Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Angry MacBook Pro 15" 2008 iPhotos deleted

My Laptop was running very slowly . I was advised by my local Telstra rep that they could not do anything about it running slow. They could recommend a person , locally , who could help me . Long story short , he cleaned out about 3000+ photos . I sent my Laptop to Next Byte in Adelaide and they stated they could not get the missing photos back . I believed that everything that went into a computer was traceable and recoverable . Any advice please . I had intended to purchase a new 13" Air Book , but if my photos are gone forever , then I guess a new Mac is not warranted .

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo37 View Post
    My Laptop was running very slowly . I was advised by my local Telstra rep that they could not do anything about it running slow. They could recommend a person , locally , who could help me . Long story short , he cleaned out about 3000+ photos . I sent my Laptop to Next Byte in Adelaide and they stated they could not get the missing photos back . I believed that everything that went into a computer was traceable and recoverable . Any advice please . I had intended to purchase a new 13" Air Book , but if my photos are gone forever , then I guess a new Mac is not warranted .
    Hi Thommo37,

Sounds like the "local tech" wiped your install of OS X and installed a fresh version, deleting all your photos. Sometimes they are recoverable using "undelete" data recovery applications, that's assuming the new files did not overwrite the old ones on the same location on the hard disk. If it has, it will be considerably harder to retrieve these files and you will need to take your Macbook HD to a data recovery company, and have big pockets - this usually costs in the realm of thousands of dollars.

Data that you do not back up to to multiple locations (for example via USB, external hard disk, in the cloud) is data that you do not care about. It must be hard to know (most) of your photos are probably gone, but serves as a hard lesson to backup, backup, backup everything that is important. Overwritten data is not easily traceable and recoverable.

JB

Unfortunately I have to agree with Byrd, that data is most likely unrecoverable. Did you ever stick an external drive into it and agree to use it as a Time Machine drive? Or do you have a Time Capsule? or, did you sync any photos with iCloud or your phone?
    2012 15" MBP modded, 2010 13" MBP modded, 2006 Mac Mini modded, Color Classic, TiBook, Tangerine iBook and lots of other stuff!

+ For an undelete application.

I have used one successfully on my Mac when the Harddrive corrupted itself.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5