Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Photobook from Apple

I've had one once before and I am certain it came on the day Apple said it would. This time, though, it has not arrived. I'm assuming it will be by courier, but I think last time it was an Australia Post courier (and they come in the morning, here). No idea whats going on this time, its being printed in Japan and the tracking only gets me as far as customs clearance there, which was 8 days ago. Clicking on the link which is supposed to give details for international sends me to a page that says "No record".

Has anyone else ordered thru iPhoto/Apple in recent months and can elucidate for me? At what point should I be getting in touch with Apple to say this isn't working out too well? Tomorrow? Next week? I know I am being impatient, but at the price of it ($76), I want it when they say it will come, and at after 4pm, I don't like my chances of it arriving in the next 50 minutes...

*grumble*

I buy the Apple photo books and calendars quite regularly.

I have only had 1 instance where my photo book did not arrive when I expected it to. I gave Apple a call and they arranged for another copy to be printed and couriered to me. That only took a few days to arrive (delivered via FedEx from Japan) and shortly after that my original order turned up via Australia Post. I called Apple back and told them the original order has now arrived, but they told me to keep both copies and to also accept their apologies.

I would give Apple a call and see what they say.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Thanks, Changa. I'll give it til Monday postie time I think. But yeah, calling Apple is high on my list of things to do.

I would think that your order is stuck somewhere with Australia Post. However if you need the book quickly (as I did - it was a Mother's Day Gift), I would contact Apple right away. - I am sure they will be on to it in a flash.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Its not a gift, its a book of photos of my recently passed-on cat, Tom. I didn't want to risk losing any of them, in the usual shambles that my photo collection is, so decided to do that. I would think you're right about Auspost, but TBH they have usually been good with deliveries to here. It may arrive tomorrow. fingers crossed.

Update. It arrived. Sometime between 7pm yesterday and 8am this morning. Dumped on the doorstep. Anyway, its here, its intact, and its exactly what I was looking for. Great to have all my good (and some not so good) photos of Tom in one place

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I've had one once before and I am certain it came on the day Apple said it would. This time, though, it has not arrived. I'm assuming it will be by courier, but I think last time it was an Australia Post courier (and they come in the morning, here). No idea whats going on this time, its being printed in Japan and the tracking only gets me as far as customs clearance there, which was 8 days ago. Clicking on the link which is supposed to give details for international sends me to a page that says "No record".

Has anyone else ordered thru iPhoto/Apple in recent months and can elucidate for me? At what point should I be getting in touch with Apple to say this isn't working out too well? Tomorrow? Next week? I know I am being impatient, but at the price of it ($76), I want it when they say it will come, and at after 4pm, I don't like my chances of it arriving in the next 50 minutes...

*grumble*
    Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Update. It arrived. Sometime between 7pm yesterday and 8am this morning. Dumped on the doorstep. Anyway, its here, its intact, and its exactly what I was looking for. Great to have all my good (and some not so good) photos of Tom in one place
    I quoted before I got the last post,

I ordered on 11th Feb, Delivery was scheduled for 20th, delivered yesterday at 9am.

I also had a few days, without tracking, only cleared customs, then yesterday, 2 scans in Syd then it said dispatched 7.13am.

Mine was not through Aus Post thought, DHL.

I made one for my dads birthday, it's all pics of our family, starting with my wedding, through the kids childhood, it's outstanding, i'm so impressed with it, @ $150 not cheap but it's there forever and something you would want to share with everyone that enters the house.

May try another supplier HP?? but the ease through Iphoto makes it possibly a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lostom View Post
    I made one for my dads birthday, it's all pics of our family, starting with my wedding, through the kids childhood, it's outstanding, i'm so impressed with it, @ $150 not cheap but it's there forever and something you would want to share with everyone that enters the house.

May try another supplier HP?? but the ease through Iphoto makes it possibly a better choice.
    I've tried using HP before (as well as Vistaprint). They were definitely cheaper but nowhere near the quality which Apple produces. I now only get the books and calendars via Apple.

Whenever I give them away as gifts, everyone always comments on the quality of the product (did not get the same reaction with the Vistaprint calendars I had made though).

Quote Originally Posted by changa View Post
    I've tried using HP before (as well as Vistaprint). They were definitely cheaper but nowhere near the quality which Apple produces. I now only get the books and calendars via Apple.

Whenever I give them away as gifts, everyone always comments on the quality of the product (did not get the same reaction with the Vistaprint calendars I had made though).
    Thanks mate, good to know. I'll stick with Apple.

I used these people recently for a soft cover book it was very cheap and I was happy with the quality of the printing. I was worried the colours wouldn't be accurate but I was pleasantly surprised. Will try a larger size hardcover book next time and see how it goes.
    Products | PhotobooksRus

Quote Originally Posted by doofus View Post
    I used these people recently for a soft cover book it was very cheap and I was happy with the quality of the printing. I was worried the colours wouldn't be accurate but I was pleasantly surprised. Will try a larger size hardcover book next time and see how it goes.
    Products | PhotobooksRus
    They have a sale on right now, looks like some good deals!

I got a 60 pages Spiral bound A4 (approx) and was $76, thats more expensive than your lot, but there are a lot of ways to make it yours. The cover is soft, but I was more concerned with the glue on the regular soft and hard cover books. It came apart in the small (22 page) soft cover book I had made as a test run: hence the decision to go with spiral, which can lay flat.

I've always been happy with the quality of the Apple print product, but I must confess I was surprised with the books at what seemed to be lesser quality paper, than the calendar I had made years ago and which was printed in the US and which had a much heavier paper in use. Perhaps thats normal. Whatever the case, they are better than blurb!

Kyte I think if you have a special project you need printed then it is worth spending the extra for a top quality product. I just wanted to get some photos together in a book form and thought I would give them try. A friend had told me he was surprised at the quality so I just thought I would spend the $30 or so and see, I was very happy for the amount it cost, the colours were accurate which is something I am particular about.