Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default mac PC equivalent of Windows Explorer

I hope this is the right place to post this message ....

I have only had my imac for a few days and before importing my folders / files from Windows I wanted to decide the best place to put them.

In Windows whenever I go looking for a file to use or want to instal anything I do it all from Explorer. Plus backups are done via Explorer.

I have my own personal Folder with about 8 major subfolders and dozens of subfolders and subfolders. I know the size and date of the last edit of the documentsetc (nothing is done via My Documents ... but a specific folder etc)

I asked the Apple salesman what's the iMac equivalent of Windows Explorer (the location of everything on the hard drives) and he said that there wasn't.

Is there an equivalent on my iMac desktop?

And where do partitions fit in with this? Especially if I want to put all my documents in a personal partition.......

Thanks

I would think Finder would be explorer.
    Backups with time machine.
    Partitions I wouldn't bother with, but you make them in disk utility. You will lose any data when repartitioning drive though.
    Something about Jimby.

leon is right. Finder is the Mac equivalent, but it doesn't work the same way. For a while when I first switched, I used Macintosh Explorer: Tabbed File Browser and File Manager For Mac OS X | Macintosh Explorer for Mac OS X which is no longer supported (works with Yosemite). They give you a free serial and its up to you if you want to keep using it.

All my backups are done with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both of these will do regular backups as well as cloning your main drive.

Don't bother with partitioning unless you have a big external drive (I use a 2TB divided into 2x1TB for Photography and Downloads) On the internal drive I keep documents in the Documents folder, my Calibre library in Dropbox along with a bunch of other stuff.

There are OSX equivalents for almost all Windows software. It may not be *precisely* the same but in many cases, its so close it doesnt matter.
    Last edited by kyte; 13th May 2015 at 07:28 PM.