Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buying New Imac 27 with Retina

Hi There,

I have a late 2009 Imac 21.5 which I have been thinking about upgrading.
    My useage is pretty limited as I am now retired so the benefits of hand off to other Apple products inherent in Yosemite would now be pretty limited.
    The forums seem to suggest that the current version of Retina display is not too good and perhaps a wait on the new chip to be released later this year might be beneficial.
    My useage is now limited and I struggle to justify the expense of an upgrade to a 27 inch given the base one with Retina is about $2,500.
    Finally I am only up to 25% useage of the HDD after 6 years use.
    I guess I am seeking comments from fellow users to test whether my logic is sound?

Hi. I'm a long time retiree, and have had exactly the same experience. I'm tending to scan the 'Net; add photos; do some downloading, and using Gmail. I probably use the advantages of an iMac about 20% overall. No way would I pony up the cost of the Retina version at the price they're asking. I have a similar problem with my iPod(s). Apple is going for low capacity "phone like" units,64Gb tops. The problems that gives me is when I want to load songs on my iPod - I've got more music than 64Gb; so iTunes now has a crazy way of handling the lower capacity units.

I hate Yosemite - my 7 years old great-grandson could reproduce the icons, which were the work of a Brit, and what he came up with would have caused Steve Jobs to ditch it and give him an ultimatum. Steve, gone - the Apple innovative desktop has wallowed.

It appears to me that the Apple PC is so costly because the sales have dived, as have PCs all of the world. No need for word processors, spreadsheets - so no costly Office suite. I don't view my screen with the thought that it will give me a pixel setup that looks like a photo. I want my screen to show me what I've requested, and a lower screen resolution doesn't bother me. I don't need a high capacity HDD (Apple's price is totally exorbitant), 500Gb will do. Then I add "really" inexpensive portable drives (1Tb for $59). I use a 2nd party mouse ($20), and I haunt stores for low cost Apple keyboards.

Frankly I would could do what I do on a PC using Windows (Win 10 will be a LOT better than prior versions) and get a ripper of a machine fora grand, including quality components. But, I've owned Macs since 1982, and bad habits die hard.

No way will I buy another - I've got 2 generation machines and they'll see me out.

Hope I haven't caused a ruction with this post, but I'm really unhappy with the current Apple setup - which seems to be mobile 'phone centric. $1000 for a mobile 'phone - there's one born every minute.

I switched to a Mini (via a macbook) a couple of years ago, I have a Dell U2410 screen, but they have now released a high res (2560x1440) 25" (U2515H) which is what I'll be having instead of a massive 27" retina screen of any kind. I don't like having to shift my body to look at all parts of a screen and I find that for me, 24-25" is the sweet spot for size vs eye movement. I was at a friend's place yesterday and found myself *leaning* left and right to see the screen edges properly. Eek. I do photography, web, email, iMessage... not much more, anymore. I guess I would get a camera if I wanted FaceTime, but I don't... so I don't. And I agree, theres no real benefit in handoff for those of us retired and not needing such integrated connectivity. Mind you, we all coped perfectly well without it, only a year ago. I have even downgraded to Mavericks and have made a conscious decision to stay with that, because I simply do NOT like Yosemite. Its got nice wallpapers.

Hi Kite,

Thanks for the response.
    I had not thought of possible "sweet spots" on larger screens, because I only have a 21.5 screen at the moment.
    I have also retained Mavericks due to my perceived problems on Yosemite (Apple released update 10.10.2 today), and as noted on a couple of forums.
    My Son-in-Law has upgraded to Yosemite because he is a pro graphic designer and needs the new bits and bobs. He seems happy with the new OSX.

Regards
    Integrated connectivity is not an issue with me now.

He seems satisfied - although he is running a much later macbook linked to a 27" apple screen (not retina).

I confess: I'm a self-funded pensioner, retired for 16 years and loving it. Bought the 27" 5k iMac and fully optioned it up. It's a beautiful computer, although the thin edge-mounted speakers are absolute crap. I've had many Macs and a few PCs starting with the original Macintosh 128k in 1984, Apple ][s before that. For what the 5k Mac is designed for it's the best Mac ever, IMO, although this MacBook Pro w/ Retina runs a close second.

The new iMac is almost never off and is in use some 8 hours every day.

Again, I confess: I am a gamer. Yep at 70-odd I love my video games. I've always been a computer gamer. My current love is the MMO "Elder Scrolls Online". This game looks so very delicious on the 27" Retina. I've disabled the game's anti-aliasing because it's unnecessary with such tiny pixels.

I am glad I bought it when I did because I fear all of Apple's pricing will rise a lot due to the devaluing A$. Might be a hint there to buy now before prices skyrocket.

As for Yosemite ... It's been dumbed down somewhat compared to previous OSs. Making OSX more iOS-like is a really really stupid idea. I hate the flat bland look of the GUI. But aside from how it looks, Yosemite has behaved flawlessly on all my Macs, older and newer. I've grown to not hate it so much.

On wallpapers. I'm of two minds. I'm either into flat single colour backgrounds (most of the time) because that minimises distractions. Or, I make my own from photography or from screenshots from games. Currently the 5k display with Elder Scrolls Online makes some really astonishing full screen screenshots. So for the moment my desktop is swinging through a wide variety of grabs from the game. They look really good. It's nice to have the option to do that. Yet, I'll probably be sick of that soon and return to a mid-grey monotone background.

Peter

Good for you, Peter, on the gaming. I'm afraid I gave up somewhere around Kings Quest IV. LOL.

Its funny how some people find Yosemite better than Mavericks (in terms of stability) and some, like me, had no issues with Mavericks from the get go, yet Yosemite has been nothing but grief, even on a totally clean install with no migration of information or apps. I gave up.

I've only been retired 4 years, but sadly it was a forced early retirement (illness - I'm cured, now, apparently, and am on the Age Pension oh joy) and I just had enough in super to pay the house off, so its the pension for me, and nothing fancy. I could save a couple of years and get the big iMac, but I need air-conditioning and other goodies before that

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Good for you, Peter, on the gaming. I'm afraid I gave up somewhere around Kings Quest IV. LOL.

Its funny how some people find Yosemite better than Mavericks (in terms of stability) and some, like me, had no issues with Mavericks from the get go, yet Yosemite has been nothing but grief, even on a totally clean install with no migration of information or apps. I gave up.

I've only been retired 4 years, but sadly it was a forced early retirement (illness - I'm cured, now, apparently, and am on the Age Pension oh joy) and I just had enough in super to pay the house off, so its the pension for me, and nothing fancy. I could save a couple of years and get the big iMac, but I need air-conditioning and other goodies before that
    That whole Yosemite/Mavericks thing is amusing! I myself had so many bugs in Mavericks it wasn't funny. It corrupted two different internal hard drives around 5 times for me, there were constant Safari crashes (haven't had one since Yosemite came out), mail issues, slow boot, slow app loading time, unstable finder etc. Yosemite seems to have fixed almost all bugs for me, yet for others it has been the total opposite !!!
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Colin1942 View Post
    I have a late 2009 Imac 21.5 which I have been thinking about upgrading.
    5 years is a reasonable lifespan to get from a desktop and they're still worth a few bob second hand, so there is nothing wrong with thinking about upgrading it now. It's far enough in the past so that everything has got a lot faster, so whatever you get will be a big step forward in performance.

The forums seem to suggest that the current version of Retina display is not too good and perhaps a wait on the new chip to be released later this year might be beneficial.
    My useage is now limited and I struggle to justify the expense of an upgrade to a 27 inch given the base one with Retina is about $2,500.
    I think the retina iMac is fantastic, but it is pushing the limits of the currently available hardware and my hunch is that they will get old a bit more quickly than some. They're not unlike the first MacBook Airs in some ways - fantastic at the time, but they got better quickly. The retina iMac is also $3,000, not $2,500 on the AU AppleStore.

The standard 27" models on the other hand are well sorted and extremely powerful. The screens may not have the wow factor of the retina, but they're still pretty impressive. You could get the base model 27" and add a 256GB SSD to it for $2,439. This will give you a machine with heaps of power, a great big screen, and it will stay fast for a lot of years. The fact that you don't needs heaps of disk space makes an SSD a must in my opinion, because they are extremely fast compared to spinning drives. SSDs are a bit like multi processors were back in the naughties - once you've used them, you won't want to go back. They're a huge step up in performance.

So, if you want to upgrade sooner rather than later, this is what I would recommend. If you're really keen on a retina machine, I would wait until the 2nd generation, which is likely to include a range of models, all of which will be much better than the current offering.

As for the whole Yosemite vs earlier OS debate, I don't like the look of it much myself, but I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm using it regularly. I've got it on some work machines now and will be upgrading at home soon. This is Jony Ive's first go at the Mac user interface. It's a big job. He's a smart guy. I have no doubt it will get better.

Default Buying New Imac 27 with Retina

Any particular reason you want to upgrade?
    If your usage is limited then it sounds like your current machine is more than up to the task.
    Replacing the hard drive with an SSD will make it feel like a whole new machine.

It's not my money so I can't tell you what to do, but I'd examine whether you actually need a new machine or if it's upgraditus you've been struck with.
    I'd just use the 2009 machine until it dies and is uneconomical to repair.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Yosemite seems to have fixed almost all bugs for me, yet for others it has been the total opposite !!!
    Indeed! Which is why I have been nervy about getting another mini as an HTPC. I was contemplating the base model, I've no intention of using it for anything except serving Plex and browser stuff, but the fact that it comes wit Yosemite makes me nervous as heck.

