Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Mac Graphic Card Mac Pro 2008 need to buy

Anyone know where I can purchase an inexpensive graphic card to upgrade for the Mac Pro we have?

Currently we have a:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

Which doesn't cut it for Final Cut Pro X.

Budget?
    My understanding is ATI cards for FCPX.
    Can you fit dual 5770s?

If so hit up eBay for EFI flashed cards, or get some PC ones and flash them yourself.
    Something about Jimby.

. . . or don't even bother flashing the 5770. I just went a bought a second hand 5770 video card and slotted it into my MacPro 1,1 and it works sweet. As I just boot straight in to 10.7 it doesn't matter that I can't/won't see the login screen.

Quote Originally Posted by mmulhern View Post
    . . . or don't even bother flashing the 5770. I just went a bought a second hand 5770 video card and slotted it into my MacPro 1,1 and it works sweet. As I just boot straight in to 10.7 it doesn't matter that I can't/won't see the login screen.
    which brand (and which brand model?) as I did this with an nvidia 750ti and only (even after the web drivers) the VGA port worked (not the dvi/hdmi)

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Budget?
    My understanding is ATI cards for FCPX.
    Can you fit dual 5770s?

If so hit up eBay for EFI flashed cards, or get some PC ones and flash them yourself.
    I'd be happy to flash it myself

from what I know, it can be done with ATI cards as they have the room for the Apple's custom boot EFI

Quote Originally Posted by ruegen View Post
    I'd be happy to flash it myself

from what I know, it can be done with ATI cards as they have the room for the Apple's custom boot EFI
    Not too many 5770s around. Perhaps try and get a 7950 or 7970 to flash yourself, or try and find a genuine Sapphire 7950.

Macvidcards is sold out of these cards at the moment.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Not too many 5770s around. Perhaps try and get a 7950 or 7970 to flash yourself, or try and find a genuine Sapphire 7950.

Macvidcards is sold out of these cards at the moment.

Any idea as to where I can find the Mac rom file for the cards?

Netkas or macrumors forums
    Something about Jimby.

Will the 7950 mac edition from sapphire work with a 2008 mac?

Will the 7950 mac edition from sapphire work with a 2008 mac?
    Barefeats have had it working in the 2008.
    It just doesn't perform as well as the 2009 or 2010.

http://barefeats.com/gpu7950.html
    Something about Jimby.

which brand (and which brand model?) as I did this with an nvidia 750ti and only (even after the web drivers) the VGA port worked (not the dvi/hdmi)
    The card is a generic Asus PC display card and without doing anything other than upgrading from 10.6.8 to 10.7.5 the card works on both the VGA and DVI ports.

I just bought it second hand off eBay as it was a cheap upgrade at $40 (inc postage) compared to buying a pre-flashed 5770. Maybe I'll flash a Mac ROM onto it at some stage, but my next "project" is to update the MacPro's boot.efi and use SFOTT to update OSX.

It shows in SystemSettings as:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwznd7juy7...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by mmulhern; 1st May 2015 at 05:16 PM.

I've dropped a HIS 7950 ICEQ Turbo into my mac pro 3.1 last Wednesday, have been stress testing it for the last few days and it hasn't missed a beat, so yes an AMD 7950 will work fine in Yosemite.

I've got a GTX750 ti in my 2008 mac pro. After installing the NV web drivers, everything works fine (no boot screen, obviously). I use boot champ to get into windows (for some sweet planetside 2 goodness).

Note that for anything like using time machine restore or recovery partition, it will crash with any video cards that require a driver. Even if I used my original x2100 (or whatever that card is), if the GTX750 ti is present, I'd have issues booting.

I'm using the DVI port which is working fine. Haven't used other ports. Currently on 10.10.3. Had to use the original card to perform the OS update, then download enw drivers, the put GTX750 ti back in. A bit annoying and I'm likely to skip updates here and there. I wanted photos though and was sitting on 10.10.0. It's annoying the driver update can't be run before the OS update.

I guess this is the diver shit people complain about when speaking of windows. Personally, not a fan, but I can't argue with the performance enhancement of my 2008.