Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Contacts only please...

hi,

i am trying to erase and setup my iPhone5 with contacts being the only ones restored…i am having some issues;

1. the iPhone is backed up via iCloud and also via iTunes on my iMac
    2. everything is backed up, contacts, emails, apps, calendars etc etc
    3. i then go ahead and erase and setup the iPhone without restoring to the previous backup
    4. i look into contacts on my iPhone and there are none, empty.
    5. i look into my contacts on my iMac and these are also empty.

my question is, how do i now get the contacts back to my iPhone (and my iMac) without restoring the old backup because it restores everything, apps, settings etc etc ?

Marcin

The contacts ought to restore when you log in to icloud. If they don't, there's something else happening (set to look only at your on board contacts perhaps?)

i have just logged on to iCloud and the contacts only display what's on the SIM card strange since i did do a backup this morning to iCloud...

strange...it seems that the only way i can restore all my contacts on my iPhone is to complete a full restore...which is pointless because it restores\loads all the apps and settings as well...
    i did the restore option from both, within the iPhone and from iTunes to no avail, each time it restores the entire phone to the last backup i created.

Have you tried logging in to http://www.icloud.com? I've never seen contacts attached to my SIM since I gave up Nokias.

I've just gone into my own account on the iCloud website, and theres an option to export all contacts. You should try doing that, then reimporting on your computer to your address book. They should then regenerate to iCloud properly (you may end up with dupes, but don't worry about that just yet). Once they are in iCloud, please do yourself a favour and get them off the SIM, they do you no good there (unless you constantly switch between phones)

thanks, i will try your suggestions...the problem is that the contacts on the Sim are only 3 entries, APPLE, my own number and Vodafones Cust Serv there is nothing else...

i did a full backup to the iCloud yesterday, i logged on to iCloud and the contacts on iCloud only consisted of the 3 SIM entries
    i then got a got worried so i restored my phone from the backup i created yesterday, and it did restore it completely...all the apps, settings, and all the 100 entries in contacts!

this is where i am very confused, on the iPhone i have all my contacts (100 or so) on the iCloud, the iMac and iTunes there are only the 3 SIM card entries...

very strange...i need a break to clear my mind and see when and how am i getting this wrong...