Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: SSHD's

Default SSHD's

Hi all,

First post here, Im looking into getting a SSHD (Solid Stat Hybrid Drive) for two macbook pros. Both 13 inch unibody's, one is early 2011 i5 and the other is mid 2010. Does anyone know of a website like "cruicial.com" for Australia that will allow me to filter by model?

Cheers

Any 9.5mm 2.5" SATA HD or SSD will fit a Macbook. If you don't use the optical drives, you also have the option of having a drive in the optical drive slot with the correct adapter/cage, for example a cheap 1TB mechanical drive + 256GB SSD is also a good solution (SSHDs really aren't that much faster than mechanical drives).

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    SSHDs really aren't that much faster than mechanical drives.
    Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't bother with an SSHD...

I'm quite happy with the SSHD I am using as a storage drive in my iMac at the moment. There is noticeable improvement in the speed of the VM's I run from it. It isn't huge, but it is faster.
    Also, SSHD's are not much more expensive than conventional HDD's, so it may be worth the little bit extra.
    Having said that, a Western Digital Black Series HDD will be almost as fast.

If I was looking for a laptop drive now, this is where I would go if I couldn't afford a straight SSD. WD BlackČ Dual Drive
    1TB Western Digital Black drive with built in 128gb SSD. All in the one unit. Perfect.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**