Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 12-Inch Retina MacBook

After a lot of rumours we got our first look at the new 12-inch Retina MacBook at the Spring Forward event early this morning.

It weighs just two pounds and is 13.1 mm thin. The new MacBook features a stunning 12-inch Retina® display that is the thinnest ever on a Mac, an Apple-designed full-size keyboard which is dramatically thinner and highly responsive, the all-new Force Touch trackpad that brings a new dimension of interactivity to the Mac, an incredibly compact USB-C port for data transfer, video out and charging in a single connector, and a new battery design that maximizes every millimeter of space to deliver all-day battery life. And, for the first time, MacBook is available in three gorgeous aluminum finishes—gold, silver and space gray.

MacBook comes with a 1.1 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.4 GHz, 8GB of memory, 256GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1,299 (US); and with a 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.6GHz, 8GB of memory, 512GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1799.

So what do we think, from the video it sure looks like a sexy beast. Though you have to wonder is the quest for thin going to far and is the machine powerful enough at that starting price?

An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Wellllllll

I do appreciate that it is an amazing feat of engineering.

I don't think I'm objected to it as a sole machine, rather what ideas Apple will apply to the rest of the line from it - EG No MagSafe, no ports etc.

The Macbook could serve well for someone who needs a machine on the road, but not a main machine - someone who the iPad form factor appeals to, but wants OSX.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I've bought several MacBook Pros (for use around home and at work) and several Macbook Airs (for use around home and when travelling) but I won't be buying this new 12 inch MacBook Air because when it's on charge it's got zero ports and zero ports is one too few!
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    I've bought several MacBook Pros (for use around home and at work) and several Macbook Airs (for use around home and when travelling) but I won't be buying this new 12 inch MacBook Air because when it's on charge it's got zero ports and zero ports is one too few!
    I'd be pretty confident that through the use of a USB Type C hub of some sort you'd be able to charge and use other devices at the same time.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Store (Australia)

Only $119.00

Quote Originally Posted by MadKiwi View Post
    I'd be pretty confident that through the use of a USB Type C hub of some sort you'd be able to charge and use other devices at the same time.
    Thats not the point though... you buy a laptop because its all in one. Not to take stupid adaptors around with you.

Obviously the machine is not made for people like me... :P
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by ajbeardy View Post
    I don't see how that allows me to charge the new MacBook air while using a device at the same time?
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

I don't see how that allows me to charge the new MacBook air while using a device at the same time?
    Because this macbook will charge via USB type C. Adding the adapter will give you a port for charging and for video (HDMI) and another device (USB 3).
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

Is no one else bothered by the lack of MagSafe? Its saved my Macbook more time than I can count. Given how light this new Macbook is I can see a lot of accidents

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.
    Ahhh so I can connect my 4G dongle to the USB3 port and the USB-C charge cable to the USB-C port is what you're saying?

See Geoff, and then your MacBook is so thin you won't be able to see it behind all those extra cables and the adapter
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Is no one else bothered by the lack of MagSafe? Its saved my Macbook more time than I can count. Given how light this new Macbook is I can see a lot of accidents
    Nope, you are looking at something with 9-10 hours of battery life. It is not as though it is going to be plugged into power all day.

Ahhh so I can connect my 4G dongle to the USB3 port and the USB-C charge cable to the USB-C port is what you're saying?
    Yep, that's exactly what the adapter does.

All be need now is a third party to release an all in one power adapter with built in USB hub (HDMI/DVI being a bonus).
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Nope, you are looking at something with 9-10 hours of battery life. It is not as though it is going to be plugged into power all day.
    Actually that's pretty much how I use my MacBook Air now, plugged in 24/7.

The only times they're unplugged are when I go out (or away from the hotel room if I'm away for work).

Its still got to charge at some stage. And Sometimes you don't want to run the battery down quick doing intensive tasks - or you want to preserve battery life... My Macbook gets around 7 hours of battery life, and I have mine plugged in fairly regularly. I ruined an iBook charger (and dented the laptop itself) tripping over the charger cable not too long ago.

Lack of Magsafe is just such a backwards idea.

I see the 12" Retina MacBook cannibalising the MacBook Air range. Which of the Air models will persist? I also see it cannibalising sales of the proposed 12" iPad which has been sent to the delayed-and-perhaps-never-to-appear box.

— Peter
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hmmm.... don't like the loss of magsafe. 2 USB ports are necessary as I use external drives for lots of stuff, including my phone and ipad backups. I wonder what my workplace will think of this - we roll out 400 new macbooks every year. Currently we're using the 13 inch macbook air.
    Sophie

External drives have never really been an issue for me because I either dump stuff to the NAS at work or the NAS at home or to Dropbox.

I guess it sounds like Apple don't really care.
    It's all about lightness and thin.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast