Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Cool Third Party Straps/ Bands for the Apple Watch

Sooner or later, this thread will be needed - might as well start now.

My current strategy is buy the cheapest Apple Watch, and then put on third party metal straps.

I've found the following leads for 3rd party straps.

Click - Watch Band Adapter that allows you to use normal straps (kickstarter - I've actually supported this):
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or-apple-watch

Monowear - Third party nylon, leather and metal straps (kickstarter)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...every-occasion

Reserve Strap - A strap with a battery and charger built-in
    Reserve Strap

And some non-metal ones on Amazon or eBay:

ULAK:
    Amazon.com: Apple Watch Strap, ULAK Bracelet Wrist Watch Band 38mm Real Geniue Leather Canvas Wristbands Replacement Wrist Band with Chrome Stainless Burnished Buckle Clip For Apple Watch&Apple Watch Edition 2015 Release (Black): Cell Phones & Access

BaseUS:
    Amazon.com: [AERB Edition] Baseus iWatch Genuine Leather Replacement Strap Wrist Band Straps for Apple Watch 42mm Classic Buckle & Modern Buckle: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hi5Gadget:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5K5IHX6FTI4DYA

I'm sure more will come with time - anyone know of anything else?
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

It would be good to see how the different watch bands actually look.

I pretty much exclusively only wear Stainless Steel watch bands. For this Apple Watch, I ended up getting the Black Sport band (as it was cheaper and shipped faster), but was probably going to get the Stainless Steel band as well.

The problem with looking at bands on the internet is you can't get a feel for them. There are lots of very average Stainless Steel bands around (just think about the Stainless Steel watch bands which come on the cheaper stainless steel watches).

Perhaps the thread can be extended to Apple Watch accessories as I have seen some nice charging docks around. I ended up purchasing a charging dock as it seemed more elegant than having yet another device sitting on my bedside table. As it is, my bedside is pretty crowded as it holds my kindle, iPad, iPhone and a clock.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Can anyone tell me if i bought a Sports watch, can I buy a Milanese Loop and use on it? I have heard 2 different stories :/
    An Apple a day goes a long long way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VALANDI View Post
    Can anyone tell me if i bought a Sports watch, can I buy a Milanese Loop and use on it? I have heard 2 different stories :/
    A quick google search says yes

Here's what the Apple Watch Sport looks like with a Milanese Loop | iMore
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

Quote Originally Posted by VALANDI View Post
    I actually got them at my try on last night to put the milanese loop on a black sports watch, so does fit and swap out OK.
    It didn't look that bad, but would prefer if someone made a black Milanese loop.
    Macbook Pro 2011;iPad2 32gb;ATV 2 x 3
    Mac Mini 2009; Macbook Air 2012: iPhone 5s 16gb

A new Indiegogo campaign:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...or-apple-watch

Similar to the Click.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Ok, here's my current setup:

AppleWatch Sport with a Spigen gold cover and a cheap eBay steel/gold band from China.

Yes. It's chunky. But I like chunky watches.
    36 Trades

The Click adaptor would be brilliant and open up a whole world of possibilities, although given the quick change nature of the Apple design, I think it will only appeal to people who want something *very* specific. There will be a whole range of 3rd party options to suit all tastes.

That reserve band though, ... that has me wondering a little bit about induction charging and how it *could* work.

How much space does an induction charger need on both the sender and receiver side? How close to things need to be? How much movement is allowed?

Call me crazy, but if you can build in the connector for the strap to pass power to the watch, could you build nothing more than the induction charger into the strap then have charging stations in multiple places throughout your day??

What I'm wondering is could you have a stick on induction charger thing on your palm rest that would pass power to your watch as you typed?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Default Third Party Straps/ Bands for the Apple Watch

I'm still waiting for the Click Kickstarter to ship but they are too late - on eBay now there is an excess of different watch band adapters for the apple watch some of which are based on the pin and others on a mini screw. I've already got a few third party adapters and bands. Just got a vintage steel band actually in anticipation as well as leather bands.
    36 Trades

I backed the Click adapter, too...waaaay too late as they faffed around