Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iMac G3 Crashy Crash Crash

Hi all,

Seeking some sage wisdom and a potential diagnosis from someone wiser in the ways of a PPC G3,
    I have had an original G3 iMac for many many years, and being unable to sell it a couple of years ago I decided to
    run it at it's maximum capacity rather than send it to landfill. I remember purchasing some Panther discs and doing an upgrade,
    I also have some Tiger discs and a nasty feeling I may have tried that upgrade too...

Flash forward to a month or so ago, I have moved house and plugged it in for the first time in a couple of years. No chime,
    Black screen, no sign of booting at all. There is an audible high-pitch noise when connected to power. Power button illuminates when pressed, but quickly turns to Orange/Red.

I have done a bit of research and have narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities:

1. I have attempted a tiger install without upgrading the system firmware, rendering the system unable to boot.
    2. The high-pitch noise implies the death, or dying status of the power supply.

From what I understand, No#2 is the more likely scenario, and painfully difficult and dangerous to repair, and if it is scenario #1 I would have no idea how to recover the system.

Strangely, after trying to sell it for a few bucks for years, I'm now thinking about buying another one....

Any advice appreciated.

Any ideas?

I could have sworn I posted here...
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

With old iMac G3's it is usually the flyback transformer that dies rendering those machines as landfill as to fix it costs $200+ so not worth it. If it is not that you could try a logicboard and CUDA reset. A few pointers here...https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1039845

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Tiger installer would refuse to install on a PPC G3 <400MHz (only the last G3's >= 400MHz), so unless you attempted it by non standard means it's not likely be #1
    Pram battery 1/2 AA size will be dead too after no mains supply for a couple of years.
    But I suspect Stewie is on the money.....

I fire up my old G3 every couple of months, hoping the heat from a few hours running will keep corrosion at bay...
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Awesome! Thanks everyone. PRAM battery replacement was one of the first things I did.

But I'll try the other tricks and let you know how I go.

I'd rather go fish tank than landfill, but we'll see...

Anyone done anything interesting with a dead G3 before?

Power light is an indicator the power supply still works...
    Analog board is the first to blow & flyback is prone to arcing, if the iMac ever made a "snap, crackle & pop" while running chances are one of them were bad--analog board were prone to having capacitors fail from the heat build up & convection slot-loader iMac G3s weren't much better(knew a tech who worked at CompUSA and told me some of the horror stories or analog board meltdowns). CRT iMacs & eMacs are a lost cause at this age point, RoHS kicked in at 2002-2003 and many AppleCare "rebuilt/reflowed" parts are likely to contain RoHS solder work. (Apple supported tray-loader iMac G3s until 2004, G3 333mhz models were still sold until Spring 2000 by a few Apple dealers who were forced to buy them in block orders of fives)

Before you junk the iMac, if its a tray-loader(logicboard+HDD+CDROM slides out) you can re-mount the iMac guts in an mATX case and rewire an ATX power supply for a more compact/low-noise setup... if you're lazy, just buy a monitor adapter and run it with an external monitor if the power supply still works(iMacs will only do a boot chime if a working monitor is plugged in).
    at&t 3G speeds(Motorola Atrix): 2148 kbps down / 1483 kbps up
    Sprint WiMax Speeds(Motorola Photon): 9.1 mbps down / 1.8 mbps up
    "Every country has the government it deserves" -Joseph De Maistre

Ahhhh... do you think it may be a monitor issue?

I certainly don't remember any strange noises, and the caps all look to be intact (to the best of my understanding)
    I'm happy to keep tinkering, still holding on to any hope...

As long as you have power working try ordering a 15-pin mini D-Sub to VGA adapter on Amazon or fleabay, if the iMac boots with an external monitor you'll know the built-in monitor had died.

Capacitor degrade varies upon the environmental conditions it was run under so one *may* have failed/leaked over time, for example if you let the monitor sleep after >10-20 minutes under OS 8.x-9/X power settings chances are the analog board wasn't cooked at a faster rate of say an iMac G3/eMac being used during a work week(ex: 9am to 5pm) without display sleep. Dry vs humid air can shorten the life of electronics too (my old Palm TX died of slow salty air corrosion)
    at&t 3G speeds(Motorola Atrix): 2148 kbps down / 1483 kbps up
    Sprint WiMax Speeds(Motorola Photon): 9.1 mbps down / 1.8 mbps up
    "Every country has the government it deserves" -Joseph De Maistre

Suggest with all the possibilities, flyback transformer, CRT monitor, unable to install Tiger, it really is time for the fish tank route.