Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Can I plug a windows laptop into my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)?

so that I can use the windows laptop with my imac's large screen?

It would be much more comfortable for me to be able to work on the larger screen but the software (MYOB) is PC.

An unusual proposal. Windows is going to want some sort of driver or utility to tell it what you plan to do. The Mac will need to expect a request to be accessed in a way that you would give permission for on the Mac side. I suspect the lappy, however connected, will be seen as some sort of intruder. You might try looking for some sort of remote access tool that knows Macs (and Windows). With that, I've got doubts that such a thing is possible. How do you propose to connect them? Over ethernet would be best and probably on a network managed by a router. Or try setting the Mac to Target Disk Mode although I am almost 100% certain that won't work

Why not simply obtain an external display for the laptop as that'd be far simpler. They can be had or under $150.
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

Default Can I plug a windows laptop into my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)?

Buy VMware fusion and run windows in a VM.
    Otherwise install boot camp on the iMac.

Not sure why you wouldn't just install it all on your iMac.

These days the VM software even allows you to migrate your entire PC into a VM.
    Something about Jimby.

Sounds complcated!

leon, the MYOB PC software is a cloud version that is purchased and subscribed to already. Updates are included. MYOB has numerous updates each year. If my client had to buy the Mac version (I have a Mac and so does he), unfortunately the cost of the software would be almost double the cost of buying a new PC plus a monthly 'Cover' fee to cover any updates. The Mac version is also not available 'LIVE' as the PC version is. MYOB don't tend to take Mac users as seriously as their PC users.

Thingme, the external monitor is something I'll look at.

I think we are going to have to go with a desktop PC and I will have to work from the client's office rather than my own office. The software you speak of leon, I've looked into and people seem to be having various issues. I do not have the time or inclination to be dealing with such issues.

Jayda, following leon's idea, VMware would allow you to run a windows desktop on your mac, including access to your windows-based MYOB online subscription. Using Bootcamp would allow you to boot up your Mac and run it as a PC, including access to same said software. VMware has the added advantage of being able to switch between desktops, whereas Bootcamp requires a reboot and selecting to use your Mac as a 'PC'.

Both require some setting up, but are easily accomplishable, and in a day and age where some software is still (for some reason?) PC only, it's not a bad idea to do it anyway.

Happ to provide further guidance as necessary