Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Between a rock and a hard place...

Hi All

I'm sure i'm not alone so thought i'd throw it out there and see what everybody else thinks....

As Apple Watch launch is getting closer, the reality of purchasing one is starting to become something I'm struggling with. When watching the keynote originally I was blown away by the simplicity and the integration into my other devices was awesome and it became a must purchase for me (I've always been an early adopter, purchased the original iPad on launch day when others were wondering what you'd ever do with an iPad, have always had iPhones etc).

Problem i've got though, is I've got a soft spot for swiss watches, owning a few already and with a Hublot and Mont Blanc on my wish list... I'm not sure I am ready to part with my Swiss Watches in lieu of what will no doubt become a fantastic productivity tool.

What are you all planning on doing? Ditching those swiss watches or going to stay with them and not worry about the Apple Watch?
    James from Perth W.A (Wait Awhile)

I'm planning on watching (hahaha) and waiting for the 2nd or 3rd one - just like I did with the iPad - and considering I'm still rocking the iPad 2 I waited for, I think its a good thing to do.

Battery life is the main issue for me.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I think your solution is to buy the gold case iWatch
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Being an 'early adopter' (as am I..) there is no real choice is there?

I plan on purchasing one and trying it for a month to see how it integrates into my life. Then I'll decide whether to hold onto it or not.
    --------------------
    macbook pro, mirror door g4, ipod shuffle, ipod 5g
    passion: music

I'll get one. If I like, I'll use it, if I don't, I'll flip it..and I won't be out of pocket very much for the experience.

This has worked for me with all Apple products since 1984

My wife wants one so I will get the chance to play with it before I decide if I want one too.

The rational part of me says I shouldn't bother since my phone is on my desk and easy accessible all day anyway so it's not like I'm missing anything... and more importantly I haven't worn a watch in years and when I tried again recently I realised I was mostly just checking the time on the phone or computer anyway and only the watch when I went out of my way to do that. It also sort of bothered me having something on my wrist and using a laptop as it tended to scrape at the palm rest.

I also have one of these pocket watches which does away with the wrist issues, but I still didn't check it too much
    Pocket Watches: Touch Screen LCD Pocket Watch: Dual Time, Date, Alarm. Kisai Rogue Touch.

So I love the concept, but it's likely not something for me...

.... he says before it's available. There is still a good chance I buy one anyway... you know... to support the industry... yeah... that.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

My watch actually broke just before September and I have been waiting ever since. I hate not wearing a watch feels wrong.

I'm so excited for the Apple Watch. Just like the iPhone and iPad before it. I will buy it the moment I can get my hands on it and show everyone I can haha.
     iPhone 6,  iPad Air 2,  27" iMac,  Watch

My watch broke in 2009, and I've pretty much just used the phone or computer since then. I recently bought a Fitbit Charge to replace the Flex I had, because I wanted to be able to see the time on my wrist. Guess what. Never look at it. The money wasnt exactly wasted but given thats why I bought it... hrrrrrm. Guess Apple watch is not really something I'll use. If it had a sleep tracker, I might. But as far as I know it doesnt. I'll wait to see if any of the sleep tracker people create an app for the watch, then I'll reconsider. IN the meantime the Charge does what its supposed to.

The prices have been announced.
    Rather get a Pebble 2 Steel, with change to spare than an Apple Watch.

Last edited by gbuikstra; 10th March 2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Posted twice

I had the Apple watch I wanted all picked out and was going to buy it, but at close to $1500 I'm now seriously questioning needing one. Spending this sort of money on something that will be out of date in a couple of years makes it hard to justify.

Does anyone think $679 for the band alone is a rich?

I may yet talk myself into Stainless steel version with the sports band at $879. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gbuikstra View Post
    I had the Apple watch I wanted all picked out and was going to buy it, but at close to $1500 I'm now seriously questioning needing one. Spending this sort of money on something that will be out of date in a couple of years makes it hard to justify.

Does anyone think $679 for the band alone is a rich?

I may yet talk myself into Stainless steel version with the sports band at $879. :-)
    But don't you own an iPhone and an iPad? Whilst not quite $1500, they are still $1000 devices which are out of date in a couple of years too. The Apple Watch might get outdated in a few years, but will still be functional (just like older iPhones and iPads).

