Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I also suggest looking into SSD upgrades, as it can make later model Core 2 Duo machines perform very well!

I'd also wait for the second generation of Retina iMac if you wanted one, as the first generation of Retina anything always seems flawed in one way or another. The iPad 3, the iPod Touch 4, the original Macbook Pro Retinas etc.
    I've had a different experience with my original 15" MBP w/ Retina, fully CTO'd and with Yosemite. I can't imagine ever needing to replace this unit (for something newer as in 2nd gen?). It's been superb and an excellent untethered mobile Mac. I'd like to know why you think it is flawed.

As for choosing the Gen 1 5K iMac, mine is fully optioned and blows away my 2008 Mac Pro's performance and our older iMacs. When deciding to buy this iMac, I did have reservations about Apple rushing ahead with this model, not waiting for the coming Broadwell CPUs. But Like Apple, I couldn't wait to sample the retina display. I was not disappointed. The 5k iMac is amazing.

Peter
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

Well, I'm having second thoughts now. If I get the iMac, I'll also have to get an expensive Thunderbolt storage solution. I'll have to weigh up the costs and see what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingme View Post
    I've had a different experience with my original 15" MBP w/ Retina, fully CTO'd and with Yosemite. I can't imagine ever needing to replace this unit (for something newer as in 2nd gen?). It's been superb and an excellent untethered mobile Mac. I'd like to know why you think it is flawed.

As for choosing the Gen 1 5K iMac, mine is fully optioned and blows away my 2008 Mac Pro's performance and our older iMacs. When deciding to buy this iMac, I did have reservations about Apple rushing ahead with this model, not waiting for the coming Broadwell CPUs. But Like Apple, I couldn't wait to sample the retina display. I was not disappointed. The 5k iMac is amazing.

Peter
    I should have said the 13 Inch Macbook Pro Retina - which was underpowered for the retina display.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Hi Leo and Sulman,
    Really appreciate your comments.
    I do continue to watch the forums as there are some really probing thoughts published.
    My needs are quite modest and are well covered by my Mac 21.5, Core 2 Duo. Forum has refocussed me towards NEEDS, which is the important factor I was seeking.

I have started a new topic on my situation here: http://www.mactalk.com.au/14/119181-...ml#post1217142

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2