Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Best batteries for keyboard?

I'm sure there are all sorts of generally unknown factors that go into batteries and how they relate to the power usage of the Apple Wireless Keyboard. And I'm also sure that I don't know what those factors are.

Am I better off buying a 24 pack of ALDI AA's for $6? Or should I go the lithium rechargeable AA's? Duracell? Energiser MAX? What will last the longest and be the best value for money in the long run?

I use Sanyo eneloops. Get them when Dick Smith has them on sale.

For longevity use a trickle charger (overnight) to recharge them, not a fast charger (1. Hour to charge).
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by ThankDog View Post
    What will last the longest and be the best value for money in the long run?
    IMHO This:
    Apple Battery Charger

Do not find the Eneloops any better than cheapies. Have come to the decision Energizer Lithium Ultimates are the best for Keyboards, Trackpads and Mice.

I'd get a Mobee if I had a BT keyboard. I use one for my Magic Mouse and love it. Been using it for 3 years now
    http://store.apple.com/au/product/H4...le-magic-mouse

Heres the Battery Bar link
    Magic Bar by Mobee Technology - Apple Store (Australia)

Another vote for the Apple batteries. (which are essentially rebadged Eneloops) They last for ages.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

I've always used Eneloops. Just buy them when DickSmith have them on sale, just bought some Eneloop Pros 4AAs for $14ish.

Buy eneloop Pro Rechargable AA 4Pk | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

I find the Apple batteries good, but my Apple charger is dodgy - can't get it to charge two at once anymore and I have to wiggle the battery to get it to charge at all. PITA.

Hmm, $45 for the Apple charger. I'll have to find some cheaper than that as it's out of my price range.

See, glad I made this thread. I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'eneloop's.

Use the energizers and save up for the Mobee. Seriously, you won't regret it. I used to get so damned sick of changing batteries (rechargeable or not) so I really like having only to sit my mouse on a charging pad, the battery bar is a similar thing. Both run on USB power, no issue.

Looked at the Mobee Bar, but what is the point? If one needs to run a cable from the bar to a USB port, may as well used wired KB and Trackpad/mouse.

Again, Dick Smith is having sale on their Eneloops.

Eneloop Overnight Charger + 4 x AA - Buy Eneloop Overnight Charger + 4 x AA | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

Family Battery Pack (also comes with overnight charger) - Buy eneloop Family Battery Pack | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Looked at the Mobee Bar, but what is the point? If one needs to run a cable from the bar to a USB port, may as well used wired KB and Trackpad/mouse.
    The bar (or in my case the mouse charging pad) is only in use during the charge phase. I get about 5 days from a single charge for my Magic Mouse. I usually place the mouse on the charge pad overnight so I almost never find myself having to use an alternative. I would do the same with the keyboard bar. I dont know how the kb bar would work but sometimes if I find myself needing the mouse and its battery pack flat, I can put the energizer lithiums back in, and put *only* the battery pack on the charging pad. Best of both worlds. But I havent needed to do that for a very long time.

Our Products, The Magic Charge, Magic Feet, Power Bar, Apple Trackpad, Bluetooth Keyboard iPad, Magic Mouse Windows 7, Charging Pad, Mobee Technology
    Last edited by kyte; 21st May 2015 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by julee86 View Post
    Again, Dick Smith is having sale on their Eneloops.

Eneloop Overnight Charger + 4 x AA - Buy Eneloop Overnight Charger + 4 x AA | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

Family Battery Pack (also comes with overnight charger) - Buy eneloop Family Battery Pack | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping
    Bugger. Had to be a fortnight where I'm totally broke

Mobee magic bar hands down.. Still stops wires from a wired keyboard, the charging dock has a cable in it but you can hide that any where and then just every week or so slide the keyboard in it to charge it, I use it on my mouse and keyboard and it is incredible! love it!

Another vote for the Eneloops (or Apple Batteries) I've been using them for ages and they seem to last for ages.

Mind you I'm not a fan of the Apple bluetooth keyboard. For some reason I have no issues using the keyboard on my rMBP or the old MBA before it, but just can't get comfortable with the bluetooth version. For my desktop at home I ended up with the Apple USB keyboard with trackpad (which I'm very happy with) and my old trust Logitech G5. I don't often need to clear a space so the wired combo works just fine.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?