Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default apparently i no longer own an iphone

Just got off the phone with apple and would have to say am now a disgruntled user. Have had an iphone5 with intermittent power issues every 4-5 months. Have not thought much of it until last week the battery failed completely going from 100% to zero in 10-15minutes. Came back to brisbane and went to apple store to get it looked at. Was told that it was a serial number phone which had faulty batteries and the battery would be replaced. Did the diagnostics and said yes sir it is in the red square and we will replace that for you. They then asked if i had ever had the phone repaired. I said yes about 4 months ago i had the screen replaced.

"i am sorry sir but we only work on iphones. Because you have had the screen replaced it is no longer an iphone. You will have to pay to have the battery replaced."

now imagine my disgust to find that because i had had a repair done on my phone that it is no longer an iphone. Apparently it now doesn't have a defective battery as only iphones have the faulty apple batteries in them. The screen in no way affects the faulty battery.

So i rang apple support as this was clearly poor service. I was told that if i had a car and put a non genuine alternator in it I would void all warranty for the car. After explaining that this simply wasn't the case as the warranty would cover the whole car still unless the alternator caused the problem I was told i was misinformed and my car would no longer be the holden i bought. Wrong.

I would have accepted this if i said i used a non genuine charger to charge the battery then yes that may have damaged it. But my having a screen replaced when the phone was out of warranty doesnt mean i no longer have an iphone. It just goes to show how little customer support apple really have once the warranty is gone. At least the car manufacturer would have still replaced the defective part.

Ok enough ranting. I think i hear samsung calling on my non genuine ?phone. At least they fix their faulty bits when the warranty runs out.

chalk up another unhappy apple customer. Will have to decide over the next few days whether I continue to be an apple customer if thats what they call appropriate customer service

Quote Originally Posted by brentleediver View Post
    So i rang apple support as this was clearly poor service.
    I don't see that as poor service. You chose to use a non-Apple approved service centre so,

I'd contact ACCC and get their advice. Screen replacement should have no bearing on your battery.

It's like saying because you got windscreens obrien to replace your windscreen because of a stone chip that your car no longer has warranty.
    Apple is full of shit. I'd fight it.
    Something about Jimby.

I think you have a point. My understanding of the statutory warranty provisions of the Trade Practices Act is that a manufacturer or supplier cannot refuse warranty on the basis of some unrelated aspect. That is, the use of say a generic oil filter rather than an OEM oil filter in my car cannot be used as an excuse by the car supplier in the event my radio stops working. As I understand it, the onus is on the supplier (not the consumer) to show a relationship with the fault for which warranty coverage is sought and the non-compliant part or spare.

That said, Apple may have grounds because they have clearly stated that the phone can only be opened by a properly accredited repairer (which, in Apple's case, is only Apple)...and I think you'll find other phone makers can be as stringent in this regard.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Might be better to talk to your state's fair trade agency, rather than ACCC.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

That's strange, when I bought a brand new car within a week I changed/modified the suspension knowing very well that this would be the only part of the car if it ever was faulty I couldn't get any warranty claims and repairs. Everything else on the car would still be under warranty.
    Maybe electronics are under different law? Or the laws have changed??

Marcin

Apple will do everything to get out of servicing your device in my experience. When my Macbook's battery died, Apple blamed my 3rd party RAM replacement..... lol
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I've had some difficulty swallowing some of the tripe I've been fed of late. my late 2011 MBP A1297 is getting a screen replacement soon, I realized it's also suffering from the Graphics issue for which Apple is replacing the entire Logic board, Lock stock and barrel on these models.