Hi Leon,
    Hey you aren't supposed to be psychic.
    Yes the current machine is well up to any task I ask of it. And maybe I do have upgraditus, due perhaps to my circumstances.
    I will look into replacing hard drive with SSD.

Hi Soulman,

Thanks for your comments, particularly my mix up with the Oz and Us Apple Store prices, good one!
    Your comments about Retina were what I was thinking.
    I will look further into SSD replacement on my current machine first and then into lower spec 27" Imac's.

;

I'm thinking at the moment of replacing my 2010 3.33 six core Mac Pro with a Retina iMac. I was also just thinking about the exchange rate thing also. I'm pretty sure the next update will have a hefty price rise.

Thanks for your comments, particularly my mix up with the Oz and Us Apple Store prices, good one!
    Your comments about Retina were what I was thinking.
    I will look further into SSD replacement on my current machine first and then into lower spec 27" Imac's.
    No worries Colin. An SSD upgrade is well worth looking at. I don't think it's all that easy to change drives in your model though. I'm pretty sure you have to do it from the front, so you have to pull the screen off. Not for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjallan View Post
    I'm thinking at the moment of replacing my 2010 3.33 six core Mac Pro with a Retina iMac.
    That's going to be a step down in performance unless you go for the 4GHz i7 - Geekbench puts your 3.33GHz Pro at 13,890, the 3.5GHz i5 Retina iMac at 10,771 and the i7 version at 15,465. Big difference between the iMac processors. I imagine that Pro with an SSD and powerful graphics card could still outpace the i7 iMac. Not as cool though!
    Last edited by soulman; 1st February 2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added link to video.

I also suggest looking into SSD upgrades, as it can make later model Core 2 Duo machines perform very well!

I'd also wait for the second generation of Retina iMac if you wanted one, as the first generation of Retina anything always seems flawed in one way or another. The iPad 3, the iPod Touch 4, the original Macbook Pro Retinas etc.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    That's going to be a step down in performance unless you go for the 4GHz i7 - Geekbench puts your 3.33GHz Pro at 13,890, the 3.5GHz i5 Retina iMac at 10,771 and the i7 version at 15,465. Big difference between the iMac processors. I imagine that Pro with an SSD and powerful graphics card could still outpace the i7 iMac. Not as cool though!
    I would get the 4GHz i7. Also, this already has a PCI-E SSD. I need a new monitor, which is why I was considering the iMac. Also, don't really know about spending $400 - $500 dollars on a graphics card for a going on 5 year old computer. Also, my airport card has just died.

However, without wanting to hijack this topic, I am certainly open to any other useful suggestions.

Hi All,

Thanks for the informative posts.
    I will just retire into my own little world and come out again when and if my current iMac decides to quit.
    The posts have really helped as they focussed me on what I NEED rather than what would be nice (upgraditus maybe??)

Hi All,

Thanks for the informative posts.
    I will just retire into my own little world and come out again when and if my current iMac decides to quit.
    The posts have really helped as they focussed me on what I NEED rather than what would be nice (upgraditus maybe??)
    No need to go into your little world. Forum is here to answer questions and offer advice.

My main home machine is an early 2009 Mac 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo and although 6 years old now, it can handle everything I throw at it (mainly photography in Aperture these days).

My work machine is a 2009 Mac Pro which is still going strong today.
    I've often thought about upgrading my machines, but at the end of the day, they are working fine and keep up with all current apps.

Hope you get another 3-4 solid years from your machine.
    Something about Jimby.

I would get the 4GHz i7. Also, this already has a PCI-E SSD. I need a new monitor, which is why I was considering the iMac. Also, don't really know about spending $400 - $500 dollars on a graphics card for a going on 5 year old computer. Also, my airport card has just died.

However, without wanting to hijack this topic, I am certainly open to any other useful suggestions.
    I see what you mean and I guess the airport card is something you use, so it makes sense you wanting to upgrade now. The iMac won't be a big step up in terms of performance though, especially given that you're running a super fast SSD in the Pro. If it wasn't for the monitor & airport, I'd suggest you wait for the iMacs to be revved again, maybe even replace your monitor now and wait for the next generation of Mac Mini, but you may not have that luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    No need to go into your little world. Forum is here to answer questions and offer advice.
    Leon's right there, Colin. You're always welcome.

I'm thinking at the moment of replacing my 2010 3.33 six core Mac Pro with a Retina iMac. I was also just thinking about the exchange rate thing also. I'm pretty sure the next update will have a hefty price rise.
    I have an 4GHz i7 Retina iMac, and I find it suitably fast for everything I do. I used to own a MacPro1,1 and found Thunderbolt to be an amazingly fast interface for my various hard drives. The display is amazingly crisp also
    27" Retina iMac, 4.0GHz quad-core i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, M295X | iPhone 6+ 128GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast