slow) space.

When I bought my new 2012 Macbook Pro in July it ended up costing $1600 (I think) + $450 for a 1TB SDD, which got me an i7, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram (with 16 GB upgrade possibility for $190 ish). A i5, 1TB SSD, 16GB ram Retina Pro would have cost $3200 ish, compared with $2240 (factoring in the future ram upgrade) for the non retina pro.
    Yes Apple are pricing themselves out of the market and certainly aren't innovating any more. Minor updates but they still insist on only including a 5400 RPM drive by default in Macs and their SSDs as MAJORLY over priced - and lets not even start on the pricing of the iPad Pro.

Wow was all I could say.
    Very interesting but not overly surprising, Apple want to maintain their 'elite status' thus having higher than standard pricing for what are, for the most part, lower than specs other retailers will offer for essentially the same device.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    Very interesting but not overly surprising, Apple want to maintain their 'elite status' thus having higher than standard pricing for what are, for the most part, lower than specs other retailers will offer for essentially the same device.
    I find it interesting how so many Apple fans will go out of their way to justify it. They say "Of course its going to get more expensive if the exchange rate is bad". That is true, but Apple's margins are ridiculous. They have a ridiculous amount of cash, surely a slight margin reduction would pay off. Macs are used by a huge number of my fellow university students, but I don't see that continuing given how expensive it is. And honestly, even as a huge Apple fan, Windows is getting much better, and OSX seems to be on a backwards slide towards fast, poorly put together releases. Why pay over $1000 for a mac when you could get a cheap PC, which will obviously not be as good as a mac, but for say $300, who really cares?

The last upgradable Macbook, is the Mid 2012 Macbook Pro Non Retina. I bought one (long long story) in July of this year and upgraded the RAM and put an SSD in, and for my purposes its better than the retina and air.
    So there might be some resale value in my 2.3 Ghz i7 mid 2012 MacBook Pro which I have fitted with a 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM then?

(It has had the DVD ROM drive removed and replaced with a 1TB HDD and the DVD drive is in an external USB case - or will be when the case arrives in the new year)

\And honestly, even as a huge Apple fan, Windows is getting much better, and OSX seems to be on a backwards slide towards fast, poorly put together releases. Why pay over $1000 for a mac when you could get a cheap PC, which will obviously not be as good as a mac, but for say $300, who really cares?
    So very true and even assuming that the PC will have shorter life span that the Mac (which is not the case these days anyway in my experience) at less than 1/3 the price you can update to new hardware after 12-18 months anyway. I also agree that Windows has moved ahead in leaps and bounds, Windows 10 is very nice to use - I would rate it easier to use (and faster) than OS X El Capitan on exactly the same hardware.
    Last edited by MadKiwi; 30th December 2015 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    So very true and even assuming that the PC will have shorter life span that the Mac (which is not the case these days anyway in my experience) at less than 1/3 the price you can update to new hardware after 12-18 months anyway. I also agree that Windows has moved ahead in leaps and bounds, Windows 10 is very nice to use - I would rate it easier to use (and faster) than OS X El Capitain on exactly the same hardware.
    Windows 10 feels more fluid than OSX on the same device and also runs on Macs that Apple abandoned years ago.

My family bought a White Macbook for about $1800 in 2008. A couple of months earlier (in 2008) we bought a cheapie $350 Compaq Presario, essentially for me to do school work on as I needed Windows for multiple school programs. Guess what - in 2015, the Compaq Presario runs the last version of Windows quite nicely, even with the 2GB of ram and original HD. The Macbook has been unsupported by Apple since 2012, when Apple dropped support for it with Mountain Lion, leaving it stuck on 2011's Lion. Pretty poor given the Mac was nearly 5 times more expensive.

Back then OSX was far far far better than Windows. Windows 10 is the first version I'd say came close to the Mac, and in terms of stability, consistency and speed - it beats El Capitan (at least in my experience).

However it is things like Apple's trackpads, iMessage, iCloud amongst many other small things that keep me on a Mac. The number of reasons to stay with Apple seems to reduce with each year but at least at the moment, for myself there are enough.

Windows 10 feels more fluid than OSX on the same device and also runs on Macs that Apple abandoned years ago.

However it is things like Apple's trackpads, iMessage, iCloud amongst many other small things that keep me on a Mac. The number of reasons to stay with Apple seems to reduce with each year but at least at the moment, for myself there are enough.
    Totally agree regarding Windows 10 vs. OS X, that is certainly the case on my MacBook.

Of late I've been finding iMessage less than reliable so am currently looking for an alternative (Viber may be the best one I can find at the moment and has the rather large advantage that it is cross platform), I don't use iCloud due to the number of issues I've had with it in the past, but I do love the Apple trackpad and it works well with Windows 10 on my 2012 MacBook Pro.

You can try Samsung Portable SSD T3 2TB.