Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Clean my Mac

Default Clean my Mac

Hi folks, has anyone used cleanmymac and if so was it worth the money, and did it work O.K.. I will need to buy for 2 MacBook Air's. As I have one and my wife has one.

Thanks

I use Clean My Mac. I got it as part of a package bundle. I quite like it and found that it cleaned up quite a few things for me. It now runs in my Menu Bar.

The first time you run it you get some of your hard drive back, but realistically after the first run the further savings you get are not that large. I now really only get extra hard drive space back from Clean My Mac clearing up old iOS Updates and iOS Backups (but they are very easy to manage anyway).
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Thanks Changa, as you said, the first time you use it you get some room back and not much after that. But I suppose it might be useful to get rid of some files that you pickup as you surf the net.

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

I also bought it as part of a bundle. Then I got a free update to Clean My Mac 3. It is good, however I am finding pop-up notifications from the menu bar very annoying, and I cannot see a way to turn them off (already tried to change it in notifications settings). So to stop the notifications I have to quit the menu bar icon and run the software manually.

Quote Originally Posted by mick132 View Post
    I also bought it as part of a bundle. Then I got a free update to Clean My Mac 3. It is good, however I am finding pop-up notifications from the menu bar very annoying, and I cannot see a way to turn them off (already tried to change it in notifications settings). So to stop the notifications I have to quit the menu bar icon and run the software manually.
    How did you get the free update to Clean My Mac 3? I am still using Clean My Mac 2 as they only offered a 50% discount to upgrade. Is Clean My Mac 3 much better (besides the annoying pop ups?)
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Why do you feel you need this Navro?
    Macs (osx) do a very good job keeping things tidy, these types of apps can do more harm than good, seriously doubt you need to buy anything to keep your macs in order,waste of money and not necessary.

I use clean my mac 2 (also was not offered a free upgrade to 3, I guess I got mine too early to be allowed) but I never ever ever let it make decisions for me about what can go. I do it all manually (making choices that is). So.. caches can go, but I dont let it near my iPhoto library, I don't let it get rid of things I havent used for a year. Dammit, I might want them. I do let it uninstall things if I forgot to use AppCleaner, and it can empty the trash if it wants to. I only use it once every couple of months but it does give me a few GB back each time. I gather a lot of dross as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by lostom View Post
    Why do you feel you need this Navro?
    Macs (osx) do a very good job keeping things tidy, these types of apps can do more harm than good, seriously doubt you need to buy anything to keep your macs in order,waste of money and not necessary.
    I agree that Macs are pretty good at cleaning up after themselves, but I still managed to recover around 20GB the first time i used Clean My Mac. For example I did not realise that in iPhoto if you rotate a photo it keeps a copy of the original unrotated photo. That alone saved me a number of GB.

I also manually decided what things I wanted cleaned up and what to keep.

If you are short of HD space, then I think the investment is worth it.

Lane Cove North, New South Wales, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by changa View Post
    How did you get the free update to Clean My Mac 3? I am still using Clean My Mac 2 as they only offered a 50% discount to upgrade. Is Clean My Mac 3 much better (besides the annoying pop ups?)
    I bought the package only a couple of days before Clean My Mac 3 was released. It has a different interface and seems to do the job OK.

Quick question. I have CMM 2, and have found it good for cleaning out things like un-needed language files, etc. The iPhoto results have also been good in terms of getting rid of originals of rotated photos, etc. But one thing I noticed last time I used it is that it shows that photos taken on my iPhone in portrait orientation apparently appear in iPhoto as landscape format and then have been auto-rotated to portrait.

That seems really strange - it means each portrait shot takes up double the disk space, with an invisible "original" in the (wrong) landscape format. Very wasteful of space, and also something that just seems needless - I mean, the phone knows what orientation it was taken on, why would it record it as landscape format in the first place? It's so strange, that I wonder if it's really true or if it's something wrong with CMM2. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks every one, I don't think I will buy it, just keep a eye on what storage I have used. I was just getting pop up messages, so I will just ignore and keep carrying on.

take a look at onyx, possibly similar to cmm2, it's free and comes highly recommended.

Titanium Software - OnyX

Quote Originally Posted by changa View Post
    clean my mac is best

i think clean my mac is a paid software . Isnt it ?