So i Ring Apple support furnish them with the question and supporting evidence to be told that the screen is the problem and before anything can be considered elsewhere on the laptop the screen shall have to be rectified by apple techs forthwith and after much prompting i was told that there was nothing more to discuss.

astounded is one thing i would say.

nonetheless irrelevant to your case. I'd suggest Documenting all Visits and Communication with Apple or their Staff, the Fault with the Phone, It's model, Serial Number, Battery Replacement Program high light that apple has already acknowledged explicitly that this unit is within the range of units with defective batteries and that it would be replaced free of charge.

then also make sure you have a copy of Australian Consumer Law 2011 handy. then also chuck in a exchange with both the state fair trading office and a draft copy of a Complaint to the ACCC Link to intro of ACL and make another appointment at the Genius Bar. Furnish them with this documentation, explain your position Clearly and accurately in a plain and level manner and make it clear that unless a satisfactory outcome is had within a reasonable time frame (in this repair program i have seen some phones replaced outright as the queue for repairs was to long) you will be submitting formal Complaints to Apple, the ACCC, your state Fair Trade Ombudsman and possibly even a blogging about it.

Apple is notorious for this kind of behavior the world over. the difference in Australia being the Australian Consumer Law. I suggest you have a watch of the Checkout. in fact check this YouTube video about .
    Last edited by AfterBurner_1; 13th April 2015 at 01:46 AM.
    PC l 980X l 24GB l 8TB l GTX590 l 7 Ult x64 l Corsair CC750D
    Server l E3-1245v3 l 32GB l 20TB l Fedora 21 LVM ZFS RaidZ2
    Burning 'Book l 17" A1297 l 2860QM l 6770M 1GB l 2.25TB l Antiglare

I think you're being particularly harsh in your complaint here. I think you'd find that most other organisations would be as reluctant to do anything different.

And because you have done something outside of the certified Apple support chain I think you're going to have to be more persistent or give up on the fact that you will get it repaired.

Besides how do you know that the new screen isn't the cause of the fault with the new battery? whats not to say that the new non genuine (I assume that is what it is as you only imply that) doesn't have some kind of defective electrical connection that has caused the premature failure of your battery?

I've spent my share of time dealing with the Apple support people over a Retina Macbook Pro that was clearly faulty for a variety of reasons, but nothing ever showed up in diagnostics. Ever. But over a period of twelve months I had almost every component replaced which didn't fix the problem, but not once did I get angry at them. In the end they replaced it. But reasonably so they had to go through the process of testing everything because they couldn't prove what the fault was.

So in the same vein unless you/or they can prove that it wasn't the new screen that caused the problem. Granted being in the list of faulty battery phones they probably should do it.

Perhaps as I say you should try and be a little more persistent. You may find someone who is more lenient than the people you have dealt with so far.
    This is a signature

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I tend to agree with the above comment. Although seemingly unrelated, the screen draws battery power and a faulty screen could cause the battery to fail prematurely so I think that Apple are fully within their rights to decline this. I don't think it's fair to draw a comparison to a car windscreen, because a car windscreen doesn't use full in the same way that a screen draws battery. It may not be as a result of the screen, but the reality is that it also could be as a result of the screen and Apple have no way of knowing this. They could invest time in replacing the battery only to have it fail in 3 months time due to a faulty screen and there would be no way to make you pay for the previous battery if they later discover it's a battery fault.

Apple is very clear in their policy about warranties and the use of non-certified repairers. I'm guessing that you would have known that the use of a third party center would have ended your warranty and it's a risk you would have taken knowing the potential implications.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Under the ACL, it is incumbent on Apple to prove the screen is responsible for the battery failure in order for them not to honor their warranty.

It would likely also help to get the ball rolling by asking how much it is to replace the screen again with 'genuine' Apple parts at the same time and then ask if it were to be done, would your phone then be considered as an iPhone again?
    PC l 980X l 24GB l 8TB l GTX590 l 7 Ult x64 l Corsair CC750D
    Server l E3-1245v3 l 32GB l 20TB l Fedora 21 LVM ZFS RaidZ2
    Burning 'Book l 17" A1297 l 2860QM l 6770M 1GB l 2.25TB l Antiglare