To be honest the prices which were released are actually cheaper than what I was expecting. I thought the stainless steel version would be $2000. Whilst $679 for a band does seem expensive, it is not really when you compare it to other premium watch bands. A replacement stainless steel watch band for my Tag Heuer is around $950.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by changa View Post
    But don't you own an iPhone and an iPad? Whilst not quite $1500, they are still $1000 devices which are out of date in a couple of years too. The Apple Watch might get outdated in a few years, but will still be functional (just like older iPhones and iPads).

To be honest the prices which were released are actually cheaper than what I was expecting. I thought the stainless steel version would be $2000. Whilst $679 for a band does seem expensive, it is not really when you compare it to other premium watch bands. A replacement stainless steel watch band for my Tag Heuer is around $950.

Thanks Changa,

I have a Rado with a ceramic band, I suppose its not cheap either. I had just never thought about the band cost as a separate item before and it surprised me.

There were guesstimates of the stainless steel version coming in at around US$550 so the A$879 is close to that. Its just not with the band I thought it would include.

Quote Originally Posted by gbuikstra View Post
    Thanks Changa,

I have a Rado with a ceramic band, I suppose its not cheap either. I had just never thought about the band cost as a separate item before and it surprised me.

There were guesstimates of the stainless steel version coming in at around US$550 so the A$879 is close to that. Its just not with the band I thought it would include.
    When you see the watch band price as a separate item it can be bit daunting, but if you look at the watch as a package it is not that bad. I have never owned a watch where you can interchange the watch band so have always looked at the total cost of a watch.

I will probably end up buying an Apple Watch, but am not sure if I would wear it everyday. I really like my current watch (have owned it for 20 years) and I like the fact that it is waterproof (as I wear it when I go swimming). For me, the Apple Watch would be more compelling if it was waterproof rather than just water resistant.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

OP, I have the same issue. I'm currently wearing my grandfather's original mechanical windup watch from the 50's, but own other mechanical ones as well, and I'm really into nice vintage watches. But I am also an early adopter. The dilemma!
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

I would have liked the black stainless steel model with just a leather band, but it seems that model only comes with the outrageously expensive matching bracelet.

I'll probably opt for the dark aluminium sports model instead, but I find Apple's pricing strategy curious...drawn straight from the Gordon Gecko playbook, methinks. Oh, well....PT Barnum is proven correct, once again....(sigh!)

The prices are somewhat (quite a bit) higher than I'd expected to be honest.

I'd been reading web sites that suggested that the sports version would be around the $350 mark (and it's $500) and that the stainless version (which is what I'm interested in) would be around $700 to $800 (which it starts at) but not with a link stainless band.

I can't see anywhere where they mention extra links either and every watch I've ever bought I've needed an extra link in the band and leather straps are normally too small as well (unless they have different sizes which some watch brands do) but Apple don't mention that either.

The Apple watch is not going to be an option for me unless strap size is a variable and it seems it isn't...
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    The prices are somewhat (quite a bit) higher than I'd expected to be honest.

I'd been reading web sites that suggested that the sports version would be around the $350 mark (and it's $500) and that the stainless version (which is what I'm interested in) would be around $700 to $800 (which it starts at) but not with a link stainless band.

I can't see anywhere where they mention extra links either and every watch I've ever bought I've needed an extra link in the band and leather straps are normally too small as well (unless they have different sizes which some watch brands do) but Apple don't mention that either.

The Apple watch is not going to be an option for me unless strap size is a variable and it seems it isn't...
    Apple have a sizing guide (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regio...zing_Guide.pdf).

The link bracelet will support wrist sizes from 140-205mm (for the 42mm watch size) and the leather strap from 145mm-215mm. That's quite a large variation (unless you have really huge wrists).

I wear a swiss watch daily. I could make the switch. But I am definitely planning on waiting until the second gen.

I like wearing a nice time piece. So I would be going at least the mid range. I am quite surprised by the price of the Watch Edition. Many premium swiss watches sell around the $3k - $5k range. To come in at $10k for essentially the same hardware seems excessive.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Glad I got my Pebble Time steel in the early bird offer. I've been dabbling with a normal Pebble the last 12mths and have always worn a watch, my issue was during meetings getting phone calls or keeping to time. The Pebble has helped a lot with that, and with Jawbone making a face for it, that has made it even more useful. I have two 15yr old watches I hope to last my lifetime, I can't see people getting their moneys worth with these as beautiful as they are. In the recent Jony Ives interview its clear that these watches were always intended to be a luxury item, not for the masses. I am curious as to whether you can claim one for work use in Australia? I use my Pebble pretty much during the work week and wear nothing on weekends.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast