Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cute little bird. Don't love the advertising overlay. Back to the computer and an ad blocker (which is what you get, Niche, when its all overdone!!)

[edit] Ahhhh, thats better. I can see the photo properly! And note that what I was seeing on the iPad, was a squashed up photo. Guess I won't be playing in mactalk on the ipad anymore.

Our chooks were moulting a few weeks ago. She was a little embarrassed by the whole ordeal.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

When it comes to kids and the beach, this is probably the dumbest thing you can do. Giving them possession of a full frame camera and lens is probably high on the list of things you will probably only do once. I can only imagine what would have happened if it when top side up, but at the time it seemed like a good idea. Damn adverts squash the pictures up though

http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

They look good MM. But will look better after I post this to get rid of the (now invisible) advert [thanks ad-blocker] that squishes all the images.

Niche - Put the damn ad either at the top or bottom of the post. Not on the side. Your stuffing up the experience.

Edit - Yep that's much better

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

I have had adblockers ever since safari had extensions. I freak out a bit when I view some sites on the ipad or another computer...

Anyhow.
    I am still getting used to focusing in manual. But gee focus peaking is brilliant. So are $400 f/1.2 55mm lenses!

This is with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 @1.4. I also accidentally had the camera on APS-C mode accidentally. You only do that once.

....... ad remover.....

Quote Originally Posted by scottgrot View Post
    I have had adblockers ever since safari had extensions. I freak out a bit when I view some sites on the ipad or another computer...

Anyhow.
    I am still getting used to focusing in manual. But gee focus peaking is brilliant. So are $400 f/1.2 55mm lenses!

This is with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 @1.4. I also accidentally had the camera on APS-C mode accidentally. You only do that once.
    You must be quick at manual focus. I find I miss a lot of shots with manual lenses/focus so I only use it for static images or something moving slowly. I once managed to get a dragonfly in flight with a manual 55mm lens but the shot needed a lot of massaging to make it even slightly respectable. Hilariously, I've never managed a dragonfly shot any other way!!

Dragonfly in Flight by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

....ad remover.....

Edit: nice shot Sue.

Thanks, swoffa Uhm... whats this ...ad remover... thing?

Also, I've been explored on flickr. Amazing. Been on there for years and no interest and then suddenly 3 since March. Most interestingly, only the last was shot with a DSLR, and that was an old second hand Pentax K200D with one of those Tamron 70-300mm lenses (which I really like, but which is roundly panned by most "real" photographers). The other two... tiny sensor cams

In reverse order:

Industry in the Fog by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

Stormy by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

Moon over the River by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

**** ad remover***
    The latest post in the thread gets affected by the auto-ad that's placed, and the resultant squished images don't look their best. So I posted some txt and the advert goes to that post freeing up the images to be all they can be (at max 800 width of course )

Nice that people are enjoying your images.

Thanks

So is it the last post in the thread or the last on a page, because if you go back a page you can see an ad, plus image which is half hidden. Well, I can, on the iPad. I wonder if it applies to the last post on a page, and the trick is never to post without text... Its all a PITA. Banners top and bottom I can cope with. The rest is just crap that spoils the user experience (as it were).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

just wanted to say that of you want a really good forum dedicated to photography, its worth taking a look at ausphotography. been on there for the last little while and really enjoying it.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

I had been an ausphotography member for ages but dropped it (I still havent been purged though). I was quite taken aback at some very rude PMs I got from one of the moderators in response to a post I made (and which he deleted). The post was not offensive, just stating a fact of life in relation to a particular website under discussion. I found his action to be completely out of line. I also found that some of the denizens are too precious for words. That forum is not for me. I like the more relaxed nature of Photographers Lounge. Nobody takes themselves too seriously.

One from yesterday morning. It was barkin' cold!

Shots in the fog by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

I have the ad blockers on, and they do a good job of not displaying the ads but the "placeholders" (though not visible) still squish up the images. Near as I can work out( on the machines I use) it's just the last post in a thread. I only really notice it in this thread as other ones are just text and not really impacted.

There has been some wonderful photographers in this thread in the past, sad to see that the posters have twindled in number.

I couldn't warm to ausphotography. Been a regular voyeur at POTN for a number of years now. My lord there are some talented hobbyists in there. Will pop into the lounge for a cuppa and look see as well.

Oh and Sue.....you don't know real cold.

Quote Originally Posted by swoffa View Post
    I have the ad blockers on, and they do a good job of not displaying the ads but the "placeholders" (though not visible) still squish up the images. Near as I can work out( on the machines I use) it's just the last post in a thread. I only really notice it in this thread as other ones are just text and not really impacted.

There has been some wonderful photographers in this thread in the past, sad to see that the posters have twindled in number.

I couldn't warm to ausphotography. Been a regular voyeur at POTN for a number of years now. My lord there are some talented hobbyists in there. Will pop into the lounge for a cuppa and look see as well.

Oh and Sue.....you don't know real cold.
    Oh yes I do. I lived through a Rhode Island and Massachusetts winter, complete with blizzards. :P I know its not THAT cold here but this winter has been a lot colder than any I have experienced since I was a kid and teen in Wagga.

Oh yeah, ad blockers. I think I have resolved my issue for the ipad. Theres an app called WeBlock and I tried it a few times, it wasnt very good and I had ignored it for ages. reinstalled a couple of days ago et voila, no more ads in safari. PLace holders as per your remark, but no visible ads.

I felt like I was treated like a dimwit on ausphotography when I asked a question in relation to studio lights. Mostly, why would you want to do that? And nobody really answered my question. It was ages ago now. Perhaps it is time to move on and try again?

Anyhow, I took some photos of a girl with a broken leg yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by swoffa View Post
    I couldn't warm to ausphotography. Been a regular voyeur at POTN for a number of years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottgrot View Post
    I felt like I was treated like a dimwit on ausphotography when I asked a question in relation to studio lights. Mostly, why would you want to do that? And nobody really answered my question. It was ages ago now. Perhaps it is time to move on and try again?
    I tried hard to like Ausphotography, but I saw a number of perfectly reasonable posts get nastily clobbered by the owner, who seems convinced that his own site rules are only applicable to users he likes. I wrote to him privately about a couple of things he or his mods did that clearly went against forum rules and his response was basically that it was his site and he could do whatever he wanted. Fair enough at some level - he pays for it, it's not a democracy - but he should at least be honest about the fact that it's a none too benevolent dictatorship where the stated rules are only used to protect those in favour. He comes across as very mean spirited at times and I found the regular monstering of innocents a bit much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2