Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Well, all the current models, and the refurbs, are well out of my price range now, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2010 model white macbook. It will need a ram upgrade and maybe a HD upgrade but for $463 after a 10% discount, I'm happy. Its still supported and will run Yosemite, so its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Well, all the current models, and the refurbs, are well out of my price range now, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2010 model white macbook. It will need a ram upgrade and maybe a HD upgrade but for $463 after a 10% discount, I'm happy. Its still supported and will run Yosemite, so its all good.
    I have a family member on one of these with an SSD and it runs really really well. If you have the choice, go with 2GB of ram and a SSD (You can get a 256 GB Crucial drive off amazon for about $140), over 4/8GB of ram and a mechanical hard drive because I tried both on a 2008 Macbook Aluminium and the SSD made a much bigger difference.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I have a family member on one of these with an SSD and it runs really really well. If you have the choice, go with 2GB of ram and a SSD (You can get a 256 GB Crucial drive off amazon for about $140), over 4/8GB of ram and a mechanical hard drive because I tried both on a 2008 Macbook Aluminium and the SSD made a much bigger difference.
    Yes, I'm very familiar with the advantages of more RAM and faster hard drives, this will be my 6th Apple computer (or is it the 7th... no matter)... the upgrades I perform will be entirely dependent on the financial challenges of the time. Eg just after I hit the buy button, I heard the electricity guy at the meter on the other side of the study wall... so theres that (and it will be huge) to look forward to, before any upgrades. However at this point I am planning on 500GB SSD and 8GB. I upgraded my mini to 16GB but I feel like thats overkill for my needs, now its in.

Can you pull one of the 8gb chips from the mini and put it in the laptop?
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Can you pull one of the 8gb chips from the mini and put it in the laptop?
    Not sure that would work - I think they like symmetrical amounts of RAM. Also the RAM in the Mini would not be the same spec as the Macbook.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Yes, I'm very familiar with the advantages of more RAM and faster hard drives, this will be my 6th Apple computer (or is it the 7th... no matter)... the upgrades I perform will be entirely dependent on the financial challenges of the time. Eg just after I hit the buy button, I heard the electricity guy at the meter on the other side of the study wall... so theres that (and it will be huge) to look forward to, before any upgrades. However at this point I am planning on 500GB SSD and 8GB. I upgraded my mini to 16GB but I feel like thats overkill for my needs, now its in.
    I know you're very Mac experienced, I was just advocating my recent discoveries of the benefit of SSDs over more RAM. Conventional knowledge (or what I was taught) was more RAM is the way to go, and certainly a few years ago it was better value for money (When SSDs were expensive), but now it seems the best price/performance ratio is to get an SSD and leave the RAM alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Not sure that would work - I think they like symmetrical amounts of RAM. Also the RAM in the Mini would not be the same spec as the Macbook.
    Exactly. I'll have to buy new, but thats OK, no rush.

Exactly. I'll have to buy new, but thats OK, no rush.
    Just year is the mini? I thought all new ones were DDR3, similar to 2010 Macbook.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Just year is the mini? I thought all new ones were DDR3, similar to 2010 Macbook.
    TBH I really don't know for sure. I'll check in the usual places (Ramcity, Macfixit) and then buy. Given that it isnt going to be my main machine, I'll likely go with Oldmacs suggestion anyway, and do SSD first. A scan on the ifixit site seems to suggest its an easier job than it would be on my Mini. Once thats done, I can then send the mini to someone who knows what they are doing and get it done as well. SSD all round About the RAM, I think it does need to be symmetrical, not sure at all if I could share the modules out and have one in each. I think for the Macbook I would need 2x4 or 2x2 depending on the decision I make.

But we are now straying so far off topic, its ridiculous.

I was thinking more about that new 12" macbook and decided that even if I could afford it... it would not be my first choice, not with only one port. I think Apple has gone way too far with its small and sexy stuff. The thing that worries me now is that they will follow suit next year with all their other notebooks